Verification via VIN it's a 442

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2024, 02:36 PM

Verification via VIN it's a 442

Hello,

AZMusclecar here and I've been away a long long time from 442s. I am to go look at a 1969 442 Saturday and I do not want to waste
7 hours and over 300 miles to see a non 442.

If I recall, and at my age of 72 it is becoming harder, there is something denoting a 442 in the VIN or am I showing my age?????

My 1st Muscle Car was a 1969 442 and at my age if I want to relive it, I'd better get one soon.

I already saw the rear bumper does not have the cut outs, and of course the trumpets are not there either.

Someone kindly painted the vertical stripes of a 1968 442 on the 69. (drug abuse maybe)

I haven't received the VIN yet from the seller. So can you help a brother, okay a real old brother out and tell me if it's an
easy tell in the VIN or am I out in left field shanking fly ***** as we old farts used to say?

Thanks for any help, good help is truly appreciated and honest help even more.

AZ
Old February 21st, 2024, 02:52 PM

True 69 442 vin will start with 344
Old February 21st, 2024, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by 70W-32
True 69 442 vin will start with 344

HEY HEY HEY, So I'm NOT losing my marbles........well......a few maybe. God bless you brother for the quick reply.

It's great to be back with all the 10s!! That's what it comes to if you add 4 and 4 and 2 = 10! PERFECTION!! Time for my medication I see.

Thanks again.
Old February 21st, 2024, 10:25 PM
Banned

Wow this sounds like a drunk post.
Old February 22nd, 2024, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Wow this sounds like a drunk post.
Sorry, not a beer to be found anywhere. Just excitement on possibly finding a 442 that will fill my days with memories until the good Lord calls me home.

One of my favorite rides was totaled last week, and so I'm trying to fill that loss, the gap and emptiness with a suitable substitute. Nothing worse than going

into one's own mancave garage and feeling it's emptiness. The old Doo Wop music of the 50s and 60s just doesn't sound the same as when there's a hunk

of America missing to share it with.

Nope..no booze here. Just me trying to deal with the grief of loss and the excitement of finding a replacement. I'll leave drinking to Nancy Pelosi.
Old February 22nd, 2024, 04:32 AM

Good Luck hope it works out
Old February 22nd, 2024, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by azmusclecar
......... Nope..no booze here. Just me trying to deal with the grief of loss and the excitement of finding a replacement. I'll leave drinking to Nancy Pelosi.
You do realize that was altered to give that appearance ?
Old February 22nd, 2024, 07:43 AM

Well sad news, seller just texted me the VIN: 342879Z128044
Old February 22nd, 2024, 07:47 AM
Banned

Sorry that post by me wasn't meant for your post. Oops.

Glad you asked the question to avoid the trip. 👍
Old February 22nd, 2024, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Sorry that post by me wasn't meant for your post. Oops.

Glad you asked the question to avoid the trip. 👍
All is good.......no harm, no foul, no one went to the doctor, no one went to the hospital and no one went to jail. IT'S ALL GOOD!
Old February 22nd, 2024, 07:55 AM
Banned

And you didn't take a trip to look at a fake 442. Win win.
Old February 22nd, 2024, 07:57 AM
Running On Empty

For your benefit...

Old February 22nd, 2024, 07:59 AM

Thank you, scared me at first thinking it was an electrical wiring diagram....I'm allergic to them and find them shocking.......bad humor is my gift.

Very interesting........

Last edited by azmusclecar; February 22nd, 2024 at 09:16 AM.
Old February 22nd, 2024, 08:55 AM

Well sad news, seller just texted me the VIN: 342879Z128044
Ahh sorry about that A Z .

She is a Fremont Supreme, same as mine. Not a bad car at all if I may say so myself. But far from a 442, and should be 1/2 it's price all other things being equal...
Old February 22nd, 2024, 09:15 AM

It's this misrepresenting a car that bothers me. The seller NEVER fessed up after days of communication.

There's another 72 that is close to that 69 but at least the owner says it's a tribute. Sadly he's about 10K over my budget as we stand.

So no joy to be found here today. Like Elmer Fudd used to say, just keep huntin dem waskulwee wabbits.

Post script: Just found out the engine is a 383 Stroker, and T-10 trams and 4.88 gears. A true red light to red light screamer.
I made him an offer and he politely turned me down.

