Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1971 W-30 Convertible/ Mecum Kissimmee

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2022, 06:23 PM

1971 W-30 Convertible/ Mecum Kissimmee

This car looks beautiful - comes with Broadcast Card and Protect-o-Plate. Going on the block next month at Mecum Kissimmee. Considering its rarity I was posting the car to see if anyone knew anything about this particular car or it’s history.
Old December 29th, 2022, 02:16 PM
Escape From The Ordinary

That's a beauty!
Old December 29th, 2022, 03:12 PM

$200-250k guesstimate, that's serious coin.
Old December 29th, 2022, 09:10 PM

Has everything to MAYBE convince the guy from CANADA!! assuming the documents are not counterfeit, the vin was not originally a 342 changed to 344, the engine and transmission vin derivatives numbers have not been restamped, on and on and on and on.
Signed "Karen"
Old December 30th, 2022, 05:34 AM

Don't forget the carb as only his are real...........
Old December 30th, 2022, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by rallyredw31
Don't forget the carb as only his are real...........
Very good point!! Aren't you a "Karen" or am I the only one????
Old January 1st, 2023, 10:26 AM

It is a real car and one of the 110 produced with history back to the original owner, who I believe was a school teacher. The individual who purchased the car from the original owner performed the restoration. It was restored a while ago but has been well maintained.

The car was featured in the book “Million Dollar Muscle Cars” by Colin Comer.

During the Resto the original bench seat column shift configuration was changed to buckets with a floor shift. The trim tag was also changed to accommodate the modifications.

Interesting note is that since all 1971 W-30s had buckets as standard equipment, that the window sticker shows no monetary credit for ordering a bench seat in a convertible, while I have seen hardtops with a credit on the window sticker for deleting the buckets.

Also, there is at least one other similar W-30 , bench seat, column shift, same color combo which was originally sold new in California.

Of the 110 produced I believe that there are less than 50 considered to be real, but I would defer to Mr. Paul Martin, who has more up to date records on this.

Last edited by Stefano; January 1st, 2023 at 10:29 AM.
Old January 1st, 2023, 01:35 PM
Banned

During the Resto the original bench seat column shift configuration was changed to buckets with a floor shift. The trim tag was also changed to accommodate the modifications.
Am I reading that right? This car was originally a bench seat column shift car And the trim tag was changed?

I have always said if I bought a W car new it would have been white, black stripes, white interior.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; January 1st, 2023 at 01:39 PM.
Old January 1st, 2023, 02:17 PM

1971 Oldsmobile 442 W-30 Convertible | T147.1 | Kissimmee 2023 (mecum.com)

Doesn't changing the trim tag defeat the purpose of proper orig. documentation?
Old January 2nd, 2023, 07:23 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Falkon
1971 Oldsmobile 442 W-30 Convertible | T147.1 | Kissimmee 2023 (mecum.com)

Doesn't changing the trim tag defeat the purpose of proper orig. documentation?
Don't get me started...
Old January 2nd, 2023, 07:29 AM

This will be like the Agean car that got unwound for not disclosing a color change. I don't see where they disclose a
change from bench to buckets and more importantly a trim tag change. That's a big no-no in my book.
The things we don't know it's amazing. Thanks for enlightening us Stefano.
Old January 2nd, 2023, 10:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Am I reading that right? This car was originally a bench seat column shift car And the trim tag was changed?
So I did read that right? 🤯 The freaking trim tag was changed. 200 grand though. WTF? All kinds of praise for a car that isn't what it was born as.

I am so over this bullshit over restored car world.

PS: Check that front end alignment. 👍

Last edited by no1oldsfan; January 2nd, 2023 at 10:36 AM.
Old January 2nd, 2023, 10:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rallyredw31
This will be like the Agean car that got unwound for not disclosing a color change. I don't see where they disclose a
change from bench to buckets and more importantly a trim tag change. That's a big no-no in my book.
The things we don't know it's amazing. Thanks for enlightening us Stefano.
Boy amen. Funny what isn't told. Not just a huge No-No that is flat out lying. All purty with the high definition camera though huh? Why do people lie?? You changed the freaking trim tag....
Old January 2nd, 2023, 10:56 AM

I'm new to an Oldsmobile, but are those 1971 front fenders. Just being picky for the heck of it. I have a plain 1971 Cutlass convertible.

