Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Value?

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2021, 09:59 AM

Value?

Hi everyone,
I know, another thread about value. I just need a little guidance. I'm experienced in purchasing, restoring and maintaining older cars. I just don't have much experience or knowledge about Oldsmobiles. Here is the scenario: My good friend has a 1957 Oldsmobile Rocket 88. It is a 2 door, pillar-less coupe. It has been in his family since 1958 and has always been in dry storage. The engine has never been removed from the car and it runs. The transmission will need a rebuild. It is solid, never wrecked, no rust, original Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels, all glass present. Originally was a solid black car, but my friend who owns the car, is also paint and body man and he repainted it in a two-tone white over red scheme, which actually looks much better on these cars. It will need to be painted again. Bottom line, it's all there, almost a one owner car, lots of spare parts, but a project. Not a difficult project, but a project nonetheless. What kind of general ball-park would a car like this be worth?
Thank you for any input,
Bill
Old February 6th, 2021, 12:32 PM
72 Cutlass Ponca City OK

Lets see some pictures, can't do anything without that. What one person thinks is good, does not match another.
Old February 6th, 2021, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by bigrbandit
Lets see some pictures, can't do anything without that. What one person thinks is good, does not match another.
I agree, some pictures would be helpful.
Old February 6th, 2021, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by drbill1984
My good friend has a 1957 Oldsmobile Rocket 88. It is a 2 door, pillar-less coupe.
Calling it a "Rocket 88" doesn't pinpoint which of two models it might be as ALL Oldsmobile 88s had Rocket engines. For '57, there were two 88 series, the base "Series 88" and the upper trim-level "Super 88." The latter is generally worth slightly more than the former, everything else being equal.

Here's the entry for the '57 88s in the Jan/Feb 2021 issue of the Old Cars Price Guide. Your car, being a pillarless hardtop, is a Holiday Coupe (Holiday HT for Hard Top in the table). "Holiday" was Oldsmobile's term for a pillarless body style, whether it was two or four-door.

The dollar amounts left to right are for #6 to #1 condition, where #6 is not worth restoring and is a parts car and #1 is better than showroom. #5 is non-running but better than a parts car and worth restoring while #4 is runs and drives but needs full restoration. These are very broad categories. Given that your car runs but does not drive since the transmission needs to be rebuilt, that puts it at #5 condition. But given its overall condition and history, it's probably between 4 and 5, so maybe $6,000 to $7,000?

Last edited by jaunty75; February 6th, 2021 at 04:51 PM.
Old February 7th, 2021, 05:10 AM

Allow me to lend another perspective. Why are you considering the purchase? Is it an investment? If so, you’re right to discover the average resale figure. Is it for you? If so, it’s worth whatever you’re willing to pay. Obvious, I know. And not the help I’m sure you were asking for. Still, it’s good for us all to remember, “you can’t take it with you”. If you can afford it, enjoy it!
Old February 7th, 2021, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by maineolds
... Still, it’s good for us all to remember, “you can’t take it with you”. If you can afford it, enjoy it!
I like this quote!
Old February 7th, 2021, 02:17 PM

Update

I’m sorry. The car is actually a 1956 model. Does not have the higher horsepower J2 engine or the Jetaway transmission. I do not have pictures. Can’t get access just now. I’m just looking for a general idea about this car, being in the same family so long and no rust. Just needs some love and a repaint. I know one can spend lots of money on that.
It’s not an investment. Just an old friend who needs cash more than his old cars. I’ve been seeing and knowing about this car for 35 years and it’s truly an original, well cared for old car. I just need to know is this 5 k or 25k.
Thanks!
Old February 7th, 2021, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by drbill1984
I’m sorry. The car is actually a 1956 model. Does not have the higher horsepower J2 engine or the Jetaway transmission. I do not have pictures. Can’t get access just now. I’m just looking for a general idea about this car, being in the same family so long and no rust. Just needs some love and a repaint. I know one can spend lots of money on that.
It’s not an investment. Just an old friend who needs cash more than his old cars. I’ve been seeing and knowing about this car for 35 years and it’s truly an original, well cared for old car. I just need to know is this 5 k or 25k.
Thanks!
J-2 was only a 1957-58 option. You may have one of two automatic transmissions that year......others more knowledgeable can advise you better. What is the owner thinking its worth ?
Old February 7th, 2021, 09:36 PM

Is reverse on the indicator all the way to the right, if so it's a Slant Pan. If it has a park on the indicator it's a Jet-a-way. If it is a holiday(no post) it is most likely a super 88 or 98 and will have a 4bbl carb but not always there are exceptions. We will need pictures to give any intelligent guess at a price. In reality it could between 5k and 25k, probably not 25k with a bad transmission and paint. Keep in mind to make a 25k car it will need all marginal cosmetic and mechanical areas made near new. Just the transmission alone will be close to 3 grand for a complete rebuild that is if you can find someone old enough that knows what one is....Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; February 7th, 2021 at 09:39 PM.