1970 Oldsmobile delta 88 (with front rotors)

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2013, 08:10 AM

Question 1970 Oldsmobile delta 88 (with front rotors)

Ok so i have a rusted up delta with a pretty chopy frame that i started to restore bought alot of things for it, new rotors (really hard to find and expensive) and other little things. After beginning my project i found rotted frame rails among many other things. Not quite sure what to do with it now, has a good engine and tranny just alot of rust from sitting in some1s yard for years. Would the car b worth parting out or sold whole and if nything would nybody want to buy a ridiculously expensive set of rotors?
Old January 19th, 2013, 08:58 AM

If you post where you're located it might help gauge interest.
Old January 19th, 2013, 09:05 AM

Like the name says I'm in pa, close to pittsburgh
Old January 19th, 2013, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by parocketguy
Like the name says I'm in pa, close to pittsburgh
Ah, we weren't sure that your location was encoded in your name, and even then, we would only have determined Pennsylvania and not where IN Pennsylvania.

As far as getting rid of it if you don't want to invest any more time or money in it, a '70 Delta 88 parts car is worth maybe $500 or $600, depending on lots of things. Someone restoring one may want it if it has usable parts. What body style is it? What engine is in it, and what shape is it in? Someone may take the car just for that.
Old January 19th, 2013, 09:38 AM

It's a 2 door, not a convertible, has the 350 double barrel carb, 400t transmission, and it's in pretty rough shape, but as for 5-600 that's almost what i could get out of it in scrap. Not to mention the brand shiny new rotors and asbestos break pads cost almost that much alone. Id upload pics but I'm using a phone and the browser on it isn't exactly the best.
Old January 19th, 2013, 10:03 AM

Not to mention the brand shiny new rotors and asbestos break pads cost almost that much alone.
I think you'll be disappointed if you think you're going to get back what you paid for these parts, because anyone who needs them will just do what you did, and buy brand new ones from wherever for the same price. Regardless of their condition and how unused they are, what you have on your car now are used parts.

Remember the oldest adage in all of the old car hobby: you never get back when you go to sell a car you've fixed up what you paid to fix it up.
Old January 19th, 2013, 10:17 AM

Well that's just it, as far as this forum goes nobody can seem to find these rotors so i don't c how i could loose that much atleast on the rotors alone. And as for getting the rest of my money back that all depends on how much u put into it (money wise, time spent is lost forever). If i can part it out properly, engine, tranny, and trim would b the first to go, and aside from the ridiculously over priced rotors those 3 things could get my money back. My only issue is finding delta owners that need parts.
Old January 19th, 2013, 11:18 AM

I agree that you are likely to get more money for the car if you sell the engine, transmission, etc. separately. The issue, though, is that that can take time and effort. It's a trade-off. Getting the engine and tranmission out of the car is a job, regardless of how well set up you might be to do it, equipment-wise. Then you've got to deal with buyers, who can be flaky. Are you willing to ship these very heavy items, or will you try to sell only locally, which will shrink your pool of potential buyers? Sell the whole car cheaply and maybe get rid of it in a month, or sell it off piecemeal and take a year to do it.

Everything you've put into the car is what accountants would call a sunk cost. It's money already spent, it's gone, and you shouldn't be thinking about how you're going to recover it. Don't fixate on those brand new brakes and how you would like to get back what you paid for them.

Your goal now is just to get as much for the car or its parts as you can. Sometimes, the best thing to do is take what you can get for the car as a whole and just get rid of it.
Old January 19th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

...would nybody want to buy a ridiculously expensive set of rotors?
Just how expensive is "ridiculously expensive"?
You can PM me if you'd rather not post it.
Old February 18th, 2013, 09:24 PM

I'd also be interested in what you've got into those brakes or if you've sold them then where you picked them up
Old February 19th, 2013, 11:45 AM

1969 - 1970 olds full size rotors

These factory - correct DISC BRAKE ROTORS are indeed impossible to find on planet earth and have become very expensive as well because of non-availability.
I have 4 pieces remaining (2 pairs) and no more N.O.S. Asbestos pads for these -- but I do have Bendix Ceramic Pads -- "next best".....

If you guys need these rotors, either help out this guy or call me --
Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935...New York.

And Pa. guy -- if you don't sell yours, call me -- I will need some soon -- and maybe you can bring them to Carlisle.....call me......
Old June 6th, 2021, 04:52 PM

how much u wanf for them

Ok so i have a rusted up delta with a pretty chopy frame that i started to restore bought alot of things for it, new rotors (really hard to find and expensive) and other little things. After beginning my project i found rotted frame rails among many other things. Not quite sure what to do with it now, has a good engine and tranny just alot of rust from sitting in some1s yard for years. Would the car b worth parting out or sold whole and if nything would nybody want to buy a ridiculously expensive set of rotors?
Old June 6th, 2021, 05:50 PM

You are responding to an 8 year old post. i can't imagine he still has the car.