Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Batwing air cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2021, 11:34 AM
74 2.8L Capri

Batwing air cleaner?

Red, Ted,

I just got my batwing air cleaner, I have the Wix air filter. Could you post some pictures of how it's supposed to look, how it attaches to the carb, and where the sticker goes?

This is for the '55 Rocket 324.

Thanks. Dave

Last edited by DFitz; January 15th, 2021 at 11:42 AM.
Old January 15th, 2021, 12:54 PM

I'll look and see if I have a picture of the two pieces, three if you count the part you aren't going to use. In short separate the two half's, pull the screen in the middle out (not needed) clean it up and drop your wix paper filter where the scree was. The whole thing is anchored to the carburetor by a proximately 6 inch piece of 1/4x20 ready thread squeezed together with a wing nut. Make sure the wing nut doesn't show much above the Bat Wing top or you will have a dent in the hood. I'll look for a picture for the lettering. They all are at the front of the filter not on top but between the two vents/ air scoops.....pictures later...Tedd
Old January 15th, 2021, 01:08 PM
74 2.8L Capri

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I'll look and see if I have a picture of the two pieces, three if you count the part you aren't going to use. In short separate the two half's, pull the screen in the middle out (not needed) clean it up and drop your wix paper filter where the scree was. The whole thing is anchored to the carburetor by a proximately 6 inch piece of 1/4x20 ready thread squeezed together with a wing nut. Make sure the wing nut doesn't show much above the Bat Wing top or you will have a dent in the hood. I'll look for a picture for the lettering. They all are at the front of the filter not on top but between the two vents/ air scoops.....pictures later...Tedd
Thanks, I figured out the paper filter part, I was just looking for some pictures on the adapter onto the carb, (I have the 2-barrell,) I will need, and where the sticker goes.

Dave
Old January 16th, 2021, 08:37 AM

I was thinking 4bbl carb never did one on a conversion on a 2bbl.... Sorry I'm ignorant on that maybe Red knows...Tedd

As a after thought try a Google image search on 1954-1956 air cleaners should be a bunch of pictures there.....Tedd again

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; January 16th, 2021 at 08:45 AM.
Old January 16th, 2021, 11:25 PM
74 2.8L Capri

I was thinking 4bbl carb never did one on a conversion on a 2bbl.... Sorry I'm ignorant on that maybe Red knows...Tedd

As a after thought try a Google image search on 1954-1956 air cleaners should be a bunch of pictures there.....Tedd again
Tedd,

Lots of images of air cleaners, not much with any good looks where the sticker goes, or how it's mounted.

When you can get to it, I'd appreciate it. Thanks. Dave
Old January 17th, 2021, 08:23 AM

Are you trying to use a real batwing that was intended for a 4gc and adapt it to the 2gc? or are we talking about the regular oil bath filter found on 2bbl carbs. I thought you misspoke and called the 2bbl cleaner a batwing. Though they are both black the 2bbl version doesn't look anything like a batwing.... I have a picture of the decals of a batwing that isn't correct but that won't help you much....Tedd
Old January 18th, 2021, 12:29 AM
74 2.8L Capri

Are you trying to use a real batwing that was intended for a 4gc and adapt it to the 2gc? or are we talking about the regular oil bath filter found on 2bbl carbs. I thought you misspoke and called the 2bbl cleaner a batwing. Though they are both black the 2bbl version doesn't look anything like a batwing.... I have a picture of the decals of a batwing that isn't correct but that won't help you much....Tedd
Yes, I now have an original batwing air filter assembly for my 324 Rocket--which is of course meant for the 4-barrel, to use on my 2-barrel. I want the ability to run a paper air filter. The 2-barrel air cleaner is not really retrofittable to the paper element. The center screen is in 1 piece. I'd have to cut it up to remove the screen.

I'm going to set it up so it looks original, so I need to know where to put the sticker on the batwing.

Here is a picture of the original 2-barrel air filter. the entire center is one piece with the screen in the oil bath.

en integral.

Last edited by DFitz; January 18th, 2021 at 12:32 AM.
Old January 18th, 2021, 07:45 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I believe the sticker on the batwing goes on the front of the air cleaner. They come in two colors which are white and orange. I have never seen a batwing on a two barrel but it should not be too hard with a little fabrication.
Old January 18th, 2021, 07:51 AM

See if this works
Old January 18th, 2021, 12:08 PM
74 2.8L Capri

Tedd,

Outstanding, that does very nicely. Thanks very much.

Dave