General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Anyone in South Florida wanna start an OCA chapter?

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2009, 02:54 PM

Anyone in South Florida wanna start an OCA chapter?

What would it take? I can not keep driving to Tampa area for shows & meets, would love something local.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 06:52 PM

I'm not sure what it would take to form a chapter but I would consider joining something like that. I'm sure 55olds98holiday would also. We're both up here in St Lucie co. You should come up sometime to one of our local shows, it a lot closer then driving to the west coast! (maybe). Every Tuesday in Jensen Beach at the mall and The City of Port St Lucie has a Show every 2nd friday of the month during "After 5 Live" which draws around 100 cars. Something to think about.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 08:56 PM
Oldsdruid

Make sure you know what you're getting into...

When I was ASE Zone director, I was involved in 6 Chapter startups and one "reinvigoration". It's hard work and kinda like herding cats.

In all honesty, I'd look into forming a local group first, and not affiliate it with OCA until you're sure you have enough membership base to sustain it. OCA requires members of chartered Chapters to maintain OCA membership and that is always a sticking point. I had to certify Chapter membership lists every year and I quite frankly got tired of sending them back to the Chapters 3 or 4 times. One of them finally got their Charter suspended for non-compliance and that woke them up for a few years, then back to same old same old.

I just wish the Zone could get its momentum back. To my knowledge there has not been an ASE Zone show since I walked out of the 2000 Board of Directors meeting, and from 1993 up to that point we had had four Zone events and two National Meets hosted in the Zone.

Last edited by rocketraider; May 23rd, 2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old May 24th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Make sure you know what you're getting into...

When I was ASE Zone director, I was involved in 6 Chapter startups and one "reinvigoration". It's hard work and kinda like herding cats.

In all honesty, I'd look into forming a local group first, and not affiliate it with OCA until you're sure you have enough membership base to sustain it. OCA requires members of chartered Chapters to maintain OCA membership and that is always a sticking point. I had to certify Chapter membership lists every year and I quite frankly got tired of sending them back to the Chapters 3 or 4 times. One of them finally got their Charter suspended for non-compliance and that woke them up for a few years, then back to same old same old.

I just wish the Zone could get its momentum back. To my knowledge there has not been an ASE Zone show since I walked out of the 2000 Board of Directors meeting, and from 1993 up to that point we had had four Zone events and two National Meets hosted in the Zone.
X2
Not to discourage you. Quite the opposite, the caution is to keep you from spending a lot of time and effort and *then* getting big time disappointed!
Look into it thoroughly, talk to other club *officers* (those are the ones doing the work) before you start the process.
What tends to happen is that a "lot of people" talk support, but when it is crunch time, there will be a lot less by your side.
Old May 24th, 2009, 07:15 AM

thanks guys, rethinking it
Old May 24th, 2009, 08:28 AM

My invitation still stands, as long as it's not the show June 12th, I'll be out of town. But there are 2 Jensen Beach shows up and coming that I plan on attending.
Old May 24th, 2009, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by FATRATMATT
My invitation still stands, as long as it's not the show June 12th, I'll be out of town. But there are 2 Jensen Beach shows up and coming that I plan on attending.
thanks but during the week is tough for me, weekends are great
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:27 PM

This sunday May 31st there is a real nice car show at Cars of Dreams Museum at 133 US 1 in North Palm Beach Fl. The museum is just south of Northlake Blvd. They had about 100 cars being shown last year. I'm not going to show but will make the trip down just to check out the museum. Google Cars of Dreams and check out the museum on line IT'S FANTASTIC!I can't think of a better way to spend a sunday.