Interior Gutted with questions

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2010, 07:43 PM
Grown Azz Kid

updates on column. I found a tilt from a 72 skylark I believe and will be using all of the upper internals to repair the black floor shift tilt that I bought that has issues. It had the lock punched out and when they did that the casting fractured where the lock tang goes. I am going to use the blue color on the black one and have the column all painted and have a floor shift tilt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PICT0153.JPG (160.7 KB, 12 views)
PICT0154.JPG (162.6 KB, 21 views)
PICT0155.JPG (143.1 KB, 18 views)
Old April 1st, 2010, 07:49 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Here are some pictures of the windshield channel cleaned and ready to be painted. the floor dash and everything will be painted.
Attached Images
PICT0156.jpg (47.3 KB, 25 views)
PICT0157.JPG (162.4 KB, 37 views)
PICT0158.jpg (33.5 KB, 22 views)
PICT0159.jpg (46.8 KB, 20 views)
Old April 1st, 2010, 07:52 PM
Grown Azz Kid

here are some pictures of the doors with the locks out and the door handles off. Ready to have the new chrome and locks installed
Attached Images
PICT0160.jpg (34.0 KB, 19 views)
PICT0161.JPG (161.2 KB, 24 views)
Old April 1st, 2010, 08:29 PM

nice work!!! whos doin the windshield?
Old April 1st, 2010, 08:37 PM
Grown Azz Kid

my wifes uncle will do the windshield...He does restorations and been in the body hop world for a long time. He is the one keeping me on track
Old April 2nd, 2010, 05:38 AM

Great progress - keep it up! Back seat looks brand new...
It is good to know others who can help out like that.
Did you get the rubber gaskets for under the locks and handles?

When you painted all your interior parts, did you use a spray gun or rattle can?
Old April 2nd, 2010, 08:52 AM
Grown Azz Kid

Thanks guys, I do have the gaskets for the locks and door handles. When the Po had painted the car they just put the old parts back on minus the gaskets so it is good that is all getting redone.

As to the painting of the interior I was going to rattle can it but again wifes uncle stepped in and said as long as they are prepped and laid out he was willing to come over with one of his guns and shoot all the components. We still need to shoot the headrests, under column cover, door jamb vents, header bow molding, AC lower vent valance (and trim it to fit the stereo console as seen in one of the pictures earlier in the thread) along with the cowl, windshield channel metal dash floors and interior. The floors will be re-seam sealed as all of the old seam sealer is removed

Still prep work to be done before we are ready to do that and need to get the heater/ac box off of the firewall to replace the insulation and paint without having to tape off the box. not to mention when the car is all put back together I do not want all the dust trapped in the box to blow all over the fresh interior.

Still have a few parts to order, get the column done, clean up the under dash harness and swap the wires for the ralley pac, correct the wiring to add in the electronic trunk release and have it look clean

i will post some pics of the glove box door and the lower dash as i took a silver paint pen to redo the outlining that was faded...not show quality but came out prettty nice and gives it a look other than faded/gone silver chrome that was black in most places.

So along with the clean up and dying the interior panels that were not replaced the car has upgrades that include ralley pac, tilt column and electronic trunk release...Not bad since I just got the car in Late November. I will post a complete list of all the work that was done and what was replaced at the end of this chapter...Still shooting for 4-6 weeks to completion

More to come this weekend hopefully....

Last edited by Olds luvr; April 2nd, 2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 10:20 AM

When you get a chance, please post some details of the interior painting - what type of paint, gun, psi, regulator setting, etc.
I could only get interior paint in a can, so i am forced to learn non-rattle-can spray painting. I plan to buy a cheapo gun for this from harbor freight for a one-time-use. Not a good thought for paint that costs 55 bucks a pint!
Old April 2nd, 2010, 11:48 AM
Grown Azz Kid

Rob,

The guy that painted the parts for me is very good and used a high quality gun/tip from a Germany company as the SEM paint is so thin. When I decided to do mine I bought the SEM in the rattle can and then returned it and bought a pint when he said he would paint them as the fear was not getting the right coverage in the rattle. There have been people that have had a good outcome with the rattle can but he just wanted to make sure they outcome was good for me and also will be a test for when he does is challenger convertible. I believe the pint was around $70-80 but not sure.
We had the garage all tapped off and the car outside. the garage was warmed with a garage heater to bring the temp up. and ready to paint. All the parts were cleaned and scrubbed with hot water and dawn dish soap, then soaked again in just hot water, then rinsed in hot water, cleaned again with the SEM Prep, sprayed with the Sand Free by SEM and then painted with 3 very fine coats to prevent drips and runs.
Old May 17th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Updates

