1970 W-31 at Mecum

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2023, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
A dealer would only buy it if they thought they could make a profit.
I think some of these guys see an OAI hood and a 4 speed and instantly assume its just like all the 70 442 W30 4 speeds that sell for $150k+. They should stay on the porch with the little dogs.
Old May 24th, 2023, 04:14 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by 70W-32
I think some of these guys see an OAI hood and a 4 speed and instantly assume its just like all the 70 442 W30 4 speeds that sell for $150k+. They should stay on the porch with the little dogs.
But I have an OAI hood and a 6-speed. With those 2 extra gears, it should be worth more than a 70 442 W30 with only a 4 speed.

And now you tell me I have to stay on the porch with my little dogs!

Dang, you know how to burst a guy's bubble!
Old May 25th, 2023, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by vc455
but i have an oai hood and a 6-speed. With those 2 extra gears, it should be worth more than a 70 442 w30 with only a 4 speed.

And now you tell me i have to stay on the porch with my little dogs!

Dang, you know how to burst a guy's bubble!
lol
Old May 25th, 2023, 01:40 PM

It's money laundering, I know it is because I read it on this forum.
Old May 25th, 2023, 02:32 PM
Banned

Oh the joke's.

Tell me one knowledgeable Oldsmobile person would have paid that for this car? Name one. Never happen. This car was built to scam from the word go. This car was built just to sham. Get a few people to defend it and go from there. They can now say "Oh look it sold for this already here." Then they go on to yet another website auction etc. Call it watered down. Every single True Oldsmobile person knows that this car Never came as a 70 W-31. Period. This car with it's bogus stripes mis-sligned and made thicker to try and make up for it. AC power brakes etc etc etc etc.
How does an Oldsmobile community support this car?

Last edited by no1oldsfan; May 25th, 2023 at 02:37 PM.
Old May 25th, 2023, 02:48 PM

I don't know the car and haven't seen it in person. I was not at Indy this year. I can't tell you from what has been presented whether or not the car is a true W-31 which had A/C and Power Brakes added in the past 50 years of its life or when it was restored. I did purchase a 1970 W-30 long ago which had options added to it to include factory correct A/C and have seen this done over the years with other makes and models of muscle cars, some which had a/c available as a factory option and some not.

What I'm surmising is that someone took a 4 speed non W-31 Cutlass and added some W-31 parts, emblems and paint scheme. But I can't state that with certainty.

Old May 25th, 2023, 02:55 PM
Banned

Exactly. You get what I am saying. Then add your crew overpaying in one auction so you can continue to scam.

There is no way a true W-31 engine can support power brakes. Someone threw a lot of money at a car to scam people period. The builder knew exactly what they were doing and their intent. I say it over and over. Show before pictures if it's real. Not just this car but so many. People overpaying for not real cars has become the new norm. Never in my house thank you. You can't even get the stripes right. Let alone the things on this car that NEVER came on a factory W-31.

One of my brother's owned a factory W-31 car. They aren't just a 350 Cutlass. Go blow that smoke somewhere else.
Old May 25th, 2023, 04:47 PM

and it's already sold on EBay? WTF is going on here, or was it removed...... I would like to know.
Old May 25th, 2023, 04:55 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Indy Guy
and it's already sold on EBay? WTF is going on here, or was it removed...... I would like to know.
All we know is that the ad was removed.

Old May 25th, 2023, 05:16 PM
Banned

This car was built to scam people. Period. Even here (not only just this car but so many) people say so what. You can't build it for the asking price. That is what is so lame about the collector side of this "hobby." The defense of fake cars just never surprise's me anymore.
To think that someone here or any other Oldsmobile website doesn't have ties to this car. I don't buy that. One hundred percent scam car. Built just to take advantage of Oldsmobile's being the new big dollar car. Dime a dozen. Defended too. Nice 👍

Last edited by no1oldsfan; May 25th, 2023 at 09:17 PM.
Old May 25th, 2023, 05:21 PM
Banned

Just be freaking honest. Say Cutlass built to look like a W car. Nope. Just lie. Scam. Nice soul.
Old May 25th, 2023, 09:06 PM
Oldsdruid

Andy, this has been an ongoing discussion for years.
Don't get me started. I brought it up as early as 1996 after chairing the 95 Nats and seeing just how useless and invisible the National Judging Committee was at that time. My "insubordination" ultimately cost me my seat on the OCA Board once the head judge got himself elected OCA president.

