My 1970 W30 discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2022, 08:08 PM

Did you find the hood tooth? Why do you think it had a green steering wheel ?
PRICE
Old July 3rd, 2022, 09:07 PM

Yes tooth was there. The wheel on it now of course is not an original four spoke wheel. Not sure what it is really. Anyway after it got to my friends garage/shop for a while I came over to look at the rear end and transmission and he handed me the green vinyl centerpiece horn pad mint condition out of the trunk for a vista cruiser steering wheel!!! I can only assume that is the type of wheel that came with the car. The color is exactly correct for what the wheel is suppose to look like. I have a funny feeling the guy in the Oklahoma panhandle that bought the car out of Texas in 1986 or there about changed the wheel then, and stuck the pad in the trunk, and laid the wheel somewhere else in the garage. But again I was not there at the time to ask if the original wheel was in the building. The pad was mint with the wood grain portion perfect. The vinyl was superb as well. I bet the wheel was as well. That would go along with how wonderful the interior is in this car. When I can get out there I will investigate. Of course the wheel could have been taken off day two and lost and the pad left in the trunk but that doesn’t sound right to me. Anyway that is my analysis so to speak.
Old July 3rd, 2022, 09:13 PM

I really love LS6 Chevelles and I will watch Patric Glen Nichols on you tube with his barn finds and he goes on about how original the car is and the body is great and the interior is just crap. Yeah you can replace interior but it is never the same. Texture is different color and gloss is different. I can tell. Especially in corvette repo interior.
Old July 3rd, 2022, 09:35 PM

Just for fun I just looked up the population of Perryton in 1970. 7,800. Everybody knew everybody back then.
Old July 4th, 2022, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Strad
I really love LS6 Chevelles and I will watch Patric Glen Nichols on you tube with his barn finds and he goes on about how original the car is and the body is great and the interior is just crap. Yeah you can replace interior but it is never the same. Texture is different color and gloss is different. I can tell. Especially in corvette repo interior.
I recall a black Ls6 story out of texas, barn find, missing engine from a divorce issue etc. I think they located the missing engine..That car was sold three times I think in its barn find state..I actually inquired about it a few years back but the price was crazy especially for the condition it was in and then the original engine purchase was also on you from a separate person. I as well love the LS6 chevelle
Old July 4th, 2022, 08:31 AM

I saw that video. Black car outside Dallas was one he did. Some minor rust but interior was destroyed. Engine elsewhere. Needed total frame off. You cannot come out on the car, and then even as original as it started, it is just now a frame off. You would have to by it for 30K to come out. And take forever
Old July 4th, 2022, 08:51 AM

I saw that video. Black car outside Dallas was one he did. Some minor rust but interior was destroyed. Engine elsewhere. Needed total frame off. You cannot come out on the car, and then even as original as it started, it is just now a frame off. You would have to by it for 30K to come out. And take forever
yep thats it..when I inquired about it like 3 years back it was in Arizona, they wanted 45k..nothing had been done since found in Texas
Old July 4th, 2022, 04:22 PM

Very Nice!
Old July 4th, 2022, 05:40 PM

Ok so I think I have most of this decoded. The only thing is Trim Z932? I assume the 32 is green, the 9 stands for bucket seats. The Z?? Console?
Old July 4th, 2022, 05:44 PM

Ok so I think I have most of this decoded. The only thing is Trim Z932? I assume the 32 is green, the 9 stands for bucket seats. The Z?? Console?
When you figure out the Z you will make mankind happy.
Old July 4th, 2022, 06:11 PM

Z indicates Canadian.
Old July 4th, 2022, 06:25 PM

Cannot be Canadian since the car was shipped to Perryton Texas.
Old July 4th, 2022, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by virtualwsp
Z indicates Canadian.
No W-30's ever built in Canada,all were built in Lansing. That code hasn't been verified all across the GM brands.
Old July 4th, 2022, 07:03 PM

Yeah that is what I was just reading about. No clear cut answer it seems. Thanks for the responses.David
Old July 4th, 2022, 07:19 PM

Z should indicate something like special order override, but, OP's car, along with many others, have been perfectly standard. He has a 45 green car, green interior is an accepted choice, black stripes, black vinyl, all of these are standard. The only thing non-standard is the aftermarket stuff, which has nothing to do with Lansing.
Old July 4th, 2022, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Z should indicate something like special order override, but, OP's car, along with many others, have been perfectly standard. He has a 45 green car, green interior is an accepted choice, black stripes, black vinyl, all of these are standard. The only thing non-standard is the aftermarket stuff, which has nothing to do with Lansing.
The Z code has been talked and debated for years. All GM brands have this code it seems but it hasn't been found out yet.
Old July 4th, 2022, 07:51 PM

