1968 delmont 88 455 throttle response..help

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2014, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Yes, he/we were not making fun of you. Your actually doing well for a novice. I would not rush out for a recurve kit yet as I think we can get it to run just by advancing the timing a bit and possibly you may have to buy an adjustable vacuum advance canister. If you can get me the settings I asked for we can go from there. Please do not adjust anything yet, be patient, and your car quite possibly will smoke the tire/s.

A good timing light is not very expensive.
all right .. I dont have the money for the timing light yet.. but ill go ask this old man I know if he has one.. (crap that might take a day as hell want me to sit with him and have a beer or 20..lol he is 80 and I cant resist lol..)
but whats the "hard way" if i cant get that light any time soon?
Old March 21st, 2014, 09:49 AM

What do you mean by "throttle response"?
Can you describe what is or isn't happening that got your attention?

The HEI probably needs to be tailored to your engine.
I suggest spring/weight kit, Adj. Vac. Can. limited to 10-12 degees, and run the vacuum advance off the intake, not the carb.
Old March 21st, 2014, 09:50 AM
Administrator

You would need a timing tape that goes around your harmonic balancer, or you would need to accurately measure and mark your balancer. I really suggest the timing light, the car has run this way for a while so a little longer won't hurt. Sometimes autoparts stores loan or rent tools, maybe that's an alternative.
Old March 21st, 2014, 09:58 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by DigitalFubar
... how should i mark my balancer?
I would mark a piece of tape, clean the balancer, then stick it on.

Distances are:
20° — 28.8mm
30° — 43.4mm
35° — 50.5mm
40° — 57.7mm
50° — 72.1mm

Or, if you'd like, I have created a pdf file that will print out a complete timing tape, which I could send you if you e-mail me.

- Eric
Old March 21st, 2014, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I would mark a piece of tape, clean the balancer, then stick it on.

Distances are:
20° — 28.8mm
30° — 43.4mm
35° — 50.5mm
40° — 57.7mm
50° — 72.1mm

Or, if you'd like, I have created a pdf file that will print out a complete timing tape, which I could send you if you e-mail me.

- Eric
all right I sent you an email..
Old March 21st, 2014, 10:42 AM
major noob

Lots of misunderstandings lol no I'm pretty sure no one here would call you retarded I hope trust me if so I'd be the biggest retard here lol I ask so many questions and I haven't even started assembling my engine don't feel bad one day you can take this advice and pass it on
Old March 21st, 2014, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by billmerbach
Lots of misunderstandings lol no I'm pretty sure no one here would call you retarded I hope trust me if so I'd be the biggest retard here lol I ask so many questions and I haven't even started assembling my engine don't feel bad one day you can take this advice and pass it on
oh lol.. NO I DO NOT THINK ANY ONE CALLED ME RETARDED..
I am grateful for any help i receive.. seems I dont know any one in the sacramento area that is will to help me with this lol.. or teach me.. so im learning every thing as i go.. I went from rice burners to an old school..
Now i know some things are the same but this is a different beast all together.. so i am learning from scratch about this car.. new terms.. settings and tunes.. and tbh i would have never guessed about the timing....

well off to ask the old man down the street if he has an adjustable timing light i can use..
Old March 21st, 2014, 11:12 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

all right I sent you an email..
Didn't get it.

I sent you one, too, though.

I can send the file when I get an e-mail from your own address.

Old guys down the street are pretty much the best resource a car guy can have.

- Eric
Old March 21st, 2014, 11:26 AM

lol i just went and talked to him and he said bring my car down.. i explained im talking to you fine people and he said (quote) why the hell do you need a computer for? bring that sob down here and ill adjust it until it pings and then back it down a bit and then you will have power..) ill give it a shot lol.. dont know how right he is but ill give him a go..
he also said i should run a higher octane gas.. he said he used to run 5 gallons of airplane fuel mixed with high octane gas lol..
Old March 21st, 2014, 01:55 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

It sounds like he knows what he's talking about. I'd see what he says when he looks at it.

Remember that one of our concerns is that this engine may have been rebuilt or modified, and therefore may not have the original compression or cam, which will affect ideal timing settings.
It definitely doesn't have the original distributor.

Ask him a lot of questions. It's much easier to learn from someone right next to you who can point to things than from a bunch of imaginary playmates on the computer.