Last edited by azmusclecar; February 22nd, 2024 at 04:57 PM. Reason: additional info
Old February 23rd, 2024, 11:22 AM

I'd like to thank all who contributed to my thread. I've moved on to finding another car, an honest car. Admin can lock this thread.

Last edited by azmusclecar; February 23rd, 2024 at 11:26 AM.
Old February 24th, 2024, 08:48 AM

That doesn't happen. People just stop posting and it sinks.
Old February 24th, 2024, 09:32 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Or you can revisit it later on and add info, e.g. what your next project to be evaluated might be.
Old February 24th, 2024, 02:28 PM
Running On Empty

I'd like to thank all who contributed to my thread. I've moved on to finding another car, an honest car. Admin can lock this thread.
Threads remain open since others (Guests &/or Members) may find information contained w/in this thread useful.
Old February 24th, 2024, 03:28 PM

Got it, sorry, different rules for different forums. I know why it's done because so folks won't reopen a 5 year old thread thinking it's still
alive. Thanks again for letting me know.
Old February 24th, 2024, 06:04 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Hello and welcome AZ.
What got wrecked?

Ill assume you are looking for a 442 between 1968 - 1972. Do you have a price range or a cap?

442 basics:
For 1968-1971 the 442 is its own model as indicated by the 344 VIN. Paperwork is always nice to have such as the POP card, window sticker and other dealer paperwork, but the 344 cannot be disputed. Always ask for paperwork, it increases the value regardless of the year of manufacture.

In 72 the 442 reverted back to an option code on the cutlass and cutlass S line. Option code W29.
Unlike 68-71, a 1972 VIN will tell you which engine the car originally came with, but will not indicate W29 lineage, only paperwork can prove that.

"Number Matching" Status:
All 68-72s (and up) will have VIN derivative numbers stamped on the engine block ID pad and transmission case to indicate those components came from the factory in that car..."numbers matching car." The stamped derivative numbers need to match the last 6 digits of the VIN.
If you are a freak about originality, other parts will need to have specific date codes on them to further indicate originality, carb, distributor, alternator et al.

If you are interested in 1964-67 442s, they are similar to the 72s as far as being an option on the Cutlass. Again paperwork is required. These early year cars have other indicators of authenticity and are harder to prove. We can help with details if needed.

Condition = Price:
Rust in key areas is a major concern. You live in the dry desert. That doesn't mean the car lived in your wonderful dry climate all its whole life.
You desert dry guys can be caught off guard by a northern salt belt rotted car dolled up to look shiny and nice. You guys don't pay attention to frames door seams firewalls etc. Rot is something you are likely unfamiliar with. Always look for a dry car. A northerner can spot a rot box a mile away. Hell I can smell one...lol

Always look under the car. Look at the frame, the floors and their cross-members, trunk pan, wheel houses, all of the door trunk rocker seams. Vinyl top cars can hide rot under the top. The dash board where it meets the windshield is a trouble spot. Pull the wide stainless trim off under the wipers to see the naked truth. Collision damage is a concern too. Do you have access to a lift? Do you know a "guy" to assist with an inspection? Collision damage can be hard to spot. Its worth it to pay a knowledgeable inspector prior to purchasing.

If parts need replacing on your new purchase always rebuild those components. Big Box parts houses are not where you want to go. DO NOT turn in the parts for the core charge.
Several companies supply proper reproduction parts for Oldsmobile. Fusick, The Parts Place, OPGI, Year One. Other specialty shops cater to rebuilding services, wire harnesses, inter upholstery kits etc.

Consider obtaining agreed value collector car insurance...the moment the title & registration are in your name regardless if its plated and on the road. I use J C Taylor.
Do not use your daily driver car insurance.

Ive rambled long enough. Good luck. Ask questions. We'll help you live the dream!
Steve
Old February 24th, 2024, 06:32 PM

Well, my daily driver got totaled so I'm retired and still have my pickemup truck. So I thought why not get a project car.

My first muscle car was a 1969 Jade Green Saddle Interior Bench Seat mind you 442 4 speed.

I was thinking of my youth and thought I'd try to duplicate the car since I can't duplicate my youth.

So to be brief, the true 442s are out of my piggy bank range. I like wrenching on cars I just hate buying junk and over paying for it.

Who doesn't??

I've been blessed to own a lot of old muscle cars before, but I got out of the hobby cashing out my cars and bought a nice home to die in.

