General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Opinion 1970 442 spindle defect

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2023, 01:33 PM

Opinion 1970 442 spindle defect

Thumbs up or down. I noticed this defect on the spindle measures approx. 0.015" deep. Anyone else run into this?

Old November 25th, 2023, 01:50 PM
Administrator

It won't cause any issues because that is not the contact are of the wheel bearings. Just ignore it and reassemble everything.
Old November 25th, 2023, 01:55 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by dragline
Thumbs up or down. I noticed this defect on the spindle measures approx. 0.015" deep. Anyone else run into this?
Look again. That's the surface where the inner bearing sits. Obviously the inner bearing seized and spun on the spindle. That whole surface looks messed up. Time for a new one.
Old November 25th, 2023, 02:22 PM
Administrator

While the OP asked about the chip, I agree that sometime in the past a bearing had spun on the spindle, granted I'm looking at the picture off my phone. It still looks like it will function fine.
Old November 25th, 2023, 02:26 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
While the OP asked about the chip, I agree that sometime in the past a bearing had spun on the spindle, granted I'm looking at the picture off my phone. It still looks like it will function fine.
Unfortunately on a real monitor it looks pretty scary.
Old November 25th, 2023, 03:03 PM

Well, on my monitor, it looks like a weld repair on a section of the journal and the dark area is an unfilled crevice. The wavy line tells me it was welded. If they were radial lines, it would be score marks from the bearing race spinning.
It looks like they welded and machined the weld and blended it where it meets the beginning of the radius and also at an original journal surface.
Old November 25th, 2023, 03:45 PM

Almost looks like the bearing was seized on the spindle, then someone busted what was left of bearing off, then took a torch and cut off inner race accidentally knicking spindle with torch. Anyway it's kinda scary. I'll bet if you took a new bearing and slid it on, it will be a loose and sloppy fit. Did you take it apart cuz bearing was noisy? Or just to repack bearings for maintenance?
Old November 25th, 2023, 05:24 PM

I'd be getting a new spindle. If it's a manufacturing defect, there may be more. If it's a chip from a busted bearing, it's weak. Plus it probably got really hot if a bearing failed, which would make me wonder if it compromised the integrity.
Old November 26th, 2023, 02:43 AM
Lansing built

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Almost looks like the bearing was seized on the spindle, then someone busted what was left of bearing off, then took a torch and cut off inner race accidentally knicking spindle with torch. Anyway it's kinda scary. I'll bet if you took a new bearing and slid it on, it will be a loose and sloppy fit. Did you take it apart cuz bearing was noisy? Or just to repack bearings for maintenance?
I would concur! I have torched so many races on farm equipment. Sometimes you nick the shaft.

I would replace it also if you can find a good used or new. With two faults, galling and the torch mark. In a pinch with no choice, I would ***** punch the bearing journal on the shaft

Pat
Old November 26th, 2023, 05:34 AM

It does look like the inner bearing spun on the spindle but there should be some evidence of heat staining if that was the case.

But rather than guess through pictures I'd slide the new bearing on the spindle and see if it still fits properly. If its loose the spindle needs replaced. Or better yet measure the OD of the bearing surface with a dial caliper in a few spots and see if its the same as the other side. If there is a huge variation in size I'd replace it.

Again if the inner bearing fits, I'd run it and not think twice.

Last edited by 66_Jetstar; November 26th, 2023 at 05:38 AM.
Old November 28th, 2023, 01:43 PM

I'm redoing the front suspension on my 442. The nut holding the disc rotor was over tightened. I had to use a bearing puller to get the inner bearing off. I decided to replace both spindles. Better safe than sorry.
Old November 28th, 2023, 02:55 PM

Good call.
Old November 28th, 2023, 03:13 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by dragline
I decided to replace both spindles. Better safe than sorry.
Good call.
^^x2^^