Bushing Replacement Tips?

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2009, 11:48 PM

Bushing Replacement Tips?

So I just bought a Front-End Kit to replace all my bushings, tie rods, ball joints etc. Any tips or experiences before I dig into this and rip everything apart? I've never done this before and honestly know nothing about steering and suspension work. Wish me luck and as always, your thoughts are appreciated.
Old April 8th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Wilson05
So I just bought a Front-End Kit to replace all my bushings, tie rods, ball joints etc. Any tips or experiences before I dig into this and rip everything apart? I've never done this before and honestly know nothing about steering and suspension work. Wish me luck and as always, your thoughts are appreciated.
STOP!

Step away from the wrench.

Get yourself a Chassis Service Manual first! There are several potential problems here. Improper reassembly can lead to a dangerous situation while driving. Improper disassembly can lead to a coil spring wedged up your nose. This isn't very difficult, but you need to do it correctly.
Old April 8th, 2009, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
STOP!

Step away from the wrench.

Get yourself a Chassis Service Manual first! There are several potential problems here. Improper reassembly can lead to a dangerous situation while driving. Improper disassembly can lead to a coil spring wedged up your nose. This isn't very difficult, but you need to do it correctly.
Joe wouldn't a coil spring up your nose help one breathe better?
Old April 8th, 2009, 01:05 PM

Assuming you were still breathing after removal
Old April 8th, 2009, 02:20 PM

I had a front coil spring pop out and hit me in the chest.

It fractured my brestbone, and it could have killed me.

Stored energy in the form of a coil spring is really dangerous if you do not know what you are doing.
Old April 8th, 2009, 04:54 PM

Well I stripped my front suspension today wit the exception of the passenger side upper control arm. I was loosing light and strength. I will try to get it off early tomorrow. that one looks more of a pain than the upper drivers side. Tomorrow i will get the old bushings pushed out and the new ones put in. I need to buy the lower ball joints yet but have everything else. I have energy suspension poly bushings. The front suspension should be really tight. Then if all goes well I will get the alignment done and the last two tires mounted. I took the Eibachs out and cut down the old F41 springs to lower the front end a little more. I may have taken a little to much out but I am not sure. It looks way cool, but I can be sure if I will have any clearance issues till it all goes back together. I have no problem with the springs popping out now as they are pretty free when taking them out.
Old April 8th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Improper disassembly can lead to a coil spring wedged up your nose.

I hate when that happens.

Safety is number one, just handle compressed coil springs like a live bomb.

Take pics and get the manual, a lot of those pieces-parts can go back in backwards or upside down and sometimes people disremember things.
Old April 9th, 2009, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Safety is number one, just handle compressed coil springs like a live bomb.

Take pics and get the manual, a lot of those pieces-parts can go back in backwards or upside down and sometimes people disremember things.
I completely agree here!! I did a new front end on my Olds and handling those compressed springs was probably the scariest thing I've done on that car. Just make sure that if you compress those springs that you're not near either end of them. Just like the barrel of a gun. Those spring compressors work, but you never know if those little flimsy arms are going to snap off. Scary stuff...now I know how a bomb squad tech must feel.

My pops had a buddy that was doing a set of springs on his Chevy and chained the spring down. Turns out that the chain had a weak. Dad said that thing launched off of the control arm and hit his garage door so hard that it busted the panel out fo the metal door.

In addition to pictures don't forget to pre-assemble your new parts and match them up to the old parts once you remove the tie rod ends and center link. Then mark everythign with a little scratch or a permenant marker. Be sure to mark your pitman arm and line it back up properly to the steering box if you remove it.
Old April 9th, 2009, 01:56 PM

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! what a day. It took the shop all day to get the old bushings out. AND!!! the top arms have these washers that go on the inside part of the bar that holds everything. Well one on each arm is gone. They look special but I will try to use regular washers. Then no one had bottom balljoints. Finally found some and realized these are press ins. Not sure if I can get them out myself let along back in. And it is now almost 5. A beautiful day wasted. I was hoping to get it alltogether today so I could go to the tire shop to mount my last two tires and rims and get an alignment so I could make the first cruise of the season. Getting the bushings out has been the hardest thing of my front suspension rebuild. I have never had a problem with the coil springs. And won't any more as I cut the front springs so much that they are very easy to get in and out.
Old April 19th, 2009, 12:09 PM

Where can I get a Chassis assembly manual?