I had a nice 24x24 garage built on the property and it's empty. I know, I know, it's like a sin. So that's why I'm trying to get back into the hobby,

but keeping my wits about me, and not overspending, but finding a true car, at a true price, from a true seller. Sounds good huh? But is it reality?

Time will tell. So much has changed in this world, especially people. MY OLD SCHOOL learning sometimes seems so outdated dealing with

people. I know I'm a dinosaur because I see how my old skin is scaling. So, I guess I'll just keep looking for that pot o'gold.

Meanwhile thanks for the kind invitations and remarks. Almost feels homey here.......and I don't mean an old folks home. Let's not go there. LITERALLY!

Old February 25th, 2024, 05:46 PM

Have patience, they are out there still. Be ready to pounce when it shows up, the good deals don’t last a day…
that’s how I landed my replacement.
Old February 25th, 2024, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by herkguy
Have patience, they are out there still. Be ready to pounce when it shows up, the good deals don’t last a day…
that’s how I landed my replacement.
Well Herkguy, I'd love to tell you how great I think you are but when I see the car in your Avatar, I hate you even more.

OKAY I AM JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!

The 1969 Hurst Olds was the pinnacle of my car life. Sadly, I was never able to reach that pinnacle. Never got to sit in one or drive one.

Only saw a few in my lifetime. Tributes yes, the originals, nope. Maybe at a really big car show in a city.

When I had my 1969 442, I had an accident and the hood and the hood mechanism were damaged. I asked the body shop manager if he

could replace my stock 1969 hood with the MAILBOX edition from the Hurst. He said the insurance wouldn't allow the upgrade and I at that

time was struggling making $1.75 an hour maintaining bowling pinsetters.

Here's the twist to this long boring tale: The body shop released the car back to me unknowingly without the hood SAFETY catch installed.

Well, as I was driving to work on Interstate 81 the hood started to shake and the next thing I know all I saw was hood out the windshield.

It was never really adjusted right and worked itself open and when the 70 mph wind hit it, it became a giant sail. It laid back over top of the roof

denting it and pulling the hood hinges up bending the fenders. I had to get off to the side by rolling down my window and looking out the side to

get to the berm. I then had to pull the hood down best I could, jump on it to take enough bend out of it to see over it. Of course this happened

late at night and where was my cellphone in 1970?

I babied the car back home, and the next day I called the body shop and asked WTH?? They came and towed it back to the shop. Come to find out

UPS delivered the safety catch the very day AFTER they released the car to me.

Moral of the story: I'm glad it was a regular hood was destroyed, and sadly the body shop manager reminded me, NO HE WILL NOT SUBSTITUE

a HURST OLDS MAILBOX HOOD for my damaged one. Sometimes, a guy just can't catch a break. The end. Wake up, credits are rolling.
Old February 25th, 2024, 09:10 PM

OK, you seem alright. I guess we’ll let you stay around for a while.
Old February 25th, 2024, 10:03 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Set up some alerts (have grand kids do it) for BAT, Hemmings, Craigslist, eBay etc and make it your morning and before you go to bed routine to log on and surf for a 69.
Saturday AM seems to be when new listings pop up. Put 69 Cutlass and 442 into Google daily.

Dont rule out a nice Cutlass coupe or vert with a stick shift. You can bolt on the FE2 suspension bits and have a very nice machine guaranteed to put a smile on your face.

Broaden your search. Consider a 68 (I'm partial) or a 70. I have seen nice 68/69 Cutlass's go cheap that need a little work but were very solid. 10-15K

Arizona is the right place to find a car that might need paint and an interior but no rot repair. Give yourself an opportunity to try your hand at painting and seat covers. You have the space and the time.

Another idea is you could finance a car. A few finance companies specialize in sports/muscle/exotic financing.
Find a nice car for 25-30K. Monthly payments wont be more than a new daily driver would be. Clock is tickin! Get after it!

We have a want ad and classified page as well...Place a want ad and update it weekly so it stays on top.

Last edited by droldsmorland; February 25th, 2024 at 10:06 PM.
Old February 26th, 2024, 11:24 AM

thanks for the lead, especially when you include pictures........
Old February 26th, 2024, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Arizona is the right place to find a car that might need paint and an interior but no rot repair.
Unfortunately, most of the desert Southwest cars end up in the Midwest and the supply has shrunk enormously over the years.
Old February 26th, 2024, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Unfortunately, most of the desert Southwest cars end up in the Midwest and the supply has shrunk enormously over the years.
Ain't that the truffis Ruffis?? I've been here since 1989.....I can attest to that.
Old February 26th, 2024, 07:38 PM

Well Herkguy, I'd love to tell you how great I think you are but when I see the car in your Avatar, I hate you even more.

