Oil pan removal

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2022, 05:57 PM

Oil pan removal

I need to replace the timing chain on my 70 - 350. Can I jack the engine up and remove the oil pan? If so do I need to do anything with the transmission. I know the book says to lift the engine with a hoist but I don't have one. Can I do it without one? Thanks for your help.
Old May 16th, 2022, 12:29 AM

It can be done, but in all honesty it’s not much more work to just remove the engine.

If you decide to tackle it in the car, remove the distributor cap. Disconnect the fan shroud from the radiator support (assuming your car has one) remove the mount bolts and raise the engine. Remove the mounts from the block. You might need to turn the engine so the oil pan will clear the crank counterweights. I have probably forgotten a few steps, but that’s most of the process.
Old May 16th, 2022, 07:23 AM

Without a hoist, you need two very strong friends willing to stand and hold the engine up while you remove the pan and wait for you to get your business done before letting it back down.Do not lift it with a jack under the balancer.
Old May 16th, 2022, 08:24 AM

OK so I need bar to try and rent a hoist. I removed the z-bar linkage, radiator (changing)fan and pulleys, distributor cap, removed motor mount bolts, dropped exhaust ,removed transmission cross mount ,starter, and throttle linkage. Is there anything I forgot. One of my issues is lack of clearance in my garage. Thank you for your information.
Old May 16th, 2022, 08:41 AM

You do not have to remove the oil pan to replace the timing chain. I removed the oil pan bolts and popped the pan loose. This gives enough clearance at the front of the engine to install front cover seals. Before bolting the pan back up I dabbed some gasket sealer around pan gasket. Probably not idea but I have not had any issues with doing it this way.

Don W
Old May 16th, 2022, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by block727
OK so I need bar to try and rent a hoist. I removed the z-bar linkage, radiator (changing)fan and pulleys, distributor cap, removed motor mount bolts, dropped exhaust ,removed transmission cross mount ,starter, and throttle linkage. Is there anything I forgot. One of my issues is lack of clearance in my garage. Thank you for your information.
Im going through the same thing, thankfully I basically have a gantry to use. It leads down a rabbit hole though, I originally was just flushing the coolant, then replaced the water pump, then changed the timing chain, then change the motor mounts, then might as well do such and such since the motors out.
Old May 16th, 2022, 08:56 AM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

A 2-ton engine lift typically costs < $200 at places like Harbor Freight (last time I noticed anyway) - maybe cheaper to buy than rent. In either case you probably want to also spring for the balancer accessory that attaches to the lift hook (provides the 2-sided chain attachments that you can hook to each side of the block to pull the engine up with equal balance/weight distribution - they don't cost much either.
Old May 16th, 2022, 09:02 AM

I have to remove the pan as it is leaking. The former owner tried to fix it and it just created a mess. I may as well do it all while I am at it.
Old May 17th, 2022, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by edzolz
Without a hoist, you need two very strong friends willing to stand and hold the engine up while you remove the pan and wait for you to get your business done before letting it back down.Do not lift it with a jack under the balancer.

There is nothing wrong with lifting the engine with the balancer. Look in the factory service manual, there was a Kent Moore tool that bolted to the underside of the frame with a screw jack that raised the engine using the balancer.
Old May 17th, 2022, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Shifty Sidney
You do not have to remove the oil pan to replace the timing chain. I removed the oil pan bolts and popped the pan loose. This gives enough clearance at the front of the engine to install front cover seals. Before bolting the pan back up I dabbed some gasket sealer around pan gasket. Probably not idea but I have not had any issues with doing it this way.

Don W
You need to remove the pan to clean out the nylon chunks from the oil pump pickup. If the chain has deteriorated enough to require replacement, enough nylon has broken off that it will restrict oil. Unfortunately, by the time the chain is junk, the engine has probably already suffered some damage.