Vista Cruiser Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2009, 03:27 AM

Vista Cruiser Exhaust

Hi All, I have not even seen this car live yet but am already planning. Does anyone make a exhaust for the car or is it a custom job. I would imagine it is the same as cutlass except for the wheelbase and rear exist. Thanks Steve
Old September 27th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Registered Luser

Are you looking to do single or dual? We did dual on the '70 we are working on and oobviously, the tailpipes exit totally different from a cutlass, and the intermediate pipe will be longer. I have seen on the internet companies claiming to make exhausts for these beasts, but we had a shop custom bend a dual set of aluminized pipe! Came out perfect, no headaches, warranty, saves time and only $600!
Old September 27th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Registered

I got mine locally from Classic Exhaust in aluminized pipe, duals with the mufflers for less than 300 bucks but I had to install it. No headaches except for broken off or seized up manifold flange bolts.
Most of the vintage exhaust places have the codes for the benders and can make the systems, a good local shop should also be able to custom bend it, go to a few cruises or shows and ask who's good in your area.
Where are you located?, maybe somebody here is in your area and could recommend a place. Shipping is expensive if you have to order it so take that into account, I'd rather pay a place to do the whole job locally if the bottom line is the same. If you're going to duals you also need a block-off plate for the unused crossover pipe opening on the right side manifold too or it can be pretty loud.
600 bucks isn't too bad of a price installed and guaranteed.
Old September 27th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Old(s) Fart

FYI, El Camino dual exhaust tail pipes work great on a Vista.
Old September 27th, 2009, 04:37 PM

Thanks for the replys guys. Great suggestions and I never thought of El Camino tail pipes. I have the 70 vista home now so the planning begins. Steve
Old September 29th, 2009, 03:23 AM

It looks like flowmaster makes a kit for el camino #17120 american thunder. I have to see if I can get just tailpipes and this part of the project is a long ways off but like planning way ahead. Steve
Old September 29th, 2009, 06:15 AM

Take it to a local shop. You can probably get someone to do it for about the same price you would spend on a pre-bent mail order exhaust. Plus, if you get it done locally you will probably get a decent warranty.

I had duals put on my 71 98 for about $370. Plus the shop owner said if I ever have problems with it to bring it in and he would fix it free of charge. He mentioned that my mufflers would probably rust out before the pipe and tips he put on my car.
Old September 29th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 70vista
It looks like flowmaster makes a kit for el camino #17120 american thunder. I have to see if I can get just tailpipes and this part of the project is a long ways off but like planning way ahead. Steve
The factory Elco pipes come out the sides behind the rear wheels. I don't know what route aftermarket pipes would take. Better verify before you buy. I didn't want rear exit pipes on my Vista, since I didn't want to suck exhaust into the car if the rear window was open.
Old September 29th, 2009, 08:37 AM

Joe makes a great point!
The tail pipe must exit on the vehicle side NOT the rear of car under the bumper.
NO auto that has a rear window that opens can legally be manufactured with rear exhaust. (Fumes)
Old September 29th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Registered

I think those Flowmaster tailpipes are two piece, don't they also have chrome tips?, that's cool. They exit behind the rear wheels and out the sides like stock.
I'm pretty sure regular wagon tailpipes are shorter on the muffler end so don't get those. I picked up an NOS "normal" wagon right side tailpipe and I had to add a 4-6 inch pipe section aft of the correct muffler and head pipe to make up for the extra Vista Cruiser body/frame length.
An Olds parts catalog from back then could answer that question real quick.

You could go with this system, the exhaust goes out the back window so it won't get sucked back in.