Well here are some updates...Here is my daughter vaccuming before we painted the dash and the floors. There are a couple of the dash painted. We sealed the floors and just used the rest of the paint that was used for the dash
Attached Images
PICT0235.JPG (159.7 KB, 37 views)
PICT0237.JPG (155.6 KB, 45 views)
PICT0241.jpg (42.6 KB, 58 views)
PICT0251.JPG (149.8 KB, 39 views)
PICT0252.jpg (38.2 KB, 37 views)
Old May 17th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Few Morepictures of the interior painted. Again the focus on the dash that is why the duller paint on the floor and panels. does not look great but was not supposed to be. The last picture is of the cleaned vaccuum lines as they were hard to tell what color the stripes were. A little grease and wax remomover and they are good as new
Attached Images
PICT0253.JPG (149.5 KB, 42 views)
PICT0254.JPG (153.8 KB, 44 views)
PICT0255.JPG (152.9 KB, 39 views)
PICT0256.JPG (147.5 KB, 49 views)
PICT0257.JPG (165.6 KB, 36 views)
Old May 17th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Grown Azz Kid

And more pictures. I laid the sound deadener, used 3M spray to hold the glue and then used the heat gun to mold the tar paper like sound deadener to the floor. Needed to make a few repairs to the floor harness and just set the carpet in to use as padding
Attached Images
PICT0258.JPG (160.4 KB, 47 views)
PICT0259.JPG (162.0 KB, 49 views)
PICT0260.JPG (166.1 KB, 37 views)
PICT0261.JPG (166.8 KB, 42 views)
Old May 17th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Here are some pictures of the few parts I had left to shoot with the SEM dye. Since my headrests were in good shape I just put a little color and them and freshedned up the other parts. Including the new seat aprons as the old ones wre starting to deteriate and were not as nice as i would have liked them. I redid the retractors and seat belt buckles even though they will not get used but will be up for sale.

I am making the Fasten Seat belt on the top of the dash work and need to buy new retractors and am just buying all of the belts to match. Then I will do this same process on the new retractors and buckles
Attached Images
PICT0300.JPG (150.8 KB, 31 views)
PICT0301.JPG (150.1 KB, 29 views)
PICT0302.JPG (152.9 KB, 28 views)
PICT0306.JPG (156.2 KB, 34 views)
PICT0307.JPG (157.2 KB, 33 views)
Old May 17th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Grown Azz Kid

First picture is of my fasten seat belt lamp cover.

The next 3 pictures are not for the faint I love music and great sound but like the look of things that are not out in the open and standing out, like amps. I have my 5 channel amp inside of the top rear seat. Out of sight and out of mind. There is plenty of room for the amp to breathe and is fan cooled. I will also add another fan just to be safe. Added some serious weight but will be used to power my kick panel components speakers as well as the 2 4" round speakers that will be mounted in the dash in place of the stock speaker. All of the wires are quick release to make installing the seat easier and what not. With it all lomed it will not be noticed and make longer drives with the wife and kids that much better. Plus no amp in the trunk will keep it clean
Attached Images
PICT0309.JPG (166.2 KB, 31 views)
PICT0299.JPG (160.3 KB, 40 views)
PICT0310.JPG (153.3 KB, 35 views)
PICT0311.jpg (53.8 KB, 39 views)
Old May 17th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Crossovers in the dash will be used for the component speakers to make sure the mid drivers only get mids and the treats only tweet and will not allow low bass. the amp has a 5th channel for a sub and will come into play later... The last picture is of one of the dogs that snuck into the garage
Attached Images
PICT0312.JPG (147.3 KB, 49 views)
PICT0314.JPG (159.4 KB, 47 views)
PICT0297.JPG (139.7 KB, 38 views)
Old May 17th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Grown Azz Kid

So now that all the parts are ready it is just time to reassemble everything.