OKAY I AM JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!

The 1969 Hurst Olds was the pinnacle of my car life. Sadly, I was never able to reach that pinnacle. Never got to sit in one or drive one.

Only saw a few in my lifetime. Tributes yes, the originals, nope. Maybe at a really big car show in a city.

When I had my 1969 442, I had an accident and the hood and the hood mechanism were damaged. I asked the body shop manager if he

could replace my stock 1969 hood with the MAILBOX edition from the Hurst. He said the insurance wouldn't allow the upgrade and I at that

time was struggling making $1.75 an hour maintaining bowling pinsetters.

Here's the twist to this long boring tale: The body shop released the car back to me unknowingly without the hood SAFETY catch installed.

Well, as I was driving to work on Interstate 81 the hood started to shake and the next thing I know all I saw was hood out the windshield.

It was never really adjusted right and worked itself open and when the 70 mph wind hit it, it became a giant sail. It laid back over top of the roof

denting it and pulling the hood hinges up bending the fenders. I had to get off to the side by rolling down my window and looking out the side to

get to the berm. I then had to pull the hood down best I could, jump on it to take enough bend out of it to see over it. Of course this happened

late at night and where was my cellphone in 1970?

I babied the car back home, and the next day I called the body shop and asked WTH?? They came and towed it back to the shop. Come to find out

UPS delivered the safety catch the very day AFTER they released the car to me.

Moral of the story: I'm glad it was a regular hood was destroyed, and sadly the body shop manager reminded me, NO HE WILL NOT SUBSTITUE

a HURST OLDS MAILBOX HOOD for my damaged one. Sometimes, a guy just can't catch a break. The end. Wake up, credits are rolling.

lol that’s a bad day on the road when th hood lays over. Glad you were all right.

My 69 HO was a total blind squirrel car move.I had a 69 cutlass s in HS and then in 1990 while in the Air Force I bought my first 69 442( 400 4 spd car) but a rebuild on the motor and a few years later, sold it to our builder to buy our first house.
the quest for a replacement was on and eventually I came across the HO parked behind a shop. It was 1993 and the car had been parked in 1981 with 50k miles. . The previous owner had gone to Europe, got a divorce and his ex had the car impounded.
his buds that had the shop bailed it out of police auction and it was parked for those 12 years.

when I came across it I actually had no idea what an HO was, I just new it had a 442 vin and unique paint and hood scoop that I liked.
better sit down now… (I paid $1500 for it in 1993)
A friend olds nut of mine told me what I had bought and I ended up restoring it over a few years.
I owned it for 25 years and sadly sold it in 2018 to fund my new shop.

in 2020 I finished my shop and begun the quest for my current 70 442….another great deal that I came across. All original rust free AL car with one repaint in 2000. I had to reject some great cars to get to it but it was worth the wait.

somewhere, there is your car waiting for you…it’s calling you and making you go through the reject pile first..

Last edited by herkguy; February 26th, 2024 at 07:42 PM.
Old February 27th, 2024, 12:53 AM

the above story makes me want to;

A: Cut off your foot and carry it and throw my rabbit foot away.

B. Rub you and make a wish, (but only in a politically correct way mind you)

C. Stalk you then watch for a great deal, push you down to get to it first.

D, Drink whatever you are drinking.

E, Eat whatever you are eating.

F. Copy your 401K portfolio

G. Have a Voodoo doll made of you.

H. ALL THE ABOVE

So many choices, so little time.

I'm glad to read or hear of other's blessings. It makes me feel so warm and comfy at my 12 step program in the institution.

As we all say at the end: THANKS FOR SHARING. (12 step program for sarcasm to follow)
Old February 27th, 2024, 06:01 AM

Love it!!!
Old February 27th, 2024, 12:28 PM

It makes me feel so warm and comfy at my 12 step program in the institution.
So I gotta ask - are you still there, and if not, do they know you escaped?
Old February 27th, 2024, 12:51 PM

Hmmmm I'm sure they've found the restraints I chewed through lying on my bed by now. I left a note saying I couldn't reach the chain to summon help, and I had to pee
real real real bad. They'll understand, and install a longer pull chain for when I return.