Last edited by Falkon; January 2nd, 2023 at 10:59 AM.
Old January 2nd, 2023, 11:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Falkon
I'm new to an Oldsmobile, but are those 1971 front fenders. Just being picky for the heck of it. I have a plain 1971 Cutlass convertible.
Early 1971 cars got the flat flange fenders, but the Feb 71 build date on this car suggests that I should have come with dimpled.
Old January 2nd, 2023, 06:28 PM

Considering the rarity of this car, and it’s outstanding condition, would the original setup of a bench seat with a column shift affect its value at auction ?
Old January 2nd, 2023, 06:31 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Bigmikey65
Considering the rarity of this car, and it’s outstanding condition, would the original setup of a bench seat with a column shift affect its value at auction ?
In reality, probably not. Some things are rare because they are unpopular.
Old January 2nd, 2023, 06:47 PM

So true. Unfortunately public opinion usually over rules in cases like this. This is a 2nd w30 convertible that I've seen that was ordered with bench seat instead of buckets. Some guys back then wanted a bench so they could have their girlfriend next to them. That was what I was told by that owner who ordered it that way. It actually makes it rarer, but less popular.
If they kept the original trim tag and disclosed that change I personally see nothing wrong with this. It's funny how people get so over upset about a car that someone else owns. The owner who had it restored obviously wanted buckets. His car his money spent to make it the way he wanted it. I guess I just don't get why someone gets so worked up over these things.

Last edited by cman442; January 2nd, 2023 at 06:51 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2023, 09:31 PM
Banned

Personally to me it would make it more unique.

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Where is the spoiler?

Originally Posted by cman442
So true. Unfortunately public opinion usually over rules in cases like this. This is a 2nd w30 convertible that I've seen that was ordered with bench seat instead of buckets. Some guys back then wanted a bench so they could have their girlfriend next to them. That was what I was told by that owner who ordered it that way. It actually makes it rarer, but less popular.
If they kept the original trim tag and disclosed that change I personally see nothing wrong with this. It's funny how people get so over upset about a car that someone else owns. The owner who had it restored obviously wanted buckets. His car his money spent to make it the way he wanted it. I guess I just don't get why someone gets so worked up over these things.
One of the jokes that has become this Oldsmobile collector's world to me is that really nobody cares anymore about how real a car is. If it's purty that is all that matters.

So changing the body tag doesn't matter? That's all good right?
Old January 3rd, 2023, 04:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
One of the jokes that has become this Oldsmobile collector's world to me is that really nobody cares anymore about how real a car is. If it's purty that is all that matters.

So changing the body tag doesn't matter? That's all good right?
It's not just Oldsmobiles...
Old January 3rd, 2023, 04:49 AM

Yes it's good as long as it's not falsely advertised in my opinion. My point was that if the guy who owned the car paid for the restoration wanted it differently, his car his $$$. I personally wouldn't do that, but not my car. I appreciate it for what it is. Don't get me started. I'm just tired of all the negativity lately. If someone is being dishonest knowingly that's when I have big issues.

My other point is that most of the time general public interest will determine value more than cars rareness. That's why a 442 w30 clone will sell faster and most likely for more than an original W31 every time. You can have the nicest house but if it's in a neighborhood no one wants to live in it's not worth much regardless. It is what it is. Not saying it's right.

Last edited by cman442; January 3rd, 2023 at 04:54 AM.
Old January 3rd, 2023, 04:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

The cowl tag doesn't include the VIN and is not covered under FEDERAL laws (state laws vary). In any case, even with federal VIN tag laws, the actual crime is "intent to commit fraud", not the physical tampering. Fully disclosing that the cowl tag was altered covers the seller legally. Ethically is a different question.
Old January 3rd, 2023, 05:15 AM

[QUOTEThe cowl tag doesn't include the VIN and is not covered under FEDERAL laws (state laws vary). In any case, even with federal VIN tag laws, the actual crime is "intent to commit fraud", not the physical tampering. Fully disclosing that the cowl tag was altered covers the seller legally. Ethically is a different question.][/QUOTE]

Exactly

​​​​​​​Thanks Joe

Old January 3rd, 2023, 05:24 AM

My 71 W30 Feb build date came with flat ridge fenders much to my surprise.
Old January 3rd, 2023, 01:34 PM

