Thoughts on this 1971 442

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2022, 05:13 AM

Thoughts on this 1971 442

My father has been looking for a 69-72 Cutlass or a 442 and came across this one. Would like to get you guys thoughts on it. Anything jump out as a red flag? What do you think would be a good price for it? I appreciate any feedback.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...mobile-442-14/
Old February 1st, 2022, 05:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

That actually looks like a refreshingly honest car. Correct side pinstripes instead of the obligatory wide W30 stripes that every Faux Four Two wears today. It's been restored, so how many of the rare options are original and how many were added during the resto? These cars rarely came from the factory fully loaded, but today every one you see for sale has every option in the book. Is the hood OEM or repro? What's under the repaint? Unfortunately these aren't questions that can be answered by looking at photos. If the car is as correct as it appears, it's probably a $50K car. Current price is reserve not met. As expected, the alternator is an incorrect replacement, but that's unfortunately pretty typical.
Old February 1st, 2022, 05:27 AM

Looks to be a legitimate car for a fair price.
Old February 1st, 2022, 05:38 AM

Looks like a pretty honest car to me? The VIN confirms real 442. The door sticker should have the VIN not the cowl tag# so that is obvious reproduction. The motor looks to be period correct with correct heads. The trans looks to match the VIN. Nicely optioned and body and frame look to be in decent shape although has been painted so you cant be sure whats underneath. The price seems to be in line? Just my thoughts at a glance.
Old February 1st, 2022, 09:11 AM
Running On Empty

The carburetor has a build date (1521 = June 1, 1971) which coincides w/ the 05D (May, 4th week) vehicle build date. Both the 7041251 & 7041257 are correct I believe - both have applications for the 455 engine.
Was the 7041257 used specifically on the W-30? The 7041251 is a rather common 455 Q-Jet, but I'm not familiar with the 7041257.
I am curious regarding the carburetor stamp - errors occur and most likely re-stamps, as well.
I'm left w/ the notion the carburetor began as a 7041251 re-stamped to 7041257; or, it began as a 7041257 re-stamped to 7041251. IMO, the carburetor began as 7041251 and was re-stamped to 7041257. NOTE: There is a difference in font between the two "7" numbers.
Being curious is all as to learn from other who might know or have seen a re-stamp such as this. Thanks.

Old February 1st, 2022, 09:17 AM

Seems reasonable. Agree that it probably has more options on it now then it left the factory with.
Missing the rear lower control arm braces.
Old February 1st, 2022, 09:42 AM

Also states TR977 as ivory interior with bucket seats? Clearly the interior is blue?
Old February 1st, 2022, 12:30 PM

I noticed the last six numerical digits of the VIN and Fisher Body template are 200 000 numbers apart. Not sure if that is relevant.
I know with my 69HO they are less than 200 numbers apart..
Old February 1st, 2022, 01:22 PM

The car appears nice in the pics, the paint description would cause me to pause, I wouldn’t bid unless I could checkout the paint condition.
Old February 1st, 2022, 02:01 PM
Old(s) Fart

Well, the quality of this car is apparently irrelevant, as the seller has Barrett Jackson disease. From the last post the seller made on BaT:

So to assist bidders BAT sold a 442 convertible on 11-15-21 for $80,000. Not as many factory options as my car. NO power windows, door locks, cruise control, 8-Track tape player, Rally Pack, bumper over ride protector’s,. This information may help before the Happy last hour gets heated up. My car is rare and deserves a very caring and appreciative new owner whos dream may come true tomorrow.
Sorry, I don't see this car pulling north of $80K.
Old February 1st, 2022, 03:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by v8al
Seems reasonable. Agree that it probably has more options on it now then it left the factory with.
Missing the rear lower control arm braces.
All this and that paperwork but no window sticker build sheet etc.

Originally Posted by akspeedy
Also states TR977 as ivory interior with bucket seats? Clearly the interior is blue?
Is that true on the interior code? Oh duh it even states that. That's a big change to a car like this that someone wants big money for.

Originally Posted by dc2x4drvr
The car appears nice in the pics, the paint description would cause me to pause, I wouldn’t bid unless I could checkout the paint condition.
Agreed. Especially big money.

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Well, the quality of this car is apparently irrelevant, as the seller has Barrett Jackson disease. From the last post the seller made on BaT:

Sorry, I don't see this car pulling north of $80K.
I agree with this also. Replacement motor. Re stamped carb. Restamping a carb shows deception somewhere along the line. I have never seen a 442 that loaded with options. I would like to know what it really came with. Including if it came with the hood. Maybe all that doesn't matter to people anymore. The new Oldsmobile bandwagoners.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; February 1st, 2022 at 03:31 PM.
Old February 1st, 2022, 03:39 PM

If they went to the trouble of having a new door decal produced (incorrectly) and replacing assorted other decals in the engine bay, I'd sure want to have a closer look at all that documentation as well. Who writes the ad copy for BAT? What evasive drivel that was...

It's a good looking car but I agree the seller is unlikely to realize his dream price.
Old February 1st, 2022, 05:20 PM

This is the only 71 442 or Cutlass convertible with blue dash and bucket interior I have ever seen. In fact I decided not to convert my Cutlass vert to buckets as I am pretty sure I found that Olds never built a 71 vert with blue buckets according to the assembly manual. Also according to assembly manual all verts with buckets had a black dash, kick panels and inner A pillar trim. My car has blue dash with bench seat, etc.
Old February 1st, 2022, 05:31 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
This is the only 71 442 or Cutlass convertible with blue dash and bucket interior I have ever seen. In fact I decided not to convert my Cutlass vert to buckets as I am pretty sure I found that Olds never built a 71 vert with blue buckets according to the assembly manual. Also according to assembly manual all verts with buckets had a black dash, kick panels and inner A pillar trim. My car has blue dash with bench seat, etc.
Greg, the PIM shows trim code 933 for blue bucket seat interior for the 442 hardtop coupe, but as you correctly note, blue bucket seats were not an available interior option for the convertible. The 70-72 442 hardtops used the same interiors as the Cutlass S, while the 442 convertible used the same interiors as the Supreme. Obviously this "restoration" used an incorrect hardtop interior kit.

Old February 1st, 2022, 06:37 PM
Banned

Way too much questionable stuff on this car. Why can't people just be honest. If someone ordered that car with all those options the paperwork would be there. You kept gas mileage entries etc but conveniently the most telling paperwork is missing? Sorry to be the pessimist but too many scammers in this world anymore. But with prices being what they are these days people seem to not give a crap about originality. It is a beautiful car. Did it come like we see it? I am guessing no. Again I have never seen a 442 loaded like that. Replacement engine. Restamped carb. Unavailable interior. Loaded with every option. Conveniently missing the crucial paperwork. Screams BS to me. Do buyers really care these days? Monopoly money for so many.
Old February 1st, 2022, 08:02 PM

I’m thinking the restoration involved two cars and the whole interior(and a few options migrated to this car.
the seller is a dealer so….I’m sure all his comments are true….

the car needs some real documentation as stated above, a real build sheet or window sticker would go along way to validating some of those options.

it is a nice car in nice shape with a lot of real olds options, not being able to show they came with the car originally and lacking the original motor(and most of its parts) I would say 40-45 tops unless they have more money to burn…
at least it’s the W25 stripes…

Last edited by herkguy; February 1st, 2022 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Update
Old February 2nd, 2022, 01:39 AM

It's a honey-trap, a honey-trap with value but still a honey-trap....

Nice car proceed with caution.