One question I have is on the column. You can see in the picture below the inside of the cover has a lot of corrision. I was able to get the 3 screws out but can not get the cover off as it appears that the lock pin is stuck in the cover. I believe the cover should just slide off but is not doing so. I bought this blue column for parts as the black one I had was missing parts and has a crack in the cover.

Any ideas in getting the cover off? Has anyone seen this corision in a column?
Attached Images
PICT0154.JPG (162.6 KB, 22 views)
Old May 18th, 2010, 09:31 AM

Great progress! Glad to see you have a daughter who enjoys helping out.
I remember doing all that vacuuming, too.
What did you paint the floor with?

You did miss out on all the fun and blood and sweat that occures with dynamat - shame on you. Nothing enhances the "mechanic" language like installing that stuff on a warm day...

The old amp-in-the-back-seat trick!
Crank it up loud in the winter and you will have a back seat heater if you sit in the middle...
Have you tried sitting on the seat to make sure you have enough clearance?
Mine is under the front seat and space was very tight!

The column corrosion looks nasty, as if the car it was in was left out in the weather and water got into it. Or maybe it was stored in an area with oxidizing chemicals.

Keep it up! Hopefully you will have it ready to cruise in one year when I visit up there...
Old May 18th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Grown Azz Kid

Well Rob, the goal is to have the car done by my B-day (6-1) so it is getting tight. I painted the floors with the same laquer that was used for the dash per the paint code. it is a textured finish and since I bought it for the dash instead of it going to waste we sprayed the floors with it after sealing them and then primer. The dash came out great. just like it should habe and glad PPG still has the correct laquer for it like factory

On the column If all else fails I have a different column to put in until I get the tilt one built. Am I correct that the cover slides off once the 3 screws are off? Any ideas on how to break it loose without damage to the cover?

On the seat yes, sat on the seat and no isses with clearance. No one sits back there besides the kids so should not be an issue.

Are you not comming up this way this summer as planned?
Old May 18th, 2010, 11:54 AM

Hope you get it done - that is only a couple weeks away!

Not sure about how to take apart the column - I would need to consult the FM...

I am planning for a WA visit next year around this time. Had too much going on this spring.
However, my mom will be there in WA in a few days while she is visiting Oregon. Hey - I should have told her to take her sewing basket so she could do your door pull straps!!!
Old May 18th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Rob, That is funny...I would not have her bring her basket. She may not make it past security at the airport. I may send my straps down though

You are right it is only a few weeks but, the good news is it is only assembly work so I am hoping it works out. Most of the longer stuff is behind me and think I will just put a column in and do the tilt and the quick ratio gear box at another point. As long as it is driving, running and working as it should be I am ok with that. Because as we all know they really never are "done"
Old May 18th, 2010, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Olds luvr
Well Rob, the goal is to have the car done by my B-day (6-1)
Looking good

My sons B-day is 6-1, not far away. Done??? Then you answered yourself....

Because as we all know they really never are "done"
I've got mine done enough to drive, some things will just have to wait til fall.
Old May 18th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Tonights work

Well tonight I got the rear assembled and all my wires ran and hid including the wire for the power trunk release. The amp wires that were already ran and just had to plug them in because of the quick releases worked great and made for an easier install. I ordered a new interior screw kit as well so I do not have to chase down to many screws. Although the screws for the rear panels do not have the gromets but oh well. The new window cranks and clips are in with the black handles over the clear. Although not original I like the look against the black interior.

doing the back tonight gives a false sense of completion as the work is in the dash but sometimes you need to see progress

We Jeep In,

I've got mine done enough to drive, some things will just have to wait til fall.
My sons B-day is 6-1
How old will he be? I have not too many people with a June 1st B-day

I know what you mean about drivable and the rest in the fall I will more than likley put my old column back in and wait on the tilt and the quick ratio box to make sure the car is back on the road by 6/1
Attached Images
PICT0315.JPG (162.2 KB, 35 views)
PICT0316.JPG (157.6 KB, 33 views)
PICT0317.JPG (165.4 KB, 35 views)
PICT0318.JPG (164.5 KB, 53 views)
Old May 19th, 2010, 04:24 AM

We Jeep In,

How old will he be? I have not too many people with a June 1st B-day

I know what you mean about drivable and the rest in the fall I will more than likley put my old column back in and wait on the tilt and the quick ratio box to make sure the car is back on the road by 6/1
He will be 3.

