General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Best way to replace rubber fuel line under gas tank?

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2011, 08:01 PM

Best way to replace rubber fuel line under gas tank?

Ok, since I am in the middle of removing and installing a completer rear end I have good access to the underside of the car.

I notice a 6" long piece of rubber fuel hose coming from the gas tank that connects 2 metal lines together. The rubber line has seen better days and I would like to replace it, but I am afraid if I remove the line I am going to have 12 gallons of gas siphoning out on the floor.

Any ideas on how the best way to tackle this?

Thank you

d1
Old July 9th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Official Tire Kicker

I would take the tank down, it's pretty easy (2 bolts and discoonect the sending unit) then you can get a look at everything under there and do a good inspection of the hoses and fittings to make sure they are all good, but that's just me. If you don't want to do that you could just remove the fuel from the tank prior to pulling the hose.
Old July 9th, 2011, 08:51 PM

I found out the hard way last year about the siphoning effect... After a full coffee can full I wised up and just held the hose up above the tank for a minute and broke the siphon. Quickly changed the hose and lived happily ever after.
I did have a nice can of parts cleaning solvent in the end...

You could always crimp the hose with some pliers )small vice grips will work. Some gas will siphon out, but not too much. HAve the new hose cut and ready to install quickly.

If you have the rear out, this job will be easier. Good time to replace that rear brake hose if needed, also.
Old July 10th, 2011, 04:23 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I always put a pair of vise-grips on the hose before cutting it off, but have still always ended up with a face full of gas from the contents of the hose itself.

Just clamp the hose and keep your eyes closed, and you should be fine.

I agree, though, that if you've got it apart, you might as well take down the tank and check everything out - it's just 2 bolts.

- Eric
Old July 10th, 2011, 04:57 AM

i just did this on the Rallye 350. i took the gas cap off and had an air hose ready with a air gun. when i cut the fuel line i put my thumb over the line coming from the tank. then i just blew some air into the line and it pushed the fuel back to the tank. the line coming out of the tank is higher so all you are doing is braking the siphoning affect.
Old July 10th, 2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
i just did this on the Rallye 350. i took the gas cap off and had an air hose ready with a air gun. when i cut the fuel line i put my thumb over the line coming from the tank. then i just blew some air into the line and it pushed the fuel back to the tank. the line coming out of the tank is higher so all you are doing is braking the siphoning affect.

Ahhhhh... Nice. Never would have thought of that. I'll give that a try. Thanks.

d1
Old July 10th, 2011, 09:47 AM

just make sure the tank is vented (gas cap off to be sure) or you will pressurize the tank and then you will have pressure pushing the gas back out.
Old July 10th, 2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
just make sure the tank is vented (gas cap off to be sure) or you will pressurize the tank and then you will have pressure pushing the gas back out.
Well I got it replaced and your procedure worked like a champ. The only gas that leaked out was from the line attached to the frame due to the way it is bent, gravity took over (maybe a couple of ounces came out of the line).

Did have on more question. Is there a bracket that is suppose to attach to the metal line right above where the passenger side gas tank strap bolt is located? I see a hole there but there is no indication that a hold down bracket is suppose to be there.

The reason I bring it up, is that upon inspection of the old hose, the ends were cracked real bad and the metal line that attaches to the frame is just kind of hanging out there. I am guess the vibration from the motor running and driving is transferring to the ends of the hose and where it connects to the metal lines.

If this is clear as mud, I will take and post a picture.

d1
Old July 10th, 2011, 04:35 PM

i think this is the first clamp. i don't remember there being one on the body. i will see if i can find my assembly manual and see what it has.

i think this is where you are talking about?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_4277 - Copy.JPG (195.2 KB, 47 views)
Old July 10th, 2011, 05:04 PM

Actually I got the clamp on the frame as you depicted. The holes on the body where the fuel line bends in towards the fuel tank is what I am referring to. Pic attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Fuel Line 001.jpg (54.0 KB, 45 views)
Old July 10th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by defiant1
... upon inspection of the old hose, the ends were cracked real bad and the metal line that attaches to the frame is just kind of hanging out there. I am guess the vibration from the motor running and driving is transferring to the ends of the hose and where it connects to the metal lines.
Not to be too much of a wise guy , but the rubber hose is supposed to flex and absorb the relative movement between the engine and body, or between the body and tank. If the rubber hose is so old that it is stiff and cracks, it may have been time to change it some time back.

- Eric
Old July 10th, 2011, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Not to be too much of a wise guy , but the rubber hose is supposed to flex and absorb the relative movement between the engine and body, or between the body and tank. If the rubber hose is so old that it is stiff and cracks, it may have been time to change it some time back.

- Eric

The hose was fine considering how old it is (had SWAN GAS stamped on the side of it), except for the ends. If the hose was longer I could of cut 3/8" off each end and reused it.

Figured if the metal line from the frame was secured a little better it would not exhibit pressure at the connection points, but rather let the bulk of the hose absorb/flex with the movement of the car (as you pointed out above).

d1