steering wheel is binding up

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2009, 03:37 PM

steering wheel is binding up

I recently changed my prior, but upgraded Saginaw box with a fast ratio to a rebuilt Saginaw box made by AGR that is a variable ratio box. My steering column is a Flaming River with a solid shaft and connector. My steering pump is a new Type II Saginaw with cannister. If I drive for a while, the shaft and power steering become too hot to touch and the steering wheel acts like it is binding up, if I let it set and cool down the problem goes away for a little while until it gets hot again. I think the headers are causing the shaft to expand and creating a situation where the bearings in the column are binding. I am thinking that if I go to a rag joint type connection at the box, it will allow for some expansion and hopefully will cure the problem. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old July 4th, 2009, 08:49 PM
car guy

Does it use splines the slide in with a set screw to hold it? If thats the case I would get it hot to where it binds then loosen the set screw so it slides and see if bind is gone. If it already bottomed out. Knock down .050 or so from the end of the shaft and try it.

You also could just have a junk type II pump. I seen more than one defective right out of the reman box.

If you have a chance please post pics for how you monted you type II. Did you make brackets or does some make something?
Old July 6th, 2009, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Does it use splines the slide in with a set screw to hold it? If thats the case I would get it hot to where it binds then loosen the set screw so it slides and see if bind is gone. If it already bottomed out. Knock down .050 or so from the end of the shaft and try it.

You also could just have a junk type II pump. I seen more than one defective right out of the reman box.

If you have a chance please post pics for how you monted you type II. Did you make brackets or does some make something?
1. Yes it does, I will try this, but not till later this week.

2. Always a possibility! and probably given my luck ,a strong liklihood!

3. I will take a close up of the brackets for you, these were custom made.