Thanks for the pics, looking at them takes me back to where I was not long ago.

Keep up the pace and you'll be driving in no time....
Old May 31st, 2010, 08:38 PM
Grown Azz Kid

New Updates

Well, Good and bad news. i wanted the car done by tomorrow and that is not happening. The good news is a lot of hours this weekend got me closer. It seemed that for every step forward there were 2 backwards and a lot of rework. here are some pictures.

here are the dyed kick panels with the speakers and tweets installed and jute padding.

The metal dash with the plastic grills and cowl seal. Although the screens are not the same as the original stle and nor sure if I like them.

The doors panels were a pain as even though the PO had just put them on they were not right so had to make them fit right and rebuild the window guides as the windows sonded like fingernails on a chalkborad when you roll them up and down and the weatherstripping hols in the doors had some holes painted over
Attached Images
PICT0319.jpg (32.4 KB, 62 views)
PICT0320.JPG (164.0 KB, 57 views)
PICT0321.jpg (41.6 KB, 54 views)
PICT0335.JPG (153.9 KB, 51 views)
PICT0336.JPG (155.1 KB, 53 views)
Old May 31st, 2010, 08:45 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Here are more pictures. 2 and 3 are of the 2 3.5" infinity speakers in the factory location. I found a plate that converted the 4x10 to a spot for the 2 3.5's. and fit good althouth I needed to make brackets to fit where the factory speaker screwed to on the ends. pictures 4 and 5 are of the install of the dash light. I can tell you that if anyone is going to add this BE CAREFUL as it is VERY precise with the measurements and there is NO room for error. Make sure to use the factory assembly manuls measurements. I have seen some on here with drawings for the holes and if you use those you will be SCREWED.... as they do not line up but the manuals are great and again precise. I had to use calipers to assure this was done right with several trials before cutting into the dash pad
Attached Images
PICT0337.JPG (163.9 KB, 27 views)
PICT0338.JPG (170.8 KB, 47 views)
PICT0339.JPG (156.9 KB, 57 views)
PICT0340.JPG (191.5 KB, 44 views)
PICT0342.JPG (186.1 KB, 42 views)
Old May 31st, 2010, 08:49 PM
Grown Azz Kid

More Updates.

Picture 1 is the measurements from the manual be sure to use them unless you want to buy a new dash. The others are the holes and measurements to follow for the install. I will say it came out good and was a bit scarry but after test fitting and test cutting other materials to make sure it turned out great
Attached Images
PICT0343.JPG (142.5 KB, 19 views)
PICT0344.JPG (167.9 KB, 17 views)
PICT0345.JPG (197.5 KB, 16 views)
PICT0349.JPG (180.8 KB, 15 views)
PICT0351.JPG (167.2 KB, 18 views)
Old May 31st, 2010, 08:53 PM
Grown Azz Kid

here are some of the the dash with the holes cut and the dash light in place.

The last 2 are of the dash vents getting redone as well. Dyed them with the SEM and outlined with the silver sharpie...decent but not like new...
Attached Images
PICT0352.JPG (165.1 KB, 28 views)
PICT0353.JPG (148.5 KB, 50 views)
PICT0354.JPG (151.0 KB, 33 views)
PICT0355.JPG (149.6 KB, 26 views)
PICT0356.JPG (174.9 KB, 34 views)
Old May 31st, 2010, 09:00 PM
Grown Azz Kid

More pictures of the progress. 1 and 2 are of the vents and tubbing. more cleaning then more SEM to make them all match the rest of the parts. the fabric looked better dyed then the nasty brown. After cleaning, blowing them out and dying they look pretty good.

Picture 4 has the dash light all installed. Rear seats went in with added rear retractors and redone buckles. the belys really look great and were a great find (thanks 2blu442) as john provided me with belts, retractors and the dash light for the fasten seat belts.
Attached Images
PICT0357.JPG (166.5 KB, 28 views)
PICT0358.jpg (46.1 KB, 27 views)
PICT0359.JPG (166.2 KB, 26 views)
PICT0360.JPG (156.8 KB, 41 views)
PICT0361.JPG (156.7 KB, 35 views)
Old May 31st, 2010, 09:06 PM
Grown Azz Kid

More pictures of the dash vents and the seat belt buckles. in 3 and 4 are pictures of the dash light installed on the back of the dash. last picture is of the dash in, not plugged in or anything but now it is time to put all the gauges in and make sure all of the lights and everything works before bolting the dash in place.

