Interior Gutted with questions

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2010, 06:13 AM

Well, my trip would be of the 3 national parks and the Peugot Sound area. My goal there would be to see the lighthouses, as many as possible. I already saw the southern attractions, like Mt St Helens and North Head and Grays Harbor. I would fly in and out of Seattle, but I do not really plan to do anything there other than perhaps a one day tour of the city. (Hmmm... a guided tour in a black Cutlass convertible would be way cool!!)

I have been wanting to do this for quite a while, but the Oregon coast always attracts me more (no planning or research required). Maybe in a year or two I will do the WA trip. I will look you up whenever I plan it out.

I still have dynamat to put in my doors - I do not look forward to that part. I have fears of that sicky stuff now...
Old February 22nd, 2010, 08:23 AM
Grown Azz Kid

Rob, Keep me posted on when you are scheduled to do the Seattle part and if you need anything. A Tour guide in a black convertible can be arranged depending on when you are here and the weather....What 3 Parks?..As to the lighthouses that has been somthing the wife has wanted to do as well and has not happened yet but the coast is nice...But the Oregon Coast is nicer. There is actually a real big cruise in Long Beach Wa that I am looking forward to attending.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 08:21 PM

i am definately going to the long beach cruise this year!! taked to my buddy that went last year...says is waaaaaaaaaaaayyy cool...
Old February 22nd, 2010, 08:43 PM
Grown Azz Kid

hey Shane, Not sure if you have this info but here is the link to the event

http://www.funbeach.com/events/cars/RodRun/index.html
Old February 24th, 2010, 07:58 AM
is Fast Enough ...

I drove around without a shifter ( after rug install ) and just turned the collar where the column shifter went ...

I'd let a valet look around for a second or ir two ...

Old February 24th, 2010, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Olds luvr
Rob, Keep me posted on when you are scheduled to do the Seattle part and if you need anything.
Will do!

A Tour guide in a black convertible can be arranged depending on when you are here and the weather....
WAY COOL!! I'll buy gas, beers, and burgers.

What 3 Parks?..
Mt Rainier, Olympic, and maybe the North cascades if there is time. Two weeks may not be enough time.

As to the lighthouses that has been somthing the wife has wanted to do as well and has not happened yet but the coast is nice...But the Oregon Coast is nicer.
I plan to see them all up there, so 2 weeks may not be enough. I need to figure out some boat trips to take, so i can see the ones that you cannot see from land.
Of course I was able to see over 50 lighthouses in Maine and Boston area in just 9 days, so there might be time for all....
Old February 24th, 2010, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Of course I was able to see over 50 lighthouses in Maine and Boston area in just 9 days, so there might be time for all....

Wow,

If it's Tuesday, I must be at Avery Rock.
Old February 24th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Grown Azz Kid

Rob, there are a couple very cool drive in burger places here like Dick's ( I know I know) http://www.ddir.com/About_Us.html that we can grab food at. No need to buy gas and we will find another location for beer....Unless you want a burger and beer then we will have to go to a place other than a drive in. There are some pubs with great food. Are you headed up here by yourself?

Last edited by Olds luvr; February 24th, 2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old February 24th, 2010, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Wow,

If it's Tuesday, I must be at Avery Rock.
It was like that but in a much grander scale...
Below is a four day section cut from of my preplanned Maine itinerary...

Mapping it out on paper was fun but it worked out great. No tour service or GPS would ever do something like this. Even my family and neighbors shook ther heads when they saw this. "D*** engineer" they would say...

Rob, there are a couple very cool drive in burger places here like Dick's ( I know I know) http://www.ddir.com/About_Us.html that we can grab food at. No need to buy gas and we will find another location for beer....Unless you want a burger and beer then we will have to go to a place other than a drive in. There are some pubs with great food. Are you headed up here by yourself?
Drive ins are preferred - only Sonics here in my area. Beers can be had elsewhere.
Most likely i would come alone, but it is possible that GF Alice comes with me. In fact she works with a seattle based company and has to travel there sometimes. If she has to go, we might go together - not sure how that will work. Just thought about it all a few days ago...
WA only has 30 lighthouses, so maybe I should work up a plan like the one above!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
maine-vac.jpg (140.9 KB, 449 views)
Old February 24th, 2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Will do!

