Y
0%
N
100.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

1984 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale Brougham

Search this Thread

Old November 2nd, 2020, 03:21 PM

Your best negotiating position is time. Go in, tell them it's a nice car, offer your $5k-$6k and say THERE IS NO WAY I CAN PAY $12k, but I AM READY TO BUY AT $6k NOW FOR CASH. Tell them you are looking at other cars too, so if this doesn't work out you will move on. Then leave your number, tell them they can call you if they are willing to budge and walk out. Make it seem like you do this all the time and don't allow them to waste your time talking about it. Be firm, state your piece and walk out. They have to think that they could lose a ready buyer with $6k in cash. You may have to walk out several times until you get your price. They will keep pressing you and walking away is your power. Again the longer you chat with them the more desperate they will think you are and the less they will be willing to negotiate. Each time you come in, even if you up the price repeat what I listed in caps above.
Old November 2nd, 2020, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by bigdooly
No way 12 k 5-6, maybe 7500 if you really gotta have it. I am in agreement with most of what has been posted, and here's my 2 cents.
If that is an original unrestored car there is no way it should be a daily driver. Pleasure car yes. Daily driver no. (Get a beater for around town) It will ride like you're on a cloud, but my 400,000 mile mazda 3 will run circles around it. Mechanical parts are easy to come by, but body parts are getting scarcer. I had an 85 Lesabre in the early 90's which is the sister car to the Delta 88. (Same chassis , driveline), Bought it from an old man with a knock in the 307, and faded paint.but it was straight as an arrow, super clean interior. Put a 403 in it still couldn't get out of its own way, but with a fresh paint job, set of basket spokes & whitewalls, damn it looked good, and I enjoyed the hell out of driving it. They suck in the snow, and you ain't winning any races, but I still love big ol rwd Gm's. The ride is fantastic.
Good luck with whatever you decide, I hope you get a deal that makes you happy.
Oh, one quick story, I have a 73 Sedan Deville survivor. Took it to a local pub one day for late lunch/ early dinner with my little cousin and his buddy. Some P.O.S. treehugger I'm guessing decided to kick a dent on the passenger front door while we where dining. People can suck, and a car that nice should be enjoyed but preserved as well.
Jim
I love that you said preserve! I know that I will be driving it as a daily for a little bit but the thought of a 2nd Vehicle has already crossed my mind. Prius? I forget who said it but, these car don’t fall off trees! I would hate seeing the car sold when I had a chance to buy it! My commute to work is 2 miles. I currently bike there at the moment! My longest drive would be 20 miles to campus 2 days a week.
Old November 6th, 2020, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Blackjack419
I love that you said preserve! I know that I will be driving it as a daily for a little bit but the thought of a 2nd Vehicle has already crossed my mind. Prius? I forget who said it but, these car don’t fall off trees! I would hate seeing the car sold when I had a chance to buy it! My commute to work is 2 miles. I currently bike there at the moment! My longest drive would be 20 miles to campus 2 days a week.
well, tried to get a loan on it so I can work on my credit, limited credit availability is my answer back from the bank. Guess it’s just not my time. Thread can be deleted thanks for all the advice. Hope to get something later next year. will still be lurking on site you guys have been awesome. Have already learned so much from site.
-Chris
Old November 6th, 2020, 10:01 AM

well, tried to get a loan on it so I can work on my credit, limited credit availability is my answer back from the bank.
Is this a problem based on your credit, or is it just because you're trying to get a loan on a 36 year old car which is likely very difficult for the bank to fix a value on? Banks will only loan money for a car if they know they can sell it for what you owe if you should default on a loan. On a new or late model car, it's easy to come up with a value for the car, so the bank knows what it can loan on one.

But for a car as old as this one, it's much more difficult. The seller thinks its worth $11,000. We all think it's worth half that. So how does a bank value the car? They may have some methods, but they're probably happiest not bothering to loan money in a situation like this. You should be paying cash for a car like this.

If you want to improve your credit score, get a credit card with a small credit limit, charge a few things on it, like your next pair of shoes or a dinner out, and pay the bill off in full every month. Don't try to do it buying a decades-old car.
Old November 6th, 2020, 10:10 AM

Now that you're going to pass on this, is it ok to ask what they were willing to sell it to you for? Just wondering if they were going to drop the car to a reasonable value or were you going to up your offer?

It could be a case of consignment as well. Which usually overprices every car a dealer takes on as consignment because 2 people at least are going to make coin. Or that's the idea, anyway.
Old November 6th, 2020, 10:23 AM

well, tried to get a loan on it so I can work on my credit, limited credit availability is my answer back from the bank. Guess it’s just not my time.
That's too bad. There are still plenty of Oldsmobiles on the road. Keep us posted when you find another you want to look at.
Old November 6th, 2020, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Is this a problem based on your credit, or is it just because you're trying to get a loan on a 36 year old car which is likely very difficult for the bank to fix a value on? Banks will only loan money for a car if they know they can sell it for what you owe if you should default on a loan. On a new or late model car, it's easy to come up with a value for the car, so the bank knows what it can loan on one.

But for a car as old as this one, it's much more difficult. The seller thinks its worth $11,000. We all think it's worth half that. So how does a bank value the car? They may have some methods, but they're probably happiest not bothering to loan money in a situation like this. You should be paying cash for a car like this.

If you want to improve your credit score, get a credit card with a small credit limit, charge a few things on it, like your next pair of shoes or a dinner out, and pay the bill off in full every month. Don't try to do it buying a decades-old car.
Called my bank and their exact answer was limited credit availability. just haven’t had anything solely in my name and recently got credit card less than 6 months ago. I tried to rush this because I saw the car in my city! Really don’t need a vehicle for about the next 2 months. So I’ll keep biking for now!
Old November 6th, 2020, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
That's too bad. There are still plenty of Oldsmobiles on the road. Keep us posted when you find another you want to look at.
yeah going to keep working, get back on the search in a couple months!
Old November 6th, 2020, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by 69HO43
Now that you're going to pass on this, is it ok to ask what they were willing to sell it to you for? Just wondering if they were going to drop the car to a reasonable value or were you going to up your offer?

It could be a case of consignment as well. Which usually overprices every car a dealer takes on as consignment because 2 people at least are going to make coin. Or that's the idea, anyway.
Didn’t get down to an exact price but I did let him know that the bank appraised me at 4380 for the car and the numbers that the VMR car guide gave me. Said we work out a price but money on my end is short so didn’t go on!!
Old November 6th, 2020, 03:48 PM

If it’s still there at the end of the month, I’ll give it another go.

Old November 14th, 2020, 08:06 PM

Saw it listed on CL for 11,900 today so at the very least 1k has come off