78 Toro parts?

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2023, 10:28 AM

78 Toro parts?

Any interest in 78 Toronado parts?
I've never parted one. Thinking about grabbing one i saw.
Old July 15th, 2023, 11:53 AM

Hey, how are you doing? Long time, no see!

I have both a ‘77 and a ‘78 Toronado, both XS models, and both are pretty much complete as far as parts needs, but there are a few minor things I could use.

But first, these cars are not terribly popular in the restoration market. There are people who collect them, for sure, but there are not many. But if someone is restoring one of them and needs a part, they’re pretty much a captive audience for someone parting one out.

First off, is the car an XS? That’s the version, made only for 1977 and 1978, with the wrap around rear window. That was an expensive option back in the day, and only about 10% of all Toros made those two years were ordered with it. That back glass can command significant money if what I see on ebay from time to time is any indication. Typical asking prices are around $1,000. I don’t know how quickly they sell, though.

The wheels on these cars are unique to the first and second-generation Toronados (and same year Eldorados) because of the front-wheel drive, and none are available in the aftermarket. Half-way decent examples easily sell for $50 to $100, and nice-condition examples are often around $150.

The ‘77 and ‘78 Toronados differed very little in terms of body and sheetmetal. The only differences are the grille and the location of the rear side-marker lights. So pretty much any body or trim part that fits a ‘77 will fit a ‘78 and vice-versa.

One common problem in these cars (and many others from that era) is deterioration of the polyurethane rear fender extensions on each side. If yours are in good shape, they can be worth some money as well. Aftermarket pieces are available, but they’re fiberglass, and not everyone wants that. I put the fiberglass ones on my ‘78, and I’ve been happy with them.

The engines both years are 403s, but they differed in their ignition systems because GM was trying new things to improve emissions control. The ‘77 ignition system is unique to that year, and the ‘78 is as well and is different from the ‘77. Parts for these systems are non-existent, and many owners have ditched these one-year-only systems and installed a standard GM HEI distributor.

Radiators for second-generation Toronados are not available in the aftermarket, and owners who need one either have to have their original rebuilt or find something that is close and can be made to work. If the radiator is in good shape, it can be worth some money. The radiator is different (larger) than other same-year models (like the 98 and Delta 88) that used the same engine. Radiators for those cars are available, and they can be made to work, but some slight modifications are necessary.

If you do get this car, there is one small part that I would love to have, assuming it’s in good shape on your car, and that is the little mounting bracket that sits on top of the headrest on each side that the shoulder belt guide clips to. If you have two good ones, I’ll take them regardless of the color. Thanks!

Old July 15th, 2023, 12:02 PM

I am well, hope you are also.
Car seems in pretty good shape from pix.
Interior is very nice.
No keys or title. I think it's worth my while. Gonna try to get it this week. Thanks for the insight.
I'll post it if I get it.
Old July 16th, 2023, 11:30 AM

I might be interested in some parts and I have a friend that might too, depending on if it's a xs or not. Let us know if you get it.
Old July 16th, 2023, 11:33 AM

I don't think it's an sx. This week I plan to pick it up.
Old July 16th, 2023, 01:26 PM

Great, what color is the interior? Does it have a sun roof? Do you have a picture?
Old July 16th, 2023, 01:29 PM

Haven't picked it up yet . Gonna shoot for Tuesday evening. I don't think it has a sunroof. Interior is Red velour.
Old July 16th, 2023, 01:30 PM

I will keep my eye peeled!
Old July 18th, 2023, 05:11 PM

So here she is. I haven't decided on what to do with the big girl. It's in great shape for a North Eastern car. I'm gonna remove the tumbler and try to fire her up in a few days. Paint is rough, but she's solid. The interior is gorgeous. No keys, no title. I want to at least take it for a spin. Passenger quarter has a small spot of rust, other than that, it'll be a shame to take her apart.
Old July 18th, 2023, 06:04 PM

Wow. In the immortal words of Yogi Berra, it's deja vu all over again.

