1st car after getting married.

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2023, 04:02 PM

1st car after getting married.

1st time seeing the sunlight in Ohio. Keep in mind that the car has 264,503.5 miles on her. We originally bought her for 1,000.00 dollars as the motor was rebuilt at 100,000 miles.

The front seeing Ohio sunlight.

1st bath in 14 years. Car stay in California when we moved because we didn't have a garage. In 1987 though 1989, I overhaul the suspension system and installed H/O Racing Specialties. The old guy's on the forum probably remember them. This included installation of the 1 3/8 front and rear swaybars. All of the original part were saved and can be reinstall when I pick them up on our next trip to California.

Yeah this tag.

Special thanks to Olds 64, Vintage Chief ( Your posting really got to me)
Old July 12th, 2023, 04:26 PM

Part 2.

Other side after the first bath.

Original marking on the hood.

Cutlass EFI, this old sailor finally got the pictures up. The car is now here with us sharing the garage with the Syclone and GTO. Thank you all for looking. Chapter 2 for the car is in the future. 40+ years of ownership of the W-30.
Old July 12th, 2023, 05:12 PM
Old School Olds

Welcome back. Sweet ride. It's nice to see them show up from time to time.
Old July 12th, 2023, 05:29 PM
Banned

I love cars that haven't been screwed with much. One of my favorite colors on that car.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; July 14th, 2023 at 09:10 PM.
Old July 13th, 2023, 03:40 AM

Glad you got her out of storage.
Old July 13th, 2023, 04:52 AM

Additional pictures. My Sweetheart and I had an agreement when we got married.

Getting setup to try and work with the original paint. Have since decided that it would be best base on my age and health issues to locate someone to fix body damage and repaint.

Great looking cars from the rear. Here you can get a look at the 1 3/8" swaybar. The car handles extremely well and stable at speed through the corners.

Still running with the original carburetor, however it needs to be gone through again because it's dripping fuel through the main discharge nozzles at idle.

the best view of the original paint. Paint code is marked as - - on the trim tag. Which I believe is Nugget Gold.
Old July 13th, 2023, 05:39 AM

A W30 and a Syclone? Consider me envious!

Very nice!
Old July 13th, 2023, 05:44 AM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Are you certain you are running the original carburetor? It may be the original carburetor when you purchased the car, but it looks like a service replacement to me?

Glad to see the car getting some attention, and good luck in your endeavors with it.
Old July 13th, 2023, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by tnswt
Are you certain you are running the original carburetor? It may be the original carburetor when you purchased the car, but it looks like a service replacement to me?

Glad to see the car getting some attention, and good luck in your endeavors with it.
The prior owner was a friend of mine and the only thing that was change during the rebuild was the camshaft. For some reason he had a 350 2 barrel factory camshaft installed which came out after I bought the car. Interesting note was the car with that 350 cam was getting 20.3 mpg on the highway at 60 mph ( California at the time had a 55mph speed limit). We installed the W-31 camshaft in it because we wanted more than the W-30 auto/ac camshaft offer. The car currently has a Sig Erson old school (hi flow II) installed in a refreshing of the engine. This currently has about 10,000 miles on it.

Now that we are much older seriously considering taming it down somewhat because the Syclone is the brute now and the traction is so much better. Lol
Old July 13th, 2023, 10:07 AM
Past Administrator

Nice car. I got excited at first when I read Syclone, though it was a miss-type of Cyclone. I know nothing of Syclone but Cyclone was one helluva car in the day.

Syclone

Cyclone

I almost bought a Cyclone in 1972 when I was a Junior in High School. Dad wouldn't co-sign for it (probably wisely) so I ended up with a 1962 Chevy Biscayne. Don't ask how that happened.
Old July 13th, 2023, 11:19 AM

That is a good looking car and a great story. I always wanted to put GTA wheels on my 72 Supreme, but in black. Are you running four fronts?
Old July 13th, 2023, 03:23 PM

Very cool you kept her this long..Is that original paint and stripes? Love the survivors..
Old July 14th, 2023, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by GN1220
That is a good looking car and a great story. I always wanted to put GTA wheels on my 72 Supreme, but in black. Are you running four fronts?
They are just the regular full set of GTA wheels. I will be completing the changes to identical wheels, however there are 17 x 8 available which will be used on the front and for the rear a 17 x 11 with a 315 tire will be installed. I chose these wheels because when I 1st decided to go the handling route with the car I was looking at using Enkei Gold Mesh wheels.

However being they were no longer available and GM created the GTA Wheels in gold really works well with the color of the car. Raising a family took priority over the car and then Commie - foria wanted 6500.00 plus interst and penalties to re-licence the car that I had put a non operational status on was ridiculous. I inform the State that I would wait until I left the state to do it. As a native Californian I will say that you need your head examined if you stay there. Lol I only wish that I had moved earlier.

