Care and Appearance Washing, waxing, paint care products, etc.

Final sealer wax after swirl removal?

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2020, 10:36 PM

Final sealer wax after swirl removal?

I waxed my 66 98 convertible with a 7” polisher and zymol cleaner wax. That worked well, but left swirls. The paint as I recall is 2 stage enamel,not original lacquer. Probably from the early 90’s...

Today I used my polisher and 3m swirl remover and got rid of the polisher swirls.

Would you recommend a final finish wax at this point?

The paint looks good, but is not slippery smooth to the touch like I’m used to after a good wax.

thanks in advance for your views and recommendations

cf
Old June 7th, 2020, 08:14 AM
Gary

I like Meguiars products. Their Ultimate Compound in my opinion gives a great shine. Now one thing I did do that made both of my cars really pop was to wet sand using my rotary wet sand using 3M Trizact pads using 3000 and 5000 grit pads. https://www.ebay.com/p/1722085241?iid=333118162893&ch

Then after using these disc I then polished the cars with Meguiars Ultimate Compound using a wool pad on my sander. I then applied their Swirl remover by hand and waxed over the compound. I also used a spray wax they have called Final Step. Those sanding pads made a huge impact on the shine I was looking for. I am sure their are a lot of other products out there that are great but my preference is Meguiars.

I would polish over what you have already done and see if that is the shine you are looking for.

Last edited by Gary's 2 442-S; June 7th, 2020 at 08:17 AM.
Old June 7th, 2020, 09:24 AM

Thanks!

That's just what I was looking for. Looking over the related threads, my impression that there are a large number of great products out now, not like the old days when it was a more limited market.

If you guys think it's right, I'd start with Meguiar's Ultimate, then if I don't get where I want to go get back down with the Trizact pads.

Working with sanding pads on paint scares me a bit since a fix would be expensive, but there are definitely some more hidden areas with some orange peel I could practice on. Or maybe practice in the door jambs.

Thanks again,
Chris
Old June 7th, 2020, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Gary's 2 442-S
I like Meguiars products. Their Ultimate Compound in my opinion gives a great shine. Now one thing I did do that made both of my cars really pop was to wet sand using my rotary wet sand using 3M Trizact pads using 3000 and 5000 grit pads. https://www.ebay.com/p/1722085241?iid=333118162893&ch

Then after using these disc I then polished the cars with Meguiars Ultimate Compound using a wool pad on my sander. I then applied their Swirl remover by hand and waxed over the compound. I also used a spray wax they have called Final Step. Those sanding pads made a huge impact on the shine I was looking for. I am sure their are a lot of other products out there that are great but my preference is Meguiars.

I would polish over what you have already done and see if that is the shine you are looking for.
What type of sander did you use with these pads?
Old June 7th, 2020, 01:08 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by RandyS
What type of sander did you use with these pads?
A rotary orbit sander was used with the Trizact pads. I used one like this one but not this exact brand.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Performance...wAAOSwC-5eRA9E
Old June 7th, 2020, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Gary's 2 442-S
A rotary orbit sander was used with the Trizact pads. I used one like this one but not this exact brand.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Performance...wAAOSwC-5eRA9E
Thanks!