That car is the same color scheme as mine. Mine has a leather interior, though, as well as the XS package with the moonroof,

In my opinion, that car is WAY to nice to part out. I would think you could get a locksmith to make a set of keys. How did you get it onto the trailer or how do you move it around? Is that what that button is on the lower part of the dash on the left side below the brake release handle? It engages the starter?

Also, states usually have a way to get a title for a car that doesn't have one. It may involve some paperwork and such, but it might be worth the effort on this car. At least it might be worth looking into.

Heck, the car still has the elephant trunk snorkel that connects the air cleaner to the front of the car behind the left side headlights. Very few surviving '77 or '78 Toros still have that. Neither of mine do.

Yes, it has issues, but what car doesn't?

Last edited by jaunty75; July 18th, 2023 at 06:08 PM.
Old July 18th, 2023, 06:17 PM

Title

I plan on removing the tumbler, I have a few with keys. If I do title it, I got door and trunk cylinders from cars I've parted.
I went to pop the trans linkage off the column, it was done already. I was able to move the rod and shift the trans. The front wheels were straight. The seller helped me load it, we used a floor jack and wheel dollies to scoot it over a couple inches and I winched it right on the trailer. Went up and on without a fight.
I kind of agree with your assessment. Even the tires look to be in good shape. The future is in question l.o.l.
Old July 18th, 2023, 06:23 PM

In looking at the engine compartment photos, I do see some issues, mostly minor.

The upper radiator hose has what appears to be a patch on it. That's not necessary. Radiator hoses are readily available for these cars.

Right below the air cleaner I see what looks like TWO EGR valves. The correct one is the one mounted to the engine. What that other thing is right in front of it with the two vacuum hoses attached I have no idea.

Behind the distributor there looks like a vertically-oriented pie plate. That's where vacuum servo for the cruise control is, so this is probably what's left of the servo. It's missing the rubber diaphragm and connecting hardware.

On the driver's side fender is the control box for the cruise control, and there should be a cable plugged into that two-pronged connector on the upper right. Obviously the cruise control doesn't work.

But these are minor things!

Old July 18th, 2023, 06:29 PM

I notice the diaphragm right away. The other stuff I did not. As I said, she's still on the trailer. I am dying to see if it'll run and drive, I'm betting it will.
last year I bought a 76 4dr Delta 88 off a 90 something yr old, it was sitting a while, that thing purred like a kitten when I got it running, drove it around a bit.

Last edited by oldcutlass; July 18th, 2023 at 08:02 PM.
Old July 25th, 2023, 06:13 AM

It runs, drives, 46k original miles, i'm parting it
Old July 26th, 2023, 09:10 AM

I'd die on the vine, trying to part something like that. But you are close to the east coast with an enourmous amount of people. Very complete. Very original and beautiful interior! Someone will want it. Id try to title it and move it whole.

Last edited by newmexguy; July 26th, 2023 at 09:14 AM.
Old July 26th, 2023, 09:13 AM

Yeah, but shipping is shipping, and they do go all over the country. You're in the arid southwest where parts don't rust. Think of the holy grail of body and fender restorers everywhere, "Arizona sheet metal." I would think that your being in New Mexico would have no impact on your ability to sell parts and should make it easier. Someone needs something, he needs it, and so much the better that it's from a rust-free climate.

Last edited by jaunty75; July 26th, 2023 at 09:16 AM.
Old July 26th, 2023, 09:16 AM

It getting parted. Not investing time or $$ in it.
Old July 26th, 2023, 09:18 AM

Distance matters. Not trying to start a flame war, but many midwesterners will strive to avoid shipping at almost any costs. My best friend is from Fort Wayne. He cites examples all the time.
Old July 26th, 2023, 10:13 AM