The handling of the 442 is great as stock and when H/O Racing Specialties got into the A body handling business in the early 80's and their 64/65 GTO's were legendary in the events they were run in. They took the A body handling to a whole new level, I order the swaybars from them and using the Moog Spring catalog to order my springs giving the stance that you see in the pictures. I was wondering if anyone else had heard of them. I have kept all of the original parts incase I have a desire to return to factory.
Old July 14th, 2023, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Andy
Very cool you kept her this long..Is that original paint and stripes? Love the survivors..
Totally original paint and stripes, I was going to try and buff it out, however I came to the conclusion that while I'm very mechanical minded I know my limitations and everyone has them. Buffing it out or anything like that is totally the end of the line for this old guy. Going to find someone in the Northeast Ohio area hopefully. The hard thing is to find someone that you can trust with these cars. Any suggestions?
Old July 14th, 2023, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Nice car. I got excited at first when I read Syclone, though it was a miss-type of Cyclone. I know nothing of Syclone but Cyclone was one helluva car in the day.

Syclone

Cyclone

I almost bought a Cyclone in 1972 when I was a Junior in High School. Dad wouldn't co-sign for it (probably wisely) so I ended up with a 1962 Chevy Biscayne. Don't ask how that happened.
My Syclone was near the end of the production time. Still has the stock rims on her, I did however make her as pre production status to ensure reliability because of the changes that the factory did to ensure the Corvette remains dominant. For example all testing and calibration was done at 47psig fuel pressure, however the pressure regulator was change out to a 37psig unit before selling to the public. The exhaust downpipe from the turbo was 3" into a 3"cat with no muffler because the turbo quieted it down enough to go to production. GM noise police (paper pushers who have to justify their job) said that the exhaust had to be 3 decibel lower. The fix was a 2.5" downpipe to a 2.5" cat into a 2.5" Y pipe to 2 from the factory 2.5" Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers and 2 - 2.5" tailpipes exiting on the right side beyond what you might call a back bumper.

I returned the 3" downpipe and exhaust and reestablish the 47 psig fuel pressure in addition to a 255 walbro fuel pump and GN regulator. Why would anyone tune a vehicle that is boosted at 1 pressure and then intentionally make it run lean. No wonder they are in the shape that they are in lol. My truck has been using GPS 0 to 60 in a light rain at 3.9 sec. Not bad for an old truck.
Old July 14th, 2023, 10:00 AM

That is a service replacement carb. It is of a known replacement build date see this post in the 7040258 carb thread 7040258 (70 W30 Auto) Date Codes vs Vehicle Build Date - Page 2 - ClassicOldsmobile.com
Old July 14th, 2023, 10:27 AM

Recommendation on repaint - DON'T! If that is the original paint, you would be shocked how easily you can bring it back to life. Honestly, you can make that old lacquer paint look almost wet with very little effort. I know because I've done it. Either invest in a good DA buffer or find a local shop with a good reputation. After cut, polish and wax you will be amazed at the results.
I see little, if any parts of that car that need real attention in terms of repair. Without question I would stick with that original paint. Just my $.02.
Old July 14th, 2023, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by acavagnaro
Recommendation on repaint - DON'T! If that is the original paint, you would be shocked how easily you can bring it back to life. Honestly, you can make that old lacquer paint look almost wet with very little effort. I know because I've done it. Either invest in a good DA buffer or find a local shop with a good reputation. After cut, polish and wax you will be amazed at the results.
I see little, if any parts of that car that need real attention in terms of repair. Without question I would stick with that original paint. Just my $.02.
There are a couple of places that need to be fixed that you can see just behind the passenger door and passenger side front fender has 2 locations. 1 in the usual lower left fender and the other at the front of the fender. On the driver side 1 location in the usual lower front fender. The paint is very crazing looking on the hood although no repairs have been done therefore I assume that it is an age related thing. Around the sharp body lines the paint is a little thin and not sure what you can do with it. The biggest problem is finding someone that will do the work like trying to buff it out. Everyone wants to do a 2 stage paint on her( must be dollars signs going off in their heads). I myself would like to save the existing paint and willing to pay for it, but I know that it's beyond my capabilities.
Old July 14th, 2023, 09:13 PM
Banned

Sure is a cool car. Cool that you still have it. Please share more pictures. Interior etc. Dual gate car? What GTO do you have? Thanks for sharing.
Old July 16th, 2023, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Sure is a cool car. Cool that you still have it. Please share more pictures. Interior etc. Dual gate car? What GTO do you have? Thanks for sharing.

I don't have pictures of the interior yet, the back seat and front passenger seat are original (The 1 part that I have to replace on the passenger seat is the strap that limits how far the seat back travels forward to let back seatpassengers in. The plastic covering the steel strap worn-out. I haven't been able to find 1 yet)and ok in shape, the driverside seat desperately needs a full restoration. The interior carpet is totally worn out at the front of the driver seat. Are you beginning to see a picture yet lol? The interior color is gold. While the car is a console floor shift, it's not a Dual Gate Car.