All thats left is windshield, hood, front seats and belts and she should be good to go.....Shooting for 1 week but we shall see
Attached Images
PICT0362.JPG (165.5 KB, 20 views)
PICT0363.JPG (139.8 KB, 34 views)
PICT0365.JPG (160.5 KB, 32 views)
PICT0366.JPG (160.7 KB, 33 views)
PICT0367.JPG (162.6 KB, 64 views)
Old June 1st, 2010, 05:53 AM

Looks great - now hope you will be cruising in a couple weeks and enjoy your cool summer!
It looks like my cruising season is coming to an end - 100*+ towards the end of the week...
Old June 1st, 2010, 09:44 AM
Grown Azz Kid

Wow, you guys have sun this time of year? the only reason I am ok with the car not being done is the weather sucks and still cloudy and rainy....I guess summer will start when the car is done...
Old June 1st, 2010, 12:30 PM

Wow, you guys have sun this time of year? the only reason I am ok with the car not being done is the weather sucks and still cloudy and rainy....I guess summer will start when the car is done...
I wish I could trade weather with ya... Our summers are usually horrible.
Old June 6th, 2010, 05:19 PM

sound deadner

And more pictures. I laid the sound deadener, used 3M spray to hold the glue and then used the heat gun to mold the tar paper like sound deadener to the floor. Needed to make a few repairs to the floor harness and just set the carpet in to use as padding
What are you using for sound deadner? I have order mine from Fusick and while it is still in the box it appears to be heavy rubber? Did you lay some foil over it I thought I saw that in earlier pictures? may hav e been someone elses thread...
Old June 7th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Grown Azz Kid

Richey, That was another thread. There have been guys that have used dynamat and other sound deadeners that are the foil cover trype. Mine are more of a heavy rubber/tar paper type. I think the others may be a better product but are more expensive and some would say a pain in the a$$ to deal with. I heated mine up with a heat gun so the form to the curves and it worked out great with the 3m spray. Not very messy at all and I think it looks good in black and more of an OEM type of look.

Good luck with yours and lay it all out to test fit. In addition I believe the floor harness was ran under the deadener from the factory but I wanted to keep my wires on top just in case I have to trace somthing.
Old June 7th, 2010, 08:37 AM

and some would say a pain in the a$$ to deal with.
You can say that again...
Old June 7th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Clueless Mechanic

Awesome Job wish I had that kind of time
Old June 7th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Grown Azz Kid

Thanks, I do not have as much time as I would like but I am hoping to have it done as I am getting pretty close....Let's Hope sunday evening it is on the road...fingers crossed
Old June 7th, 2010, 12:02 PM

Richey, That was another thread. There have been guys that have used dynamat and other sound deadeners that are the foil cover trype. Mine are more of a heavy rubber/tar paper type. I think the others may be a better product but are more expensive and some would say a pain in the a$$ to deal with. I heated mine up with a heat gun so the form to the curves and it worked out great with the 3m spray. Not very messy at all and I think it looks good in black and more of an OEM type of look.

Good luck with yours and lay it all out to test fit. In addition I believe the floor harness was ran under the deadener from the factory but I wanted to keep my wires on top just in case I have to trace somthing.
Thanks, I'm committed and will take your advice.... Congrats your lady looks like she's coming out great, goign to be a real beauty...
Old June 9th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Grown Azz Kid

Well here is a little setback and a reason to know your parts So when I bought my tilt column knowing it needed some work the guy said it was from a 71 cutlass....Turns out know that I have all this labor into the 2 tilt columns to make one good floor tilt I find out that the column was out of a 73-76....Not the end but now I get to tare down both columns to replace the lock out arm at the bottom of the column. To get the car back on the road the old column will go in the car and worry about the tilt column later...Bottom line is people are not so fourth comming with info when they sell things
Old June 14th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Grown Azz Kid

New updates, windshield is in so is the dash and consoles
Attached Images
PICT0375.JPG (159.5 KB, 24 views)
PICT0376.JPG (158.8 KB, 28 views)
PICT0377.JPG (148.1 KB, 22 views)
PICT0378.JPG (158.2 KB, 21 views)