Most of us here are car guys, we care about the preservation of a neat Oldsmobile. Dooly obviously isn't a car guy, he's here to make money. He couldn't care less about a complete, low mileage, top model Olds that doesn't need much. To him, it's just a collection of parts to sell. In fact, I'm surprised he hasn't yet gotten pissed off and reply to everyone "If you like it so much, come to PA with $2000 and you can fix and title it yourself".
Old July 26th, 2023, 01:26 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If it weren't for parts cars, a lot of cars would never be restored. I have never bought anything from him or had a conversation with him but, Big Dooley has sold lots of parts on here.
Old July 26th, 2023, 05:35 PM

I've never talked smack about any one on this site. I don't appreciate Blake7's comment. Easy to talk **** from behind a keyboard.
Come buy the car. I'm in Stroudsburg Pa.
I did buy it to make money. Money to spend on my other cars. It wasn't terribly far, I never drove one before, the seats I fell in love with, paid a little to much for it, in my opinion.
NO TITLE. Got it running, drove it around the block twice, now i part it. Everyone says it's so easy to get a title, but no one wants to do it. I mainly mess with big Deltas, I collect parts for mine sell what I don't want or need. As far as me not being a car guy, most of the cars I buy aren't worth restoring, this one could be. Ask all the people I've helped put their cars together, ask them if I'm a car guy or not. I'm in the middle of a disc brake conversion on my sister inlaws Stang, I saved that Caddy in 2016, it's registered, and put some miles on it. The Ta is my wife's, soon the delta conv 88 will be resurrected. Some guys really hand me a laugh, they want to save everything.
if I had a title I might have tried to save the Toro, or flip it. It almost ended up in a demo derby, I got to it first. What's better, me parting it so other people can fix their cars or it getting debied?
Truthfully it's not my favorite car. I dont like the body style. I don't want to put money it. I want to get money out of it.

Old July 26th, 2023, 06:10 PM
71 cutlass convertible

I don't know bigdooly. But it looks like he fills a niche on finding parts for the big oldsmobiles. It is an area that not many people try and fill. It may be an area only a glutton for punishment would try. Blake I am sure if you want it he would sell it to you.
Old July 26th, 2023, 07:11 PM

Ishish2

Ishish2, This is my first Toronado. I probably am a glutton for punishment for buying it. But I figured let's give it a shot, I went there thinking maybe I'd try to get a title and throw plates and insurance on it and drive it a bit, it's big, obnoxious, and big gms are the best riding cars on the planet imo.
it's pretty solid, for its age, and for where it spent its life, (N.J.) it is a very good overall, but to put a paint job on it, and fix all the little things, to me, I ain't the guy. After spending 1/2 the day swapping the tumbler looking for the old alarm, find the killswitch, get it running, but the alarm is still flashing the lights, wipers, windows work when they want too, I decided to part it.
if it were an Eldo Convertible, it would be a different story.
Old July 26th, 2023, 07:21 PM

Newmexguy

Big parts are a pain to ship. I shipped a hood once, never again. Bumpers, depends on the bumper 74-75 front bumpers, no, I've shipped doors, fenders,
the Toro fenders I may ship but it is a lot of work.
Hard to find cardboard big enough.
Hoods need to be crated. I've had a 74-76 dashpad destroyed, I ate it. Small -medium parts i'll ship all day. Big parts I've spent 2 + hrs preparing, unless im getting top $$ it aint happening no more.
Old July 26th, 2023, 09:22 PM

I hear you on the Eldo Convertible, mine is my favorite car! The Toros aint far behind but there is a few Cadillacs ahead of it.
Old July 27th, 2023, 04:45 AM
72Cutlass S

I titled a car with no title once and never again. What a complete PITA. Of course I live in CA so that didn’t help matters. I must have made 5 trips to the DMV before it was done. Oh. And if it hasn’t been titled since say 2017 guess who get stuck paying all the back registration fees with penalties. You did yourself a favor by passing on getting it titled.

Last edited by gs72; July 27th, 2023 at 04:51 AM.
Old August 29th, 2023, 03:31 PM

Thanks, it's a shame, very solid car for the north east.