Which is a bummer because my 72 Hurst/Olds introduced me to the shifter. Best shifter ever put in a factory car. That 1 of 2 car's that I had regrets selling back in the day. Pontiac also used the Dual Gate Shifter in the earlier GTO models. I have 1 of those however they are more like the 68/69 Hurst/Olds.

My Sweetheart daily driver when the weather is nice is a 2004 GTO 6 speed that we brought new. Such a great car built wrong lol. Montana and the open range is the only place to drive that car. 90 mph will return 37 mpg, they should have offered better gearing in that car.
Old July 16th, 2023, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Boiler_81
That is a service replacement carb. It is of a known replacement build date see this post in the 7040258 carb thread 7040258 (70 W30 Auto) Date Codes vs Vehicle Build Date - Page 2 - ClassicOldsmobile.com
Very interesting and thank you. Our car was built in 03-70. Wondering what happened to cause the replacement.
Old August 1st, 2023, 08:25 AM

Here are some interior pictures, in the last 1 you will find out where most of the time was spent lol.

Obviously the passenger side was used more than the driver side for getting in and out of the backseat.

Not alot of wear here.

Original backseat. Notice the window crank.

Obviously the window crank was use more on the passenger side.

Passenger side carpet and seat showing it's age.

Looking at the driver side showing the rubber mat covering the totally worn-out carpet.

Well not much to say about this picture, other than obviously most of the time was spent here.
Old August 2nd, 2023, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by SY2455
Totally original paint and stripes, I was going to try and buff it out, however I came to the conclusion that while I'm very mechanical minded I know my limitations and everyone has them. Buffing it out or anything like that is totally the end of the line for this old guy. Going to find someone in the Northeast Ohio area hopefully. The hard thing is to find someone that you can trust with these cars. Any suggestions?
If Cleveland isn't too far of a trip, I'll suggest Joe Streibel for refreshing your paint. He's the VP of the North Coast Rockets club and has owned a body shop for years; He just finished a beautiful 442 and a Hurst/Olds found locally, and they're stunning. If you want his contact info, send me a PM and I'll connect you.
Old August 21st, 2023, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by acavagnaro

I agree, Instead of a restoration go for a “ Preservation”. Paint jobs are extremely costly and things often go south. On top of that you’ll start replacing things that don’t look good with the new shiny paint. As a fellow member says
“ Welcome to the Abyss”. Clean it up and fix what you need to, it will garner more attention like that and you won’t be so nervous with it. Save some $$$$ also. My 2 cents also

Matt
Old October 24th, 2023, 10:27 PM
Banned

Any updates on this car?
Old October 25th, 2023, 04:46 PM

It's still out in the garage, haven't been able to work on it due to death, settling the estate, buying the farm. You know the normal things that often get in the way of life when you have something that you want to do. I did get it up on jackstands before everything went to......
Old October 25th, 2023, 06:15 PM
Banned

Well good luck with your health etc. I kind of get it. I got mugged from behind almost two weeks ago. Still healing.
Old October 26th, 2023, 02:53 AM

Sorry to hear about your mugging, health is fine with me. We had to deal with a ( death ) of a relative and settle the estate which required ( literally buying the farm ). Now that fall is here in Ohio, l hope to get started with it. I will post pictures from the work as soon as I get started. The 1st task I plan to do is the front wheelwells and front suspension. I will be looking for any factory markings and getting pictures of them as well.
Old October 26th, 2023, 04:35 AM

Dry Ice Blasting seems all the rage these days in the cleaning and preservation of original cars. Not sure if you watch Dennis Collins and his Coffee Walk channel on YouTube but he just had an in-depth show on this process cleaning a 17,000 mile Mercedes. It's a pretty interesting technique.
Old January 4th, 2024, 06:26 PM

Started working on her and ordering interior parts from Legendary Auto Interior making use of the 25% discount. However I encounter my 1st problem. The car has the gold interior and Legendary said that they don't have the gold headliner at all and not sure where I can go to find it. Can anyone help?
Old January 8th, 2024, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by SY2455
Started working on her and ordering interior parts from Legendary Auto Interior making use of the 25% discount. However I encounter my 1st problem. The car has the gold interior and Legendary said that they don't have the gold headliner at all and not sure where I can go to find it. Can anyone help?
I would try SMS. No personal experience, but hear they are the go to for interior fabrics, though also have heard pricey. Not sure what code Gold is, but you can search here:
https://smsautofabrics.com/pages/headliners
Old February 20th, 2024, 10:21 AM

Removed the passenger side fender well for cleaning.

As you can see it has alot of road mile dirt.
Old February 21st, 2024, 07:03 AM

A little (or a LOT) of elbow grease and those inner fenders will clean up just like new!