Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

speaking of tires

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2021, 09:35 AM

speaking of tires

I saw another post about BFG vs Cooper tires and made me think about this:
What do you guys with experience of both, think about Goodyear polyglas vs Firestone wide oval. I like the look of the polyglas but it is a bias ply vs a radial which the wide oval is. Ive heard the bias ply doesn't handle as well as the radial but Im not gonna be racing. Is the difference in ride that noticeable between the two? I plan on driving the car in the nice weather 6 most out of the year.
Old November 9th, 2021, 10:11 AM

KELSEY Tire is responsible for the GOODYEAR reproductions
the bias ply SPEEDWAY was used OE on musclecars starting in 1967 but continued only on Corvette after 1969 - a number of sizes are available
the fiberglass-belted bias ply POLYGLAS & POLYGLAS GT were OE from roughly 1968 until 1974 many sizes are reproduced
the POLYGLAS RADIAL was introduced in the early '70s - I don't think any were used OE - the only current reproduction is FR70-14
the next evolution of RWL performance tire was the RADIAL GT/GT RADIAL a few sizes are reproduced, all 15" (think T/A, Z-28 & Corvette from the mid-'70s)

COKER Tire is responsible for the FIRESTONE reproductions
the bias ply WIDE OVAL came on the scene in the late '60s also
the fiberglass-belted WIDE OVAL SUPER-BELT came out for 1970, many sizes are reproduced
the WIDE OVAL RADIAL is a recent "invention" of a radial tire wearing the markings & tread of a vintage tire - a few sizes are available

radial construction is the more modern tire technology & should offer a better ride
but ride quality depends on more than tire: age of tire, mechanical condition of vehicle, springs, shocks & alignment all come into play

nothing beats the "LOOK" of a square shouldered vintage bias ply tire on a classic musclecar - POLYGLAS gets my $$$
Old November 9th, 2021, 11:51 AM

Thanks for that. I was not aware of the polyglas radial
Old November 9th, 2021, 04:00 PM

Paul I have been debating the same thing right now for my 70 resto I am close the finishing. I was leaning towards the wide oval radials repops, but now I think I am going with the poly glass bias plys that Kelsey sells that I think originally came on the car. I have a 69 that has bias ply redlines. I have put radials on that car before and they do ride and handle much better than the bias plys currently on it, but the nostalgic side of me wants the originality of bias plys. Both on looks and ride quality. My logic is hey, it’s a classic car that I don’t drive every day. Will only be driven in good weather, and I am ok with it driving like a 50 yr old car. Cause it is. I don’t think there is a wrong answer here. Just decide your preference. If you want to talk more about my experience with the bias plys shoot me a PM.

I do like the square edge look of the bias plys on a classic.

Hopefully I can find a set of 5 G70x14’s that I don’t have to wait a long time for.
Old November 9th, 2021, 04:16 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Oh boy, this thread is like a "What is the Best Motor Oil" thread.

I run the Coker classic radial on both my classic automobiles. I could not keep the Thunderbird in the road with the bias ply tires that came on the car, and they were only about 10-years old. So, when it came time to order tires for the W30, I instinctively ordered the radial. Glad I did.
Just my 2-cents worth. Happy Motoring!
Old November 9th, 2021, 04:49 PM

Hmm.........Thanks gents
Old November 10th, 2021, 05:36 PM
72 Olds CS

I picked this up several years ago from a guy selling me some parts, i didnt want it but couldnt let it go…. Its a wall hanger in my garage now.

this is all i can add to the polyglas conversation
Old November 10th, 2021, 06:26 PM

That is cool! Id definitely hang that in my garage, or maybe make a show spare out of it.
Old November 11th, 2021, 01:58 AM

did you say "snow spare"?