General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1964 Dynamic 88 Legacy

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2021, 11:12 AM
Alex

Smile 1964 Dynamic 88 Legacy

I have a very interesting story about my purchase of a 1964 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 and how I got it for $200.
According to the owner before me the car was purchased around 64 or 65 by a young kid. He drove it for part of high school and into his early 20s. He then went to Vietnam in 67 or 68 but unfortunately never returned home. His father keep the car in the garage for 30ish years and drove it around a few times a year. When the father passed in 2018 the car was I believe sold at auction to the guy I bought it from. He had plans to LS swap it and make it a drag car but he never had the time. I saw it on Facebook for $2500 and asked if he would be wiling to trade it for anything? He said he was looking for a Gator or a Early 80s small block 350 that had the serials numbers that would have come with his truck. I couldn't believe it but I had the engine he was looking for. I had that engine for 2 years and it just kind of just sat around. After he found out he said name your price. We agreed on $200 cash and the 350. Car has 98K miles. The frame is not rusty but is "soft" in a few places. The pan must have been undercoated because there is zero rust on the pans. The worst area is the passenger rear fender and the truck seal area. But though there is some issues, this was the steal of a lifetime. Right now on a different thread the engine has been removed and is getting a full rebuild. Look Here: Poor Running and Idle issues. I believe this car is much deserving in being restored. Also with me being 20 it just feels nice to keep another fellow kids memory alive.

Old February 21st, 2021, 01:22 PM

Very nice, and a great color on an Olds. Drive it and enjoy it!
Old February 21st, 2021, 01:24 PM
Oldsdruid

Is the whole interior as nice as the front? I've judged cars at Nationals that the interior didn't look that good. It has Deluxe trim going by the inside door handles and bright window moldings.

Once you get its engine straightened out, treat it to a respray. You'll have a nice cruiser and uncommon car since most of the early-60s love goes to Starfires and convertibles.
Old February 21st, 2021, 05:09 PM

That is a nice car. My mother owned one identical to it, and it was great to drive. Take your time and do it right.