Ok, thanks. I would have guessed the obvious like console but that clearly seems to have been proven wrong. Another question is on the all aluminum rear end my understanding is just over 300+ built but they could come on W30 OR W31? So less then 300 went to W30 cars then? I assume the exact numbers are unknown.
Old July 4th, 2022, 07:54 PM

Ok, thanks. I would have guessed the obvious like console but that clearly seems to have been proven wrong. Another question is on the all aluminum rear end my understanding is just over 300+ built but they could come on W30 OR W31? So less then 300 went to W30 cars then? I assume the exact numbers are unknown.
And shipped by the pallets to factory drag teams.
Old July 4th, 2022, 08:19 PM

Ah ok so some floating around occasionally from other sources to put in cars even if the car did not come with one, or if the original was blown or cracked.
Old July 4th, 2022, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
The Z code has been talked and debated for years. All GM brands have this code it seems but it hasn't been found out yet.
Indeed. I also read your previous comment saying the same. I think the reason it hasn't been figured out is that peoples' thinking is not including manufacturing. Considering that it is clearly
something for the trim package, and it's simply a modifier of the trim package to be "special," I don't think it has anything to do with the car itself. This would make anyone trying to link it to Canada,
chrome bead around the dash, headrests, or colors.

I have two theories.

A: They're customer order cars. No rhyme or reason to any options triggering the Z, other than someone ordered this one, and that one was just generated to go on a dealer lot. Proving this is difficult
due to Lansing's tossing the real build sheets, and the broadcast card doesn't say special order anywhere (to my knowledge). This can be proven by finding Z cars with customer order sheets, and non-Z cars
without them.

B: They were hot pick cars. I don't know how much people know about automotive manufacturing, but, parts of the plant are in sequence, and others are in buffer. This is the same for any car plant, new, old, GM, Ford, Toyota,
whatever. In Stamping, you are in buffer. You are not building the hood for the first car out the door, then the hood for the second, and all you do is make hoods. What you actually do is stamp hood outers for a while to fill up
your buffer stock, then hood inners, then the decklid outer, then the right door skin, etc, etc. You are filling buffer stocks. Weld shop is the same way. You assign a body number (more on that in a bit), but you are building to a
buffer. For us, that means so many of each body type intermediate and full size Oldsmobiles, whatever Lansing and Fishers cars were. Same thing with paint, but now they are painted cars. But, all paint shops have huge
buffer lanes where all the red ones are, all the green ones are, etc.

I'm going to make a fine point here. I don't know where in Lansing or Fisher the cowl tag was stamped and attached. Now, I'm a Toyota engineer, but, not only that, I work in Final Assembly, and, not only that, but I have replaced
the machines that print the Certification Label (which is the modern day cowl tag) on Toyotas at my plant. I could talk you through brand and model of the printer, who makes the paper, and what all the data are. There are
even Highlanders going to some parts of Europe that have labels I made myself (to a design). The reason I say that is we have two things on our CR label that an Olds does not, and that is VIN and Sequence Number and other stuff
that is not germane to this conversation.

This is important for a reason. My machines for the CR labels are Trim 1, Process 1. Literally the first guy on the left side of the line, in the Assembly shop. This is done legally. As soon as the cars are in Sequence Order, they get a
Sequence Number which means NOTHING to the customer. It's just 000-999 and roll over that lets you find cars in the shop. "What's the pilot cars today?" "436, 437, and 438 and they just left Trim 1." for example. However, the VIN
is legal. It has a serial number on it that is part of the production order going out the door, and is used for recalls. So, Toyota can't put that sticker on until we know the order, and we know which car that one will be when we pick it out of the
paint buffer and send it to lift to Assembly. At that point, it is in order, and we can extrapolate that that shell body has that VIN now.

But, Olds didn't do that. The cowl tag has no sequence number or vin. It only has body number, and cars, while they do GENERALLY follow body number, they don't HAVE to. All those cowl tags are black, and they have black seam
sealer on them. I don't think there's paint underneath them. I think they got put on back in weld, back when the car was optioned a certain way, and everyone knew what it was going to get, but not necessarily when, because it had to
go through the weld buffer and the paint selectivity buffer to get picked in order to get lifted to Fisher Assembly.)

