General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1972 Cutlass will not start

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2021, 04:26 PM

1972 Cutlass will not start

Hi, New here, have had this 1972 Cutlass since last year. worked fine then and was ok in the spring. It is a 350 hardtop. I put a new battery in, there is plenty of juice, but cranks once and then nothing. No clicking, just nothing. I've check the cable from the battery to the starter. I'm not sure if it is an ignition issue or a new starter needed. Have tried tapping the starter, but didn't help. Any one have this issue before or how to troubleshoot?
Old October 20th, 2021, 04:46 PM

If you mean by "tapping the starter", you bypassed the ignition and it didn't turn over or the solenoid didn't click. I would get a new starter. Otherwise replace the ignition switch in the column.
Old October 20th, 2021, 04:48 PM
Running On Empty

Plenty of juice doesn't help. We need numbers. You need ~12.6V. What is the voltage of the battery - at the battery? What is the voltage of the (+) power cable at the starter? Based on the very limited amount of information and no clicking (I assume you mean no clicking when you turn the key to start?), it sounds like a giant drawn-down (loss of voltage). But, we need to know the battery voltage at the battery first (not plenty of juice). Then, the voltage at the starter before you turn the IGN SW to START. Have you checked your ground cable(s)? Make certain you clean your battery posts and clean each of your negative grounding cables on the frame and the engine block. Wire brush each contact point so you have solid metal-on-metal. Could very well be ground related.
Old October 20th, 2021, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by WCH72
cranks once and then nothing. No clicking, just nothing.

Any one have this issue before or how to troubleshoot?
Yes my 69 does it from time to time. In my case it is that the gear selector is not always resting in its proper location... Putting it in park is not always enough it needs to fully settle where it belongs. I attribute it to wear and tear.

I can turn the key once in a blue moon and it will do absolutely nothing. Gently jostle the gear selector in park, turn the key again and its a flawless start...
Old October 21st, 2021, 08:27 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 69CSHC
Yes my 69 does it from time to time. In my case it is that the gear selector is not always resting in its proper location... Putting it in park is not always enough it needs to fully settle where it belongs. I attribute it to wear and tear. I can turn the key once in a blue moon and it will do absolutely nothing. Gently jostle the gear selector in park, turn the key again and its a flawless start...
^^^ Neutral Safety Switch^^^
Old October 21st, 2021, 08:36 AM

You can try moving the gear selecter first, but other than that follow Vintage Chiefs advise. One step at a time.
Old October 21st, 2021, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by 69CSHC
Yes my 69 does it from time to time. In my case it is that the gear selector is not always resting in its proper location... Putting it in park is not always enough it needs to fully settle where it belongs. I attribute it to wear and tear.

I can turn the key once in a blue moon and it will do absolutely nothing. Gently jostle the gear selector in park, turn the key again and its a flawless start...

Most likely the plastic and rubber bushings in the shift linkage are worn out. They are available thru many restoration venders, some are stocked at AutoZone in the Help and Dorman section
Old October 21st, 2021, 06:35 PM

Ok, simple test. Open the door, turn on the dome light. Crank. If the light dims, you have a charger or battery problem. If it doesn't, it's not even getting the hint of power, and it's something like the safety switch. If the first, do Chief's advice. If not, grab the collar on the column that moves with the gears and turn left all the way if it has room, then try. If no joy there, then you have linkage issues or the switch is dead, or the wire is broken.
Old October 23rd, 2021, 08:01 PM

Thanks all, it was a starter, hit it with a hammer and got it started. Replaced and works like a champ.