need help to ID oil leak

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2020, 04:08 PM

need help to ID oil leak

I am getting this 1950 Olds 88 running after sitting for many years. 5 years ago my Dad replaced the timing gears, timing cover seal, gaskets, etc, but he never drove it after that. This oil originally appeared to come from the front oil pan gasket, so I put some RTV on the spike where it was leaking. The leak moved to a spike above so I put RTV on that as well. The leak is now worse and maybe the leak is coming from the front face onto the pan gasket? The leak gets worse as you rev up the engine.

Where do you think this is leaking from? I have included a video link to my you tube below. I tried to upload the video but no luck with that yet. The video is 21 MB.

Old December 23rd, 2020, 07:42 PM

Sometimes a bad leak like that (and that is bad) will show up as a clean spot where the leak begins, that is if you haven't wipe the area clean in a while. Worth a look and the price is right.... Tedd
Old December 24th, 2020, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Put a small bottle of UV dye in your oil & visualize w/ a UV black light. They sell both at any automotive store. They have small pen light UV lights inexpensive.
Thanks, great idea . I already have the UV light and glasses from AC work.
Old December 28th, 2020, 07:34 AM

I'm no 50s engine expert, but perhaps he left off the oil slinger, or perhaps the harmonic balancer was severely scored and ruined the front seal. If it's the balancer, you might be able to get a machine shop to sleeve it.

An oil slinger for you car might be this:

USED 1949-1964 OLDS 303 324 V8 CRANKSHAFT WOODRUFF KEY AND OIL SLINGER 88 98 | eBay

Old December 28th, 2020, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by sysmg
I'm no 50s engine expert, but perhaps he left off the oil slinger, or perhaps the harmonic balancer was severely scored and ruined the front seal. If it's the balancer, you might be able to get a machine shop to sleeve it.

An oil slinger for you car might be this:

USED 1949-1964 OLDS 303 324 V8 CRANKSHAFT WOODRUFF KEY AND OIL SLINGER 88 98 | eBay
Thanks for the reply. I put some dye in and ran it today. Then I pulled the radiator, see pictures below. Can you tell me what you see there?

Old December 28th, 2020, 05:21 PM

Again, I am no expert on the 50s engine, but that looks like come kind of broken casting. Is that the front cover? Block? or Water Pump? Someone more familiar with this engine might know.
Old December 28th, 2020, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by sysmg
Again, I am no expert on the 50s engine, but that looks like come kind of broken casting. Is that the front cover? Block? or Water Pump? Someone more familiar with this engine might know.
Thanks for the response. I am also not familiar with these engines. I re-posted in the engines forum to see if it gets more views/responses.
Old December 28th, 2020, 05:47 PM
72 Olds CS

Is it the oil pan not seated correctly? You said your dad had changed the timing chain, maybe he didnt get that together correctly?
Old December 28th, 2020, 06:29 PM

Here is a picture of your engine for discussion purposes I see what appears to be the two bolts front of engine driver side. Is this where you found the leak?

Yes, the top picture with the red circle is the front, bottom driver side of the engine, where the oil pan and timing cover come together. The bottom picture is the same but passenger side. The engine dye was evident on the passenger side, less so on the driver side. Either way, I'm pretty well convinced this is the cause of the leak. My best guess is that either the oil pan was damaged or as RetroRanger stated, the oil pan did not get seated properly. Should I pull the timing cover next? or remove the front engine mount?

Last edited by jcor12; December 28th, 2020 at 06:32 PM. Reason: and in question
Old December 28th, 2020, 07:10 PM
Phantom Phixer

It looks to me as though someone tried to remove and replace the timing cover without removing the oil pan first .
One might be able to do that on a Chevy , but definately not on a first generation Olds .
Looks to me as though the pan was badly damaged by the attempt to reinstall the cover .
Old December 28th, 2020, 07:28 PM

It’s a tough call determining exactly what specific area can be seen in your picture. I think this is your timing cover?

Yes that looks like it, better picture with pulley removed

Old December 28th, 2020, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
It looks to me as though someone tried to remove and replace the timing cover without removing the oil pan first .
One might be able to do that on a Chevy , but definately not on a first generation Olds .
Looks to me as though the pan was badly damaged by the attempt to reinstall the cover .
completely agree...on both sides there is a distinct flat spot (like a screw driver was wedged in to pry)

Old December 29th, 2020, 08:06 AM
Phantom Phixer

You're probably going to need an oil pan .
The good news is that 1949 thru 1956 oil pans will fit .
According to the parts book ;
1963 Oldsmobile Parts and Accessories Catalog (Chassis Edition) - ClassicOldsmobile.com
Old December 29th, 2020, 08:14 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

That thing is not leaking, it is pouring. I think the gang here has pin pointed your problem. Unfortunately you have some work ahead of you. Good luck.
Old December 29th, 2020, 08:20 AM

You're probably going to need an oil pan .
The good news is that 1949 thru 1956 oil pans will fit .
According to the parts book ;
1963 Oldsmobile Parts and Accessories Catalog (Chassis Edition) - ClassicOldsmobile.com
Thanks for the info. I found one from Toms auto parts in Maine.
Old January 2nd, 2021, 08:38 AM

Well I have the pan out. I do not think the oil pan is damaged. Upon inspection, it appears those areas in the top corners are supposed to be shaped that way. The gasket has a right angle shape to it that exactly matches the oil pan. I do believe the leak was coming from the oil pan gasket not seating properly. There are also two tabs in the oil pan gasket kit. Where do they go?

Old January 2nd, 2021, 09:18 AM

I believe those small tabs get glued into the gap on each side of the rear main cap. They should be made of cork.
Old January 2nd, 2021, 09:21 AM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by jcor12
Well I have the pan out. I do not think the oil pan is damaged. Upon inspection, it appears those areas in the top corners are supposed to be shaped that way. The gasket has a right angle shape to it that exactly matches the oil pan. I do believe the leak was coming from the oil pan gasket not seating properly. There are also two tabs in the oil pan gasket kit. Where do they go?
The two small cork "tabs" go on either side of the rear main bearing cap .
Check that pan carefully . It looks like it has been bent and pried on .
Old January 2nd, 2021, 11:40 AM

Thanks...I have a new gasket and used oil pan on order. A side by side comparison of the 2 oil pans should make it obvious.
Old January 9th, 2021, 07:15 PM

Where exactly do these 2 cork tabs get placed? Is it where that black rectangle is?

are they “glued” just using black rtv gasket maker?

Old January 9th, 2021, 09:20 PM
Phantom Phixer

This is where the two cork tabs go .
A little Permatex here won't hurt .

Old January 10th, 2021, 03:40 PM

This is where the two cork tabs go .
A little Permatex here won't hurt .
Thanks Charlie...I looked there but questioned it because the cork tab provided is bigger than that space. Anyway I had to scrape out the old ones and trim the new ones to fit.
Old January 10th, 2021, 06:30 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by jcor12
Thanks Charlie...I looked there but questioned it because the cork tab provided is bigger than that space. Anyway I had to scrape out the old ones and trim the new ones to fit.
You shouldn't have trimmed those tabs . They are meant to be squeezed into that cavity by the oil pan .
But since you have done so , I would suggest putting a dab of silicone sealer there when you install the pan .