'69 Cutlass with a\c help please

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2009, 04:25 AM

'69 Cutlass with a\c help please

Hey guys,
Couple of questions that hopefully someone can answer. Should a factory a\c '69 Olds alternator have two belts or just one? My power steering pump has two pulleys, but my alternator just has one, not sure if this is correct or the two pulley setup got taken off or lost over the years. Any help would be appreciated. By the way other GM cars of this vintage are not the same trust me I've looked. Thanks guys.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 06:17 AM

Your alternator should only have one belt and one pulley V-groove. This is common for A/C and non-A/C applications.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 08:30 AM
Registered

Groovy

The alternator on my '71 350 has a one groove pulley, the PS pump two.
The assembly manual only shows a one groove alternator/generator pulley for all engines no matter how equipped in '71.
A/C equipped or with heavy duty generator and engine cooling w/PS has a two groove PS pump pulley.
The PS pump front pulley groove belt goes around the crank and fan pulley center grooves. The alternator belt goes around the same pulleys on the rear groove and also rides on the rear PS pump pulley groove. The front grooves on the engine and fan pulleys are for the compressor belt.
The belts available for a '69 are the same as routed by name so I guess they would be the same.

sixty9olds got it.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
The PS pump front pulley groove belt goes around the crank and fan pulley center grooves. The alternator belt goes around the same pulleys on the rear groove and also rides on the rear PS pump pulley groove. The front grooves on the engine and fan pulleys are for the compressor belt.
Kinda like so...
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:08 AM

Thanks guys for the replys I wasn't sure and everyone I asked didn't know. Thanks for the picture also.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Kinda like so...
Pics are worth a thousand words, but dude...I hate to tell you this...somebody took your radiator and hoses and stuff.
Old October 4th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Cutlass Lover

Oh No Mr. Bill... EEK!
Old October 5th, 2009, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Pics are worth a thousand words, but dude...I hate to tell you this...somebody took your radiator and hoses and stuff.
Nope, noone scammed them. I just forgot to put them back on! That could be the cause of the overheating issue I am having...
Recon??

Every now and then us mechanics have some parts left over from a job; I am no exception. (Unfortunately I have enough spare parts now to almost build another car...)

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; October 5th, 2009 at 05:57 AM.
Old October 5th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Registered

It's Alive!

Nope, noone scammed them. I just forgot to put them back on! That could be the cause of the overheating issue I am having...
Recon??

Every now and then us mechanics have some parts left over from a job; I am no exception. (Unfortunately I have enough spare parts now to almost build another car...)

Halloween is soon, are you and your loyal hunchbacked Texas sidekick I-gor going to assemble that pieces-parts car in your castle dungeon lab-o-ratory Master Robenstein?
I got my pitchfork all sharpened up and ready, just in case.

Engines do run really cool when there's zero coolant, at least the temp gauge says so?

People with old VW beetles used to always want their anti-freeze checked at the gas station.

I told one guy that wanted to buy some anti-freeze for his that they were air cooled and he insisted that I was wrong, so I sold him a quart and he dumped it in the oil filler, the customer's always right.
Old October 5th, 2009, 08:01 AM

What bothers me the most is when I end up with left over pieces from a car model I've never owned.
Old October 5th, 2009, 08:12 AM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
What bothers me the most is when I end up with left over pieces from a car model I've never owned.
Ha ha been there done that.I got parts with my convertable parts car and my project car that have nothing to do with the cars themselves.