Is there a difference in weight between the buckets/center console setup and a bench/column shift setup ? If so, approximately how much ?
Old January 3rd, 2023, 01:55 PM
Old(s) Fart

Is there a difference in weight between the buckets/center console setup and a bench/column shift setup ? If so, approximately how much ?
The bench is lighter by a small but non-zero amount. We're talking 5-10 lbs kind of differences. The bigger difference is that the bench was a credit option over the standard equipment buckets in the 442, so it dropped the price by $68.46. In 1970 that was nothing to sneeze at.
Old January 3rd, 2023, 03:22 PM

The bigger difference is that the bench was a credit option over the standard equipment buckets in the 442, so it dropped the price by $68.46. In 1970 that was nothing to sneeze at.
Good point. To further put things into perspective, an additional $200.00 would buy you the W-30 option.
Old January 3rd, 2023, 04:38 PM

if the trim tag changed, was it repro tag w original body#? or from completely different car? Cant ask for this kinda $$ with a fake trim tag imo.
Old January 4th, 2023, 07:22 AM

My understanding is that original tag was retained and another was made to reflect original numbers and dates but for to add bucket seat code. The original parts were also retained and sold with the car after it was restored. I haven’t seen the car for some time , but have been informed that the original trim tag might be back on the car at this point. Anyone have a picture of the current trim tag?
Old January 4th, 2023, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Stefano
My understanding is that original tag was retained and another was made to reflect original numbers and dates but for to add bucket seat code. The original parts were also retained and sold with the car after it was restored. I haven’t seen the car for some time , but have been informed that the original trim tag might be back on the car at this point. Anyone have a picture of the current trim tag?
Hi Stefano, the car should be auctioned shortly.
Old January 4th, 2023, 01:00 PM

I will not be bidding 😂
Old January 4th, 2023, 01:02 PM

Next Thursday the 12th
Old January 4th, 2023, 03:40 PM

I dig the bench seats, something different..beautiful car to bad on the mods and trim tag replacement..my gut says it will not effect the sale.
Old January 4th, 2023, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Andy
I dig the bench seats, something different..beautiful car to bad on the mods and trim tag replacement..my gut says it will not effect the sale.
Well of course not as a fabricated cowl tag is proof that the counterfeit interior is legitimate.
Old January 4th, 2023, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Well of course not as a fabricated cowl tag is proof that the counterfeit interior is legitimate.
Ok..I meant with or without the knowledge of the tag swap if everyone on here knows it pretty sure potential buyers will as well. Who knows for sure tho.

Last edited by Andy; January 4th, 2023 at 06:30 PM.
Old January 4th, 2023, 07:20 PM

I can assure you this car will bring a very, very good price. The car is a rare '71 W-30, factory air, convertible. The car is beautiful. The idea that buckets and a floor console replaced the original bench seat would not deter my interest whatsoever, and is much to do about nothing. If the seller includes the bench seat with the sale, great. The car has the window sticker, broadcast card and protect-o-plate. If this car had blue hood and side stripes and a blue interior, I would be all over the car.

Last edited by twilightblue28A; January 5th, 2023 at 03:44 AM.
Old January 5th, 2023, 12:12 PM

What a shame that a restorer’s stupidity has put a scarlet letter on a very desirable vehicle.
Old January 5th, 2023, 05:17 PM

The bench is lighter by a small but non-zero amount. We're talking 5-10 lbs kind of differences. The bigger difference is that the bench was a credit option over the standard equipment buckets in the 442, so it dropped the price by $68.46. In 1970 that was nothing to sneeze at.
Plus, you could do it in the front seat!

Old January 7th, 2023, 05:40 PM

here is a picture of the trim tag. I was at mecum today. I do not have my decoder book so I will leave it up to you guys to determine if it is the original.​​​​​​​
Old January 7th, 2023, 06:12 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ts71442
here is a picture of the trim tag. I was at mecum today. I do not have my decoder book so I will leave it up to you guys to determine if it is the original.​​​​​​​
Trim tag matches the car. 1971 442 convertible, black bench seat interior, Cameo White with white top.

Quick Reply: 1971 W-30 Convertible/ Mecum Kissimmee