Mt Rainier, Olympic, and maybe the North cascades if there is time. Two weeks may not be enough time.

I plan to see them all up there, so 2 weeks may not be enough. I need to figure out some boat trips to take, so i can see the ones that you cannot see from land.

If you let me know as well we can make it and all Oldsmobile esperience. I will show up with my 57 too
Old February 24th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Grown Azz Kid

Love the idea Citcapp...I know when I posted that I bought it I would bring it to the office in Bothell but what better way to welcome an olds guy then a drive in full of some Olds...
Old February 24th, 2010, 11:22 AM

WOW!! If there are enough Olds guys up that way, there will be no need for a crappy new, boring rental car! I'd prefer to pay the rental charges to the Olds guys and travel in style and support a good cause! Wouldn't that make for a great vacation! (I know, but its fun to dream...)
Regardless, it would be way cool to meet up with some of you northwestern Olds guys!
Old February 24th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Grown Azz Kid

Well when is the trip?

make a new thread and lets see what we can do. I know there are a few of us up here. I know depending on the timing of the trip I am up to showing you around and what not. Just let me know when as my Son plays select baseball and we have tournements all over the place so as much notice would be great.

Maybe even a better idea is rent an olds or 2 to tour in
Old February 24th, 2010, 11:46 AM

Well when is the trip?

make a new thread and lets see what we can do. I know there are a few of us up here. I know depending on the timing of the trip I am up to showing you around and what not. Just let me know when as my Son plays select baseball and we have tournements all over the place so as much notice would be great.

Maybe even a better idea is rent an olds or 2 to tour in
Not sure when, but maybe May or June? Oregon will probably be done in Oct. again (as usual...)
I will sure start a new thread when i get my ducks in a row. I typically book trips 2 months in advance, so there will be no short warnings. As soon and the air ticket is bought I will announce it. Then the planning begins! If you can show me around Seattle or something, i can take you (and wife and kids, too) on a nearby lighthouse adventure - lots are around there.
What other big city does seattle resemble? Dangerous to drive like dallas and san fran? I heard seattle is pretty nice.
What is the weather like there in early to mid May? That is what I am thinking...
Old February 24th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Rob, I am not sure what city Seattle is like since I have not traveled much. Traffic sucks but the city has lots to offer from the outdoor market to water and mountains, nightlife and the Le Mays auto meusem that is one of the largest personal collections around . The weather should be pretty good but you never know here so you may get a little wet. The wife and kids are allways up for outdoor adventures so we may take you up on the lighthouse adventure.

As to Dangerous...In what way? It has it's areas to avoid but there are no sights to see there

When you have the potential dates and your schedule I am sure we can put together somthing and will have no issues (other than schedules) with showing you around and helping out. Also feel free to message me with locations of hotels or what not and I can give you opinions and options. There is lots to do at Rainier and is a great day type trip with hiking and all that good stuff.
Old February 25th, 2010, 09:02 PM

well if its in may the weather may be nice we could have a cruise to the mountain or something!!
Old February 26th, 2010, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by leadfoot067
well if its in may the weather may be nice we could have a cruise to the mountain or something!!
Mt Rainier or baker perhaps?? Boy that would sure make the trip, cruising in an Olds!

I'm in the trip planning process....
Old February 26th, 2010, 07:29 AM

paradise on mt rainier is only about an hour from me..
Old February 26th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Grown Azz Kid

Well, we could have oldsmobiles in paradise Or even oldsmobiles on top of the mountain
Old February 26th, 2010, 07:35 PM

just think of the photo ops....
Old February 27th, 2010, 06:14 AM

Didnt know if you figured your column problem out but you are probably missing part #2 or part #10 - or both

columnshift.jpg

That assy needs to connect to the bottom of your column at the firewall.

