1966 Delta 88 Switch Pitch transmission

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2023, 09:38 AM

1966 Delta 88 Switch Pitch transmission

My son has a 1966 Oldsmobile Delta 88 with the higher compression 425 engine , I have helped him change over from the stock two barrel setup to an Edelbrock intake manifold and Edelbrock four barrel 750 cfm carburetor. Their is no kickdown at all it just bogs down under acceleration. I checked the Kickdown switch and have 12 volts on the orange wire , have 12 volts at idle and WOT on the Switch Pitch terminal as well , however no voltage is present at WOT on the kick down terminal. I fabricated a bracket and installed a micro switch so that the throttle rod activates the switch at WOT. The performance is still bad under initial acceleration however at highway speeds the other two barrels do kick in when the gas pedal is pushed down to the floor. I want to get away from the switch pitch converter and install a new torque converter as the technology is so much better now. I realize the pump and several other things would have to be changed if the torque converter is changed. Does anyone know a good converter to install and a good stall speed to go with ? I am looking for greatly improved acceleration off the line and better drivability in general. The solenoid inside the transmission I believe is working ok , I can hear it click when I apply power to the terminal. I believe the kickdown assembly design is flawed and unreliable with the switch pitch setup and prefer to eliminate the switch pitch part of the transmission altogether , some advice from someone out there with experience in this matter would be very useful. Thank - You
Old July 10th, 2023, 09:50 AM

This may help you, short run:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...vicing-149216/

Chris
Old July 20th, 2023, 11:00 AM

Why not connect the the Switch Pitch though a toggle switch like the old hot rodders did and have the best of both worlds ?
Old February 3rd, 2024, 05:15 AM

Is the carb properly tuned? I've had two cars with a switch pitch and they smoked the tires from a standing start once properly tuned. Quadrajets on both. Carb tuning was the key. Particularly getting secondary air door set right. Too loose and you had the infamous bog.