64 Dynamic Trans Leak

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2021, 01:09 PM

64 Dynamic Trans Leak

Finally got the Olds together enough to drive around the block. The slim jim leaks when I turn the car off, from the bell housing. Now this is the first time I have driven the car, except for putting in on the trailer. And the history I have is that it sat for years, outside. It sat because it had no brakes and no one wanted to fix it.
The first trip around the block it had a rough 1-2, or it could have been a 2-3 shift, which, from what I read in the forums is not uncommon. I tinkered more with the dwell, timing and idle and now the shift is a lot smoother but when cruising along at 20 there is a definite surging, like maybe slipping then grabbing. I did not mess with that TV rod. Any ideas? Low fluid? Sucking air? Fluid level seemed normal.
I did pull the pan before the drive, back before the engine/trans R&R, and it did not look bad. I tried to clean the screen, new one seems pretty pricey.
I plan on pulling slim out to replace the front seal, I did have the engine/trans out but did not touch them then,, woulda coulda shoulda, but I didn't.
The water pump is off now, waiting for a rebuilt, and need to get the neighbors mustang off the lift before I can replace the seal. Actually got his AOD apart so it seems to be tranny time.