'73 Delta 88 Lights functionality

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2022, 05:11 PM
Acceleratii maxim rapidus

'73 Delta 88 Lights functionality

Hi all fellow '73 Delta 88 owners.
A land yacht owner and I need confirmation on the front parkers, side markers, tail and headlight function.
Both our '73 88's seem to be different and one is being knocked back on a rego safety check for external light functions.

My understanding is when the headlights switch is pulled halfway out, the following lights will be illuminated - two white front parkers below the front bumper, all four orange fender marker lights and the tail lights plus the dashboard illumination.

When the headlights switch is pulled all the way out, ALL the above lights will stay illuminated with the addition of the low beam outer headlights.

When switched to high beam ALL the above lights stay on with the addition of the inner high beam head lights, the outer headlights now also switch to high beam mode.

When indicating to turn at night, ALL the above lights stay on solid - only the appropriate L or R tail light and the same side front under bumper light flashes.

The two lights under the rear bumper are only reversing lights and only illuminate when reverse is selected. Neither of our 88's are fitted with the front cornering light option.

Could someone please confirm my explanation of the lighting functionality, or offer the correct function?
Old August 23rd, 2022, 05:43 PM
Oldsdruid

That's correct for US-spec 1973 cars. Only thing I see missing is the rear license plate lamp. It also comes on in either headlight switch position.

Notice you mentioned four yellow side marker lamps. In US the fronts are yellow and rears red. Does Aus require them to all be yellow? The front park/turn use clear white lenses and I've seen them with either clear bulbs or amber tinted. Either will pass a state safety inspection here.
Old August 23rd, 2022, 06:01 PM
Acceleratii maxim rapidus

Thanks rocketraider for your confirmation of the lights.
You are correct, the two rear fender lights are indeed red not orange. There is no requirement in Aus for them to be orange and haven't been changed since the car's import from Oregon.