As an AACA Life Member I realize their judging program has to be unspecialized, if not outright vague. Even so an AACA Grand National award carries some weight in old car world, and I had a real problem with using those AACA judging badges to legitimize what is clearly a bastard car.

Would have been worse if they'd trotted out OCA awards though. That would have made the entire Olds community look bad.
Old May 25th, 2023, 09:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Indy Guy
All we know is that the ad was removed.

Well hopefully this post and any other like it out there contributed to it being called out as bullshi*. Eat 💩 to whoever built this car with the sole intent of scamming.
Old May 26th, 2023, 10:52 AM

It doesn't matter whether you're talking about Oldsmobiles, Buicks, Pontiacs, Chevys, Mopars or even brass era cars. The fact is there are a small group of people who carry the flame for their favorite mark and take things like matching numbers and date codes very seriously. Some people might characterize this as a mental disorder! The fact is, the overwhelming majority of people who attend auctions and buy cars through eBay simply don't care about the car's authenticity. For the case of muscle cars, you see it all the time; the car simply needs some of the "identifiers" of the 'top dog' offerings to attract attention and bring big money. For Oldsmobile's, that means the fiberglass hood, wing, and stripes. Period! They don't care if the engine has the correct harmonic balancer. Does it have a/c? "I gotta have a/c"!
For Buick's it's Stage1 badges and GSX stripes and spoilers. For Chevelles it's cowl induction hoods and stripes. Guys with more money than brains go to the auctions because they're an event and they find the next shiny penny to make their equally ignorant friends ooh and ahh. It's not worth getting too worked up over. If you're into originality, you'll know what you're looking for and will avoid the circus and get the right car for you. Does it hurt the hobby? Hard to say.
I will say that, stripes aside, that W31 is a nice looking car. If I didn't know Oldsmobile's and had deep pockets and was on the hunt for a "musclecar", I'd be interested in it. If I took it somewhere and an Olds fanatic started giving me a hard time about it not being 'real' I'd ignore him. At least guys like this keep interest in musclecars alive. Would you rather see this "W31" roaming the streets or a Honda/Toyota/Subaru electric car? I'll take the questionable W31 every day of the week.
Old May 26th, 2023, 12:11 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by acavagnaro
It doesn't matter whether you're talking about Oldsmobiles, Buicks, Pontiacs, Chevys, Mopars or even brass era cars. The fact is there are a small group of people who carry the flame for their favorite mark and take things like matching numbers and date codes very seriously. Some people might characterize this as a mental disorder! The fact is, the overwhelming majority of people who attend auctions and buy cars through eBay simply don't care about the car's authenticity. For the case of muscle cars, you see it all the time; the car simply needs some of the "identifiers" of the 'top dog' offerings to attract attention and bring big money. For Oldsmobile's, that means the fiberglass hood, wing, and stripes. Period! They don't care if the engine has the correct harmonic balancer. Does it have a/c? "I gotta have a/c"!
For Buick's it's Stage1 badges and GSX stripes and spoilers. For Chevelles it's cowl induction hoods and stripes. Guys with more money than brains go to the auctions because they're an event and they find the next shiny penny to make their equally ignorant friends ooh and ahh. It's not worth getting too worked up over. If you're into originality, you'll know what you're looking for and will avoid the circus and get the right car for you. Does it hurt the hobby? Hard to say.
I will say that, stripes aside, that W31 is a nice looking car. If I didn't know Oldsmobile's and had deep pockets and was on the hunt for a "musclecar", I'd be interested in it. If I took it somewhere and an Olds fanatic started giving me a hard time about it not being 'real' I'd ignore him. At least guys like this keep interest in musclecars alive. Would you rather see this "W31" roaming the streets or a Honda/Toyota/Subaru electric car? I'll take the questionable W31 every day of the week.
Look, I couldn't care less how people with more money than brains spend it. My concern is with the "truth decay" that happens when people accept a fake like this as a W31. I've heard too many "special order" stories associated with one-of-none cars, and NEVER has one of these stories been substantiated with actual proof.
Old May 26th, 2023, 07:21 PM