HPIM2218.jpg

I did a complete resto of a tilt column and pics are in the album

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...le/tiltcolumn/

All 68-72 are nearly identical and would swap in. I dont say exactly because something like ignition or neutral safety might be slightly different but the swap would work.
Old February 27th, 2010, 06:35 AM

Well, we could have oldsmobiles in paradise Or even oldsmobiles on top of the mountain
Originally Posted by leadfoot067
just think of the photo ops....
Yea, it will be beautiful there - I've seen some pictures my mom took when she went a few years back and I am getting more eager to go myself...
I got a new camera, so i need to break it in. This looks like good area to do just that.
I just found out that some of the roads in Mt Rainier Nat'l Park do not open til June, so I am having to rethink the timing of the trip.
I would like to cruise the entire perimeter of that park to see the mountains from different directions.
Just imagine - a caravan of Oldsmobiles! Recon it's possible?
It would be even better than the time I drove Lady through the Blue Ridge and Smokey mountains!
Old February 28th, 2010, 09:34 AM

you still need on of these?
026-2.jpg
Old March 1st, 2010, 07:54 AM
Grown Azz Kid

Boldsmobile, Thank you for the reply. I ended up buying a correct column so know I just need to get it in and see what else is needed to get the lockout to work.

Shane, Is that the one from the 455? Pm me on it. Are you going to have the 455 in yours by summer?
Old March 1st, 2010, 12:52 PM

its on the 350 in the car now...its a 72 motor and it had AC,the 455 will go in mine in a couple weeks...
Old March 7th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Grown Azz Kid

More Updates

Well I saw Rob was back at work so I better get at it too

Pulled the windshield to paint the rest of the dash and ofcourse the windshield broke.I finished pulling the harness to rewrap it and do a couple repairs. I got the column out to put in the new correct column but ran into issues there as well. Pulled the hood to paint the hinges and put in new low tension hood springs. Funny how more things keep get added to the project list
Attached Images
PICT0081.JPG (174.0 KB, 40 views)
PICT0082.JPG (158.2 KB, 46 views)
PICT0083.JPG (154.9 KB, 37 views)
PICT0092.jpg (53.0 KB, 36 views)
PICT0093.JPG (158.0 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Olds luvr; March 7th, 2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old March 7th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Here are pictures of the replacement column and running into issues removing the lock cylinder. Is the release tab for the lock in the attached picture 4 where te screw driver is or in picture 5? Also do you have to have the key to get the cylinder out? What are the tricks here as the frustrastion was setting in and the drill and torch wanted to come play
Attached Images
PICT0084.jpg (46.1 KB, 33 views)
PICT0085.JPG (158.7 KB, 32 views)
PICT0087.JPG (147.0 KB, 64 views)
PICT0088.JPG (149.2 KB, 63 views)
PICT0089.JPG (167.5 KB, 51 views)
Old March 7th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Few more pictures. picture 1 are some plates i will try to resore that are correct year issued and not too bad of shape. picture 2 is the painted and greased rails that need more paint and still sorta hard to slide. 3 is a picture of the parts including the dash with new bead molding. 4 are the painted bucket seat frames ready to be assembled and 5 is the new radio in the 8track style housing to mount under the dash....more to come...
Attached Images
PICT0094.JPG (171.4 KB, 18 views)
PICT0096.JPG (146.9 KB, 26 views)
PICT0097.JPG (149.5 KB, 41 views)
PICT0101.JPG (155.1 KB, 31 views)
PICT0100.JPG (164.2 KB, 56 views)
Old March 8th, 2010, 09:51 AM

Easy as one, two, three!

Here is the way to pull the lock cyl in 1972.
It says insert the key and turn to "run", insert long screwdriver into hole shown, and pull lock cyl out.

Sorry to hear about the busted windshield... I heard they are not too costly. If yours was a high mileage original with sand abrasions like mine, replacing would be a good thing.
Glad you did not have any lower windshield rust!
Attached Images
IMG_1296.jpg (52.2 KB, 405 views)
Old March 8th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Grown Azz Kid

Maybe the column I have is wrong, I looked in the manual and saw that but i do not have that slot. If you look at the pictures there are 4 screws not 3. Maybe the slot is there just not fully pushed out? I also heard on the 69 and up that you do not need the key or have it in the run position. Hope that is right as I need the lock out and can not get the key in the lock...
Old March 8th, 2010, 10:29 AM

Bummer... I looked at the non tilt 72 column and it had the same instructions, just a different hole location. The 69 is a different design - sorry I could not shed much light on it.

