Canadian 1981 Delta 88

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2021, 07:49 PM

Canadian 1981 Delta 88

I'm up in PEI, Canada and just managed to get my '81 Delta 88 Royale Brougham with the 307 out of winter storage. I've gotten myself, admittedly a little confused going through threads all winter trying to troubleshoot the issues I was having with it last year.

What I'm NOT confused about is which manual I should be using; I've got a 1981 Olds CSM expected to be here early next week. Managed to get it for under $80 too! I think Joe may have driven the demand up on these over the last decade lol

So I'm aware that I won't be able to do anything until I get it adjusted properly as per the CSM, but I keep getting confused as to if I have a CCC, and ECM. Some threads I read mention a Canadian 81 Delta 88 non CCC like it's a common thing up here. The guy I bought it from said to was a rescued "Alberta Car"(no salt) and I'm inclined to believe him because the rust is minimal on the whole.
There doesn't seem to be a ALDL/ODB I Port under the dash, although there is a 9 or 10 pin Port in a redish orange plastic case on the driver's side of the engine bay, beside the cruise control assembly.

The number on the Quadrajet is 17081287, so trying to identify it gets me as far as it's a 1981 4 Barrel, the 8 in the seventh digit doesn't match a brand, and odd 7 in the eighth spot would then mean it's for a manual? Unless the Caddy carbs that are mentioned are the same ones used on 307's and the last three digits don't seem to follow that.

I'm just trying to get to a square one point so I know I'm going down the right path from the start. My only other project was a 2004 Mustang with a 3.9L V6. That was in Windsor, Ontario; where the engine was manufactured, and trying to find anything for it was a run around because most had the 3.8L, and the 3.9 was only sold at the end of the production due to the Essex Engine Plant retooling. Just saying it had a 3.9L had people looking at me like I didn't know my *** from my foot.

This 81 Delta 88 feels like the same kinda thing with the CCC. If it was an 1980 Delta 88, it wouldn't have all the computer BS.

Old April 27th, 2021, 05:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

The 1980-81 cars used that unique test port and require a special Kent-Moore test box to interface with it. Canadian market cars should not be CCC. I suspect that the US-spec CSM will only cover the US spec cars and not the Canadian cars. There may be a Canadian supplement.
Old April 27th, 2021, 02:02 PM

In addition to the CSM there is an 'Electrical Troubleshooting Manual' supplement. 540 pages of secret stuff for your '81 Olds. Same colour as the CSM.
Old April 29th, 2021, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The 1980-81 cars used that unique test port and require a special Kent-Moore test box to interface with it. Canadian market cars should not be CCC. I suspect that the US-spec CSM will only cover the US spec cars and not the Canadian cars. There may be a Canadian supplement.
Well, that's unfortunate. However, if it's not a CCC, then is the CSM required to get it tuned, or can I tune it by ear? Also if it's not a CCC, can I delete all the emission hoses and clean up the engine a bit, or is it going to affect it some other way?

Thanks for the reply

Chris
Old April 29th, 2021, 03:02 PM

I can't answer most of your questions, but I can tell you that if you still have a Catalytic Converter, it will not like you pulling off all of the emissions items and may overheat. If you pull off the emissions you should remove the Cat.
Old April 29th, 2021, 03:14 PM

I've got no problem cutting the cat out, I'll most likely do it tomorrow, Thank you for solidifying that decision for me. I climbed under about an hour ago and found it has rusted out a little bit on one side. I'm having a bit of an "aha" moment realizing that there's a real good chance that the cat is clogged up, and that has been causing the poor performance, and overheating I was chasing.