Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

Tire Slips on rim

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2021, 12:58 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Tire Slips on rim

I clocked all my new tires when I mounted them to match the original spare tire in the trunk—valve stem across from the oval mark.

Today I noticed the two tires on the left side of the car have slipped about 1/8 rotation on the steel wheel while the two tires on the right-hand side of the car remain correctly aligned to the oval mark.

There is roughly 15-miles on the tires and this occurred after a trip to the tire shop for an alignment and tire balancing. This is an old school shop; I stood in the service bay with the guy doing the work so no monkey business occurred. No drag racing on the way home either.

Is this normal; are my tires safe; is it likely to occur again if I reposition them?

Old December 11th, 2021, 02:04 PM

When tires are manufactured, they apply silicone or a similar "release agent" inside the molds so the tires can be extracted. Also, the tire people will sometimes slop a "magic liquid" on the tire bead to make seating the bead easier. Tire beads and steel wheels are not "precision" parts. According to the direction they are now clocked, I am guessing they moved during a braking event.
I would think that they will stop changing at some point. Scrubbing the bead to remove the "mold release agent" may help.