My friend was a driver for this show, owns a 70 W-31, and depicted this one as fake, so that's certainly enough for me.
Old May 26th, 2023, 10:23 PM
Banned

Look, I couldn't care less how people with more money than brains spend it. My concern is with the "truth decay" that happens when people accept a fake like this as a W31. I've heard too many "special order" stories associated with one-of-none cars, and NEVER has one of these stories been substantiated with actual proof.
Originally Posted by Koda
My friend was a driver for this show, owns a 70 W-31, and depicted this one as fake, so that's certainly enough for me.
The defense of fake cars here just blows me away. What happened to true Oldsmobile people. You would rather have a fake car than a real import??? Wow. That mentality absolutely kills this hobby for true people. Not just Oldsmobile people. All true badge people. How in the hell do you and any other people defend fake cars and feel good about it? You would be a buyer?? 🤯
The days of honesty in this world has deteriorated so badly. It isn't just cars. It is who people are. Again for someone as strong in this community as you to say what you did absolutely dumps on true Oldsmobile collectors. Wow.
Old May 26th, 2023, 10:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by acavagnaro
My post was completely directed at this and every person with this mentality. You would rather see a dressed up fake car ??? Where is your head?? Oh it keeps interest in muscle cars? Wow. Good to know where you really stand. Real cars don't mean shi* to you. Cheers to volo. Your words will live forever. Just unreal to me. People that think over paying for fake cars helps the muscle car world?? Are you f ing serious?? Nice. You get it. Not. You of all people. I as well as many other people here will never look at you the same. Thanks for showing your true colors. 🤮

Last edited by no1oldsfan; May 26th, 2023 at 10:34 PM.
Old May 26th, 2023, 11:04 PM
Banned

I can't stop reading your post and your take on this car. I could comment on damn near every line.
You really think fake cars don't effect the market? I feel for people with true cars with the mentality of people like you. You literally said it doesn't matter if a car is fake. It helps keep people interested. WTF?? Are you a bit coin guy?
Old June 3rd, 2023, 08:16 AM

I don’t think anyone is saying fake cars are good. I think some are saying merely fake cars are a reality.

Fake cars hurt the value of real cars and I would believe that to be true. I would find it very hard to believe anyone on this forum would buy or promote a fake Olds icon like the W31.
Old June 17th, 2023, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Oh the joke's.

Tell me one knowledgeable Oldsmobile person would have paid that for this car? Name one. Never happen. This car was built to scam from the word go. This car was built just to sham. Get a few people to defend it and go from there. They can now say "Oh look it sold for this already here." Then they go on to yet another website auction etc. Call it watered down. Every single True Oldsmobile person knows that this car Never came as a 70 W-31. Period. This car with it's bogus stripes mis-sligned and made thicker to try and make up for it. AC power brakes etc etc etc etc.
How does an Oldsmobile community support this car?
there are plenty of defenders on here..most of them have the same car and situation. A W car, undocumented, questionable history,,they see dollar signs and jump on board or go silent
Old June 18th, 2023, 03:05 AM

A fool and his money that is all to me
Alain red W-31
Old June 18th, 2023, 11:40 AM

I was called a fool as well. I wear it as a badge of honor🤪