Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

is there a resource on how to replace fender/header panel on an 88 LS?

Search this Thread

Old October 17th, 2022, 08:45 AM

is there a resource on how to replace fender/header panel on an 88 LS?

i have a 1996 olds 88 and its hard to find alot of information online. im calling junkyards now to see who has this car so i can get the parts, im guessing it should be fairly easy on a car like this
Old October 18th, 2022, 06:46 AM

I bought a Chilton's guide and a factory manual on CD for my 96 Oldsmobile. Generally, the manuals on CD are a craps shoot because the scanning can degrade the quality of the images. Thankfully, I haven't run into any fuzzy pictures yet.

As you mentioned, it should be pretty straight forward to remove. I suggest you remove the damage one on your car before hitting up the salvage yard, especially if you live in an area where you can drive during the day without headlights.
Old October 18th, 2022, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
I bought a Chilton's guide and a factory manual on CD for my 96 Oldsmobile. Generally, the manuals on CD are a craps shoot because the scanning can degrade the quality of the images. Thankfully, I haven't run into any fuzzy pictures yet.

As you mentioned, it should be pretty straight forward to remove. I suggest you remove the damage one on your car before hitting up the salvage yard, especially if you live in an area where you can drive during the day without headlights.
so you suggest just removing the panel and leaving it off before getting a replacement? i was looking for the part so i can replace it right after i remove the original panel
Old October 19th, 2022, 05:19 AM

Removing the destroyed header panel before going to the salvage yard will make it a breeze to remove a good one. I'm trying to think of the way the body panels align on my 96 98. I could remove the grill and still have the headlight buckets on the car. It might not be the same for your 88. Truthfully, if I were to remove the grill/headlight buckets on my 96 98 I'd just start removing fasteners. Then again, I've had a bit of experience...
Old October 19th, 2022, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Removing the destroyed header panel before going to the salvage yard will make it a breeze to remove a good one. I'm trying to think of the way the body panels align on my 96 98. I could remove the grill and still have the headlight buckets on the car. It might not be the same for your 88. Truthfully, if I were to remove the grill/headlight buckets on my 96 98 I'd just start removing fasteners. Then again, I've had a bit of experience...
oh i see what youre saying, well i would do that if i knew how to remove them in the first place heh. im having a hard time finding my model at a junk yard in the meantime anyway so atleast it gives me some time to get that info lol