My second theory is that a Z car was a car ordered to be produced more quickly than standard, for some reason, and it got to skip the buffers in between the shops, and that letter told Fisher to skip the lines and send it to Assembly faster
than normal. If anyone cares, it typically takes, on a 1 minute cycle time, about 8 shifts to get from the back shops to the front door, but I think it sits for a while. Typically, it's two shifts a shop, but I bet they could get them out a day sooner
if they had to by skipping the queue.

Enough of a novel, you get the point.

Old July 6th, 2022, 08:09 AM

car

Nice car to restore - these are worth the effort
Old July 6th, 2022, 03:45 PM

My plan is to get the car fully running, already has new white letter wide oval tires, exhaust is new, no choice there it was piece meal. Correct radio, that was easy perfect fit, change after market steering wheel, and then clean like crazy. I am not much of a mechanic but I am a great detail guy. LOL Will show more photos as I get it off the lift and moving. Does not warrant a total restoration. My first thought is leave it Day Two,if I can, which is amazingly where I think it has stayed. Will know more when clean. Like I said everything ever done to this car is clear. Main thing is search for documents on the car after it is off the lift.

Old July 7th, 2022, 04:09 AM

That's an amazing find. Looks to be in excellent condition. I do have a 7040258 carburetor with a "0160" date, but it looks like you have what you need. According to Boiler 81's research, this carb is good for (Fri, 01-16-70) - 1st week of April 1970 (2). I don't have an extra distributor.
Best of luck. Mike

**I also have original 70 green seat covers if any require a replacement.. or any other board numbers are interested.

Last edited by Vader; July 7th, 2022 at 04:19 AM.
Old July 7th, 2022, 06:50 AM

Carb date offered to me is I think correct. 3329 What is the correct Alternator for my car? For all I know I gave the correct one on the car but it is. Are to visualize
Old July 7th, 2022, 06:10 PM

Carb date offered to me is I think correct. 3329 What is the correct Alternator for my car? For all I know I gave the correct one on the car but it is. Are to visualize
You need the open face 1100880 or 890 alternator. I'm not sure which is correct for the automatic W-30 without air. I have a 4-speed (no air) and the 880 alternator on my car.
Old July 7th, 2022, 06:59 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

I believe op's car is non a/c. The 37 amp (1100880) alt will be applicable.

Old July 7th, 2022, 09:30 PM

Thanks for the info. Several responses indicating 1100880 is correct. Need to go check and see what is on the car now. Looking for build cards tomorrow!!!
Old July 8th, 2022, 04:35 PM

More photos

Finally got to look car over for a while. Tight quarters in the shop/garage limited search for build cards. Will have to wait for backing it out of the shop off the lift. But here are some photos

Old July 8th, 2022, 04:42 PM

Old July 8th, 2022, 04:49 PM

The car has 15 inch wheels added maybe as far back as 70’s I assume. Hard to say when. New Coker tires.
Old July 8th, 2022, 04:55 PM

Old July 8th, 2022, 05:00 PM

No rust anywhere on body panels. The one rear quarter is just grease.

Old July 8th, 2022, 05:06 PM

Did not even realize car had power steering. All glass original

Old July 8th, 2022, 05:08 PM

Red paint on front sway bar? Not sure if it is factory but obviously very old.
Old July 8th, 2022, 05:15 PM

Not sure about whether radiator is original or not since it was in the trunk with shroud etc but here are photos.

Old July 8th, 2022, 05:18 PM

Yes right looks like right front finder was replaced way back maybe 70’s. Only body panel replaced as far as any of us can tell.
Old July 8th, 2022, 06:02 PM

I have been curious about the hole at the bottom of the quarter. The OEM one I bought had it but I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be there or someone drilled it out? I didn't have much to go by so I plugged mine. Now Im thinking I should drill it out for drainage because it makes sense? I've seen under carriage pictures of cars but dont remember the hole jumping out in pics but I'm thinking both sides should have them. Anybody verify?
Old July 8th, 2022, 06:06 PM

Very very lucky find, zero rust, unheard of.. eliminates a ton of money when restoring..
Old July 8th, 2022, 06:21 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

For the sake of safety, be mindful of the tan wire grounded to the clip above the master cylinder shown in the group of pictures at post #73. It looks to be the wire from the brake distribution block?
Old July 8th, 2022, 06:31 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Originally Posted by scrappie
I have been curious about the hole at the bottom of the quarter. The OEM one I bought had it but I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be there or someone drilled it out? I didn't have much to go by so I plugged mine. Now Im thinking I should drill it out for drainage because it makes sense? I've seen under carriage pictures of cars but dont remember the hole jumping out in pics but I'm thinking both sides should have them. Anybody verify?
If you are speaking of these holes, yes, both sides.

Quick Reply: My 1970 W30 discussion thread