bench to aftermarket buckets

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2023, 06:52 AM

bench to aftermarket buckets

has anyone put aftermarket buckets in their bench seat cutlass? I was going to put original buckets in until I saw I have to weld in brackets to install them. So I've been researching aftermarket ones, but just trying to find the best looking seat with brackets, that don't require modification to them for install. Thanks in advance.
Old September 13th, 2023, 10:13 AM

Welding in brackets isn't terrible. Here is a thread from a few years back where I did that to install a power seat, which is different than a traditional bucket. Some good pics here to show what's involved. I probably have some factory bucket brackets stashed away somewhere if that's the way you want to go. The aftermarket brackets are not good reproductions at all.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...needed-141221/
Old September 13th, 2023, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by philv1983
has anyone put aftermarket buckets in their bench seat cutlass? I was going to put original buckets in until I saw I have to weld in brackets to install them. So I've been researching aftermarket ones, but just trying to find the best looking seat with brackets, that don't require modification to them for install. Thanks in advance.
It is physically impossible to safely put any buckets on bench seat brackets without additional brackets. A seat needs a bracket on the left and right side. Bench seats have brackets on the outboard sides to do that, two brackets total. Buckets seats, being two seats, with two brackets a piece, need four brackets total as they are basically two little bench seats. You will have to add the inboard brackets for any bucket, OEM or aftermarket. The only other thing you can do is custom bench.
Old September 13th, 2023, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
It is physically impossible to safely put any buckets on bench seat brackets without additional brackets. A seat needs a bracket on the left and right side. Bench seats have brackets on the outboard sides to do that, two brackets total. Buckets seats, being two seats, with two brackets a piece, need four brackets total as they are basically two little bench seats. You will have to add the inboard brackets for any bucket, OEM or aftermarket. The only other thing you can do is custom bench.
Thats not what I was asking. I'm talking about like Scat has bucket seats and brackets for our cars, I have no problem drilling a few holes, but I just don't want to be fabricating and welding in brackets. Just looking for seat and bracket combo that looks good, mounts easy, and no welding to the floor pan.
Old September 13th, 2023, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by philv1983
Thats not what I was asking. I'm talking about like Scat has bucket seats and brackets for our cars, I have no problem drilling a few holes, but I just don't want to be fabricating and welding in brackets. Just looking for seat and bracket combo that looks good, mounts easy, and no welding to the floor pan.
If you can't weld, a GM bracket can be drilled in any hole pattern in a space that is flat on it, and flat on the floor, and bolted together. Look at where and how many welds the factory put in the bench brackets, then duplicate the geometry and numbers of fasteners the best you can.
Old September 13th, 2023, 11:05 PM
Banned

If you are going to do it. Do it right. Break out the torch. Do it right. So much halfass out there. Don't be that.
Old September 14th, 2023, 06:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

The most important issue here is that the added seat brackets are tied to the structural supports under the floor pan, not just to the sheet metal pan itself. The hat-section crossmembers on the underside of the floor pan are intended to distribute the seat and seat belt loads into the pan. Factory seat brackets are welded above these structural supports. Aftermarket brackets, whether bolted or welded, need to also tie to these supports.
Old September 15th, 2023, 06:08 AM

You can always mock it up with simple small screws making sure follow JP’s info on placement for safety, then hire someone to weld them in..its not a big job once mocked up. Mobile welder probably charge you 150.00 or so..or better yet, now you have an excuse to buy a home mig welder and learn to weld..😃
Old September 15th, 2023, 08:59 AM
Administrator

The seat structure in itself is not a safety support item, the seat belts are. Bolting the inner brackets to the floor is not detrimental.
Old September 15th, 2023, 09:02 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The seat structure in itself is not a safety support item, the seat belts are. Bolting the inner brackets to the floor is not detrimental.
This is a structural fatigue issue. The thin sheet metal of the floor pan isn't thick enough to survive the fatigue loading every time you get in and out, or lean back, or whatever. Eventually the floorpan cracks around the drilled bolt holes. Ask me how I know...
Old September 15th, 2023, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
This is a structural fatigue issue. The thin sheet metal of the floor pan isn't thick enough to survive the fatigue loading every time you get in and out, or lean back, or whatever. Eventually the floorpan cracks around the drilled bolt holes. Ask me how I know...
I agree with you on that issue, and there are ways to prevent that from happening without having to weld in a mounting plate.
Old September 15th, 2023, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano

I have parted enough 70s-80s hot rods with buckets swapped from other cars to know this is very true. Thin sheet metal isn’t enough to hold the bolts, especially in the case of a rear end collision where the seat belts would be useless.
Old September 16th, 2023, 04:13 AM

The seat structure absolutely is a safety item. Not all collisions are from the front.
Old September 16th, 2023, 05:18 AM
Administrator

The seat structure absolutely is a safety item. Not all collisions are from the front.
Point out what safety features were built into low back bucket set frames from the 60's.
Old September 16th, 2023, 05:49 AM

Point out what safety features were built into low back bucket set frames from the 60's.
Sorry, I'm not going to argue with you.
Old September 16th, 2023, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Sorry, I'm not going to argue with you.
Because there are none, no arguments.
Old September 16th, 2023, 10:59 AM

Because there are none, no arguments.
No, it's because I don't want to get banned.
Old September 16th, 2023, 11:28 AM

Scat Pro Car bucket seat replacement over bench seat in the 64 F-85 build.