Cutlass parts - 66' Toronado

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2023, 06:55 AM

Cutlass parts - 66' Toronado

Good day all,

I'm in Canada and our parts access is quite expensive when we have to order things from the USA. The shipping costs are punishing to say the least. However, I have found a decent parts supplier here in Canada that has a really good selection of classic Cutlass parts. Now, I have a 66' Toronado and I'm wondering what parts would possibly interchange with a Cutlass? I'm just trying to save costs wherever I can so I'm exploring some options. For example, I ordered a replacement lower ball joint for my Toro from Fusick a couple months ago. They charged me 55 bucks U.S. for shipping and last week I received a lovely Fedex bill in the mail a month later for $115 in customs charges. That ball joint cost me well over 300 bucks for a $115 part.

Specifically, I'm thinking about engine parts. I am not 100% sure but many of the V8 parts were shared between engines on the various models correct? They show parts available for 1964-1972 in many cases. Anything else that would interchange I wonder (exhaust manifolds)? Also wondering about things like body mounts, suspension components, etc.

I am going to get busy cross referencing part numbers but wanted to check if anyone had any better info that I could use to get started. Thanks!

Last edited by ourkid2000; August 16th, 2023 at 07:23 AM.
Old August 16th, 2023, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by ourkid2000
Good day all,

I'm in Canada and our parts access is quite expensive when we have to order things from the USA. The shipping costs are punishing to say the least. However, I have found a decent parts supplier here in Canada that has a really good selection of classic Cutlass parts. Now, I have a 66' Toronado and I'm wondering what parts would possibly interchange with a Cutlass? I'm just trying to save costs wherever I can so I'm exploring some options. For example, I ordered a replacement lower ball joint for my Toro from Fusick a couple months ago. They charged me 55 bucks U.S. for shipping and last week I received a lovely Fedex bill in the mail a month later for $115 in customs charges. That ball joint cost me well over 300 bucks for a $115 part.

Specifically, I'm thinking about engine parts. I am not 100% sure but many of the V8 parts were shared between engines on the various models correct? They show parts available for 1964-1972 in many cases. Anything else that would interchange I wonder (exhaust manifolds)? Also wondering about things like body mounts, suspension components, etc.

I am going to get busy cross referencing part numbers but wanted to check if anyone had any better info that I could use to get started. Thanks!
I'm hoping the experts here will jump in to help, but I used to have a '69 Toro and there is very little, if anything in common between Toros and Cutlass suspension/body/chassis wise. While a lot of the engine parts are common, the Toro engine has a unique intake manifold, oil pan and I believe exhaust manifolds (not to mention unique carb tuning, distributor timing, cam, etc). There are probably differences in the accessory brackets too.
Old August 16th, 2023, 11:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Intake and exhaust manifolds, oil pan and pickup, motor mounts, starter, and some accessory brackets are all unique to the Toro.
Old August 16th, 2023, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Intake and exhaust manifolds, oil pan and pickup, motor mounts, starter, and some accessory brackets are all unique to the Toro.
Wow, the starter too huh? Sheesh.
Old August 16th, 2023, 12:14 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ourkid2000
Wow, the starter too huh? Sheesh.
Unlike all RWD Olds applications where the starter bolts to the driver side of the block, the Toro starter bolts to the trans, not the block, on the passenger side.This is because the transaxle runs along the driver side of the block and would have interfered with the normal starter location. The actual starter body is the same, but the nose is unique to the Toro application. You COULD use the starter and just swap the nose piece. I forgot to mention that because of the passenger side starter, the Toro oil filter adapter is unique to the FWD applications.
Old August 16th, 2023, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Unlike all RWD Olds applications where the starter bolts to the driver side of the block, the Toro starter bolts to the trans, not the block, on the passenger side.This is because the transaxle runs along the driver side of the block and would have interfered with the normal starter location. The actual starter body is the same, but the nose is unique to the Toro application. You COULD use the starter and just swap the nose piece. I forgot to mention that because of the passenger side starter, the Toro oil filter adapter is unique to the FWD applications.
That's very helpful, thanks Joe. At least I have an option if the starter packs it in. I'm all for swapping the nose piece if it saves having to special order parts from the US. Many of the parts on my Toro are the original 1966 parts and I'm just waiting for them to break.