not downshifting properly

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2006, 10:47 AM

not downshifting properly

Hello, I have a cutlass 350 4 bbl. I believe it has the original TH350 transmission. The transmission works well, although it sometimes takes a while for it to warm up and get into gear first thing in the morning. Anyway, when driving the car, it shifts upwards nicely. But when I want some power to pass, I fully depress the gas pedal and the car does not downshift. My current mechanic attached what he called the detent cable from the carburator down to the transmission, but it still does not downshift. Looking at the manual, the cable should run from the pedal to the transmission(?)? But it seems like the way he has it set up on the new EDELBROCK carb, it should work as well...??

Help. how can I find a transmission place that will know exactly how to set up the car properly? and / or should I just tighten the cable so that when depressing the pedal and the carburator linkage moves, it will pull enough to downshift? I am afraid to do this in case its effect can do some damage to the transmission...

Thanks again.
Old March 12th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

JCCC,

What year is your Cutlass? Where are you?

You are correct that the cable goes to your accelerator pedal. Just call around to transmission shops. I'd look for an independant, old timer. These "young whippersnappers" don't know the good old stuff!

C.J.
Old March 12th, 2006, 05:42 PM

I have a 71 cutlass with a 350 4 bbl and it is a convertible as well. I am installing dual exhausts on it soon and am also considering putting headers on it as I do the dual exhaust but I don't have to have a totally tricked out car.... Still undecided. But, after I get the carburator and transmission working right, the car will be in pretty good working order. Then I start on the cosmetics. Thanks for the info on the transmission work. I will just start calling around to see if anyone has some actual experience! Guess it can't be a "do it yourself" type of thing. Thanks.
Old March 12th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

It COULD be a do-it yourself, but it'd be something that someone would need to guide you through. Can't really explain on this type of forum.

Get a Fisher Body Manual, Chassis Service Manual, and Assembly Manual. Worth their weight in gold!

C.J.
Old March 14th, 2006, 12:11 AM

Assembly Manual

Going on a tangent from what you said texasred:

What sort of information do you find in the assembly manual that makes it worth it's weight in gold? I've never looked at one to know what I'm missing. I was delighted that my car came with a service manual, and felt like it was all I really needed.
Old May 24th, 2006, 10:24 PM

Yeah I think it's called the kickdown something..

Get your hands on all the manuals you can. Some of them are great in some areas but weak in other places. If something isn't making sense just check out another. It's fairly common for wiring schematics to be messed up and not make sense or for a step to be left out. I don't have anything other than an ancient book that covers all cars years 1976 - 2979 for my car, but the Haynes manual I have for my Bronco apparently has many wiring diagram errors, not to mention they can't even correspond the index back to the actual chapters right. It's just a pain all around. Hopefully you have one that actually had an editor.