Down South

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Down South

Down South

Hiya guys. Ive managed to locate the only 442 in South Africa. I'm a little confused with the vehicle. The Vin number checks out as a 1970 442 Sport Coupe. The engine nubers show that its a 455 motor. What worries me is that the windows are not pillorless. Most of the pictures of I've seen show the windows as pillorless. Is it possible to get access to all the different options that were available for the Olds.

regards
David
Old October 5th, 2007, 05:02 AM
Past Administrator

David, welcome to our site. Yes, I think that would be possible. I can check some references tonight when I get off work. That is in about 8 hours. By then probably Joe or Norm or 64rocket will see this and answer your question. Lots of people here that have that locked up in the ol' memory. But not me......

I found a picture of a post car, http://www.server7.com/images/BSG/show/2005show04.jpg Does it have a post like this one?

Last edited by Oldsguy; October 5th, 2007 at 05:09 AM.
Old October 5th, 2007, 05:26 AM
Down South

Yup. That looks correct. It has posts similar to your picture. Was this an option? I must say i prefer the look of the pillorless. Next question..... Is it possible to convert the Pillored to the Pillorless, or the post to the postless as you guys would say. I am so thankful that you guys are helpful.

David
Old October 5th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Past Administrator

We use the term pillar, A pillar is the windshield, B pillar is the one between the windows (or doors in the case of a 4 door), C pillar is the one in the back (coupe or fastback style). Then we refer to the post or non-post car when referring to the presence or absence of the B pillar, go figure. I will check my reference tonight as to whether it was an option or a model in itself, can't remember.
Old October 6th, 2007, 04:36 AM
same but different

Africa? Huh, thats neat. Wonder how it got there? I have allways liked post coupes and so do many others.

I have been told by someone I trust in the oldsmobile world, that post cars were assembled early in the production year. You could compare that cars vin with other known cars, post or non post, to confirm. And... most have wing vent windows.

Related- A debate in the internet forum world earlier this year stated the post coupes were actually lighter than their pillar-less brethen.
Old October 6th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by dkatz
Hiya guys. Ive managed to locate the only 442 in South Africa. I'm a little confused with the vehicle. The Vin number checks out as a 1970 442 Sport Coupe. The engine nubers show that its a 455 motor. What worries me is that the windows are not pillorless. Most of the pictures of I've seen show the windows as pillorless. Is it possible to get access to all the different options that were available for the Olds.

regards
David
David,

Congrats on the find. The 442 was available in three body styles in 1970, the convertible, the Holiday Coupe (Olds-speak for a 2 dr hardtop) and the Sport Coupe (a 2 dr post car). It sounds like yours is the latter. The Sport Coupe used metal frames around the door windows instead of the frameless windows on the Holiday Coupe. You've likely not seen many pictures of a sport coupe because few were made. The ratio was something like one Sport Coupe for every 10 Holiday Coupes. The reason is that the hardtop was a much more popular body style. The Sport Coupe had a "low rent" stigma in the 1960s and was really only favored by drag racers since it was slightly lighter than the Holiday Coupe. You can tell for sure by the VIN. A Sport Coupe will have a VIN that starts out 344770.... A Holiday Coupe will have a VIN starting 344870....
Old October 6th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by don71
I have been told by someone I trust in the oldsmobile world, that post cars were assembled early in the production year.
I doubt this is true. Sport Coupes and Holiday Coupes were mixed throughout the model year. Just check build dates on the cowl tag.

You could compare that cars vin with other known cars, post or non post, to confirm. And... most have wing vent windows.
ALL Sport Coupes have vent windows. NO 69-72 Holiday coupes have vent windows.

Related- A debate in the internet forum world earlier this year stated the post coupes were actually lighter than their pillar-less brethen.
There's no debate, it's fact based on published curb weights. Sport Coupes were 100-200 lbs lighter when equipped the same.
Old October 6th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Down South

Cutlass

What is the difference between a Cutlass 442 and a straight 442. Can you get a Cutlass 442 in 1970 seeing that the 442 was its own model. Can you guys point me to some type of a model matrix, and also all the optional choices such as pillarless, or w30 etc etc.
Old October 6th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Down South

My vi says its a Sport coupe. 34477
Old October 6th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

[QUOTE=don71;17271]Africa? Huh, thats neat. Wonder how it got there?

ROCKET!!! Heh heh
Old October 6th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by dkatz
What is the difference between a Cutlass 442 and a straight 442. Can you get a Cutlass 442 in 1970 seeing that the 442 was its own model. Can you guys point me to some type of a model matrix, and also all the optional choices such as pillarless, or w30 etc etc.
There's no such thing as a "Cutlass 442". In 1970 there were four different models in the A-body line, the F-85 (lowest cost), Cutlass (mid-range), Cutlass Supreme (luxury model), and the 442 (hi performance). Each of these carried a unique VIN, with further differentiation in the VIN for engine (L6 or V8) and body style.

The confusion comes from the fact that these are all really the same car (same frame and sheet metal) with different engine, trans, standard equipment, and trim levels. And just for completeness, there was also the Vista Cruiser in the A-body line as a unique model, however I lump that in with the Cutlass Supreme since the VC used the Supreme trim and upholstery patterns and was for all intents and purposes a top-of-the-line Cutlass Supreme wagon.

Yes, the VC did have a unique VIN (348... instead of 342... for the Supreme), so hold those irate letters.