- Eric
Old March 21st, 2014, 02:05 PM
Administrator

While we've all adjusted by ear over the years, and I'm not saying it's the wrong approach. What I am saying is these engines generally like to run well within certain parameters. I like to stay within them. You may run into problems with your vacuum advance timing by ear, if it pings with it connected or surges, disconnect and plug the hose and purchase an adjustable one.
Old March 21st, 2014, 03:59 PM

ok im back from the old mans house(glen) lol this old timer is 83 years old acts like he is 40-50 and right off the bat says start it up.. he says give it some gas..i do and he goes your vacuum adavance is busted.. I asked how he new that and he said by the way it sounds..

He then walks into his shop and hollers for me and so i go in.. and he shows me with another distrib and a vacuum gauge how the vacuum advance works.. pulls his good one off and has me swap it out and it made a difference.. he says my timing is off and to get a good light or wait for him to get another one and we will time it..
then he shows me with his gauge just how broke my vacuum advance is.. doesnt move an inch..millilmeter.. he goes see told ya..

he tells me some other stuff about my engine.. says it sounds like it gots a cam.. thinks the compression is high compression.. looks at some numbers and makes a call to a buddy of his that he claims used to build these engines for olds.. he tells me that his buddy said olds was loose with the vins..

he said some other stuff that i didnt understand and some thing about red inner fender paint and some thing about these 4 inch holes by the head lights.. and thats about it..

but all in all the vacuum thing was busted and he knew it by ear..

Last edited by DigitalFubar; March 21st, 2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old March 21st, 2014, 04:19 PM

Interesting
Do you mind if I borrow from this for my next April 01 Story?

It's not quite 01APR yet you know

Red fender liners and 4" holes by the headlights...
Let me guess, no power brakes too
Big Ol' "D" on the cylinder head...
3500 RPM at highway speeds?

:-)

ok im back from the old mans house(glen) lol this old timer is 83 years old acts like he is 40-50 and right off the bat says start it up.. he says give it some gas..i do and he goes your vacuum adavance is busted.. I asked how he new that and he said by the way it sounds..

He then walks into his shop and hollers for me and so i go in.. and he shows me with another distrib and a vacuum gauge how the vacuum advance works.. pulls his good one off and has me swap it out and it made a difference.. he says my timing is off and to get a good light or wait for him to get another one and we will time it..
then he shows me with his gauge just how broke my vacuum advance is.. doesnt move an inch..millilmeter.. he goes see told ya..

he tells me some other stuff about my engine.. says it sounds like it gots a cam.. thinks the compression is high compression.. looks at some numbers and makes a call to a buddy of his that he claims used to build these engines for olds.. he tells me that his buddy said olds was loose with the vins..

he said some other stuff that i didnt understand and some thing about red inner fender paint and some this about these 4 inch holes by the head lights.. and thats about it..

but all in all the vacuum thing was busted and he new it by ear..
Old March 21st, 2014, 06:41 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

He sounds like a good guy to make friends with. I bet he could fix anything that breaks around your house.

And if he was remembering some of those details off the top of his head after almost fifty years, while not being an "Olds guy," I'd say he's at least got a clue.

- Eric
Old March 21st, 2014, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Octania
Interesting
Do you mind if I borrow from this for my next April 01 Story?

It's not quite 01APR yet you know

Red fender liners and 4" holes by the headlights...
Let me guess, no power brakes too
Big Ol' "D" on the cylinder head...
3500 RPM at highway speeds?

:-)
ARE YOU BEING SARCASTIC? cuzz i dont follow what your getting at..
im only retelling what he was saying to me.. and if by april 1st your refering to april fools then im assuming your calling me a liar and that i am not my friend.. im simply telling you guys what went on and what he said..
hey by the way what does a D or any letters mean on the engine?

Last edited by DigitalFubar; March 21st, 2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old March 22nd, 2014, 11:54 PM

I got a question.. i notice all the Delmont 88s i see have regular red tail lights..
and mine have these blue things in the center of the out side lamps.. does that mean any thing special?
Old March 23rd, 2014, 06:08 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Those are called "Blue Dots."

They were considered to be cool in the 1950s, and are still available today.
People who want a "cool hot rod" look will sometimes drill holes in their taillight lenses and install them.

I think they're dumb, myself, especially in a car later than about 1951.

- Eric
Old March 24th, 2014, 10:01 AM

ARE YOU BEING SARCASTIC? cuzz i dont follow what your getting at..
im only retelling what he was saying to me.. and if by april 1st your refering to april fools then im assuming your calling me a liar and that i am not my friend.. im simply telling you guys what went on and what he said..
hey by the way what does a D or any letters mean on the engine?
Seriously?

NOT making fun of you or trying to insult
But, damn
it sounds EXACTLY like an April Fool's story.

call me at 517-four 49-oh 432
after work.
near the car if possible