See if this gives any help:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...lumn-woes.html

It also contradicts what the FM says...
Old March 8th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Grown Azz Kid

No Problem....The problem is the thread is too long so not sure anyone is following to chime in...
Old March 16th, 2010, 07:19 PM

you might have to use a dent puller.First you have to break that hardened insert out then the dent puller screw will go right in.slide the weight on the puller and the lock cylinder should pop right out. Hope this helps.
Old March 16th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Update

lock is out..Had to remove the flashing to get to the tang. A lil WD and it slid right out

After getting the broken windshield out and the tar like stuff that they attempted to seal the windshield with (that did not work well but caused a big mess) I noticed a bit of rust at the top of the channel where the clips are but the bottom and cowl are great shape

New order went in today for clips, screw kit, cowl seal and cowl grill. I also found aguy that put a complete kit of all light bulbs needed for the car minus the head lights. So along with new fuses, repaired the 2 wires that were cut and the harness retaped the car will have all brand new bulbs as well. I had bought all the bulbs at NAPA for over $and got this kit for around $40

I am going to take the heater box out and clean it up so i do not blow dirt all over when it is assebbled. This means i have to pull the AC unit to get it out and will leave the whole AC out to go through it later and drive without it
Attached Images
PICT0138.JPG (154.0 KB, 27 views)
PICT0139.JPG (167.9 KB, 27 views)
PICT0140.jpg (48.9 KB, 35 views)
PICT0141.JPG (161.5 KB, 39 views)
PICT0143.JPG (158.5 KB, 45 views)
Old March 17th, 2010, 05:32 AM

Glad the cancerous rust has been minimal - a little POR15 will fix up that little bit.
Did you figure out what column you have?
Let me know how the A/C puling goes - perhaps do a separate thread for it.
I will have to go that in a couple years as I want the whole system restored.
Heck, in your area you don't even need A/C...
Old March 17th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Grown Azz Kid

Rob, That is a good idea about a seperate thread for the AC. I have been lucky as there is really no real rust and for it living in Indiana it's whole life she had to have been sheltered. I am not sure of the column, it is the same almost but I am going to guess chebby as the turn lever has an all black **** and is shorter than the olds but no big deal as they appear to be the same. If I would not have read about the flashing from the cast I would have destroyed that lock

I agree that most of the time AC is not needed here. I looked at a few cars that did not have AC and really wanted one that did just to have it. Last summer there were a few days that hit 100 and if I was sitting in traffic I would have needed it

From my understanding you have to unbolt the AC housing on the firewall in the engine bay to get the heater box out from under the dash....Is that true? If so then the whole system will get pulled and restored and if that is not the case I may leave it in for now as this is further then I wanted to go but the question is allways where to stop and I am drawing a firm line at the firewall even though I want to yank the motor and trans as well as the suspension but that will be starting around October....For now I want to finish and get her back on the road so you have a reason to visit Seattle besides the mountains
Old March 17th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Ben

I drove my 66 to work nearly every day of our freakish nice weather last summer... remember a few of those 100 degree days- a little uncomfortable, but not too horrible. Of course 66's have Vent windows, so that helps some too
Old March 17th, 2010, 10:24 AM

From my understanding you have to unbolt the AC housing on the firewall in the engine bay to get the heater box out from under the dash....Is that true?
I am thinking that is correct, but I would need to consult the FSM to be sure. The outside unit would be a pain. It would be easier with no motor in the way. Fender will need to be loosened, hopefully not removed.

For now I want to finish and get her back on the road so you have a reason to visit Seattle besides the mountains
Good reasoning.
I want to see mountains from the back seat of an Olds convertible.
An Olds convoy would be even better!
Old March 17th, 2010, 10:59 AM

beautiful car

I hope you don't mind but I am going to use your picture as inspiration for my 66 442 which is a color close to yours. Sweet ride I hope my car looks as good as yours' after the paint job, be very proud, you must get a lot a of attention while cruising.
Bum
Old April 1st, 2010, 07:38 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Here are the pictures of the back seat back from the upholstry shop. I had the rears done because of them needing to cut the foam. The guy I use was great. Has been doing this for a long time and had other muscle cars in the shop. Mid density foam was used under the covers I removed from the frames as they were recently bought by the PO before I bought the car. Seat frames were blasted and painted.

The fronts I will restretch my covers over the new seat buns I ordered and the Burlap I bought from a local chain fabric store
Attached Images
PICT0150.JPG (160.2 KB, 26 views)
PICT0151.JPG (177.9 KB, 21 views)
PICT0152.JPG (171.6 KB, 20 views)

Quick Reply: Interior Gutted with questions