General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Oil dipstick oil level

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2015, 10:54 AM

Oil dipstick oil level

I have a 65-442 the dip stick reads from bottom to top SE SE ENGINE OIL /
I check oil and it is approximately at the G in engine .. Question is, is this full enough or is the / line full mark?
Old October 3rd, 2015, 11:42 AM

next time you change the oil. check and mark a new full line on the dipstick id it varies very far from the original mark is. for some reason Olds made many different length dipsticks and dipstick tubes so unless you check yours after an oil change and know exactly how much oil is in it and re-mark the full line, its impossible to believe the reading you get. I had one once that with 5 quarts of fresh oil in the engine the dipstick still read like it was at least two qts low.On that motor i cut about an inch off the top of the tube to make it read on the full mark.
Old October 3rd, 2015, 12:45 PM
Administrator

I will put a V notch just deep enough to get my thumbnail in on both narrow sides of the dipstick with a file to mark the level after an oil and filter change.
Old October 3rd, 2015, 03:44 PM
Olds Fever

It would seem that you have an incorrect oil indicator and/or guide tube....

I have never seen a factory oil indicator that uses "LETTERS" to determine the appropriate engine oil level..... Other then the word "FULL" in conjunction with some cross hatch markings....
Old October 3rd, 2015, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
It would seem that you have an incorrect oil indicator and/or guide tube....

I have never seen a factory oil indicator that uses "LETTERS" to determine the appropriate engine oil level..... Other then the word "FULL" in conjunction with some cross hatch markings....
X2, API designation in 1965 was SC I think, and it wasn't on the stick. SE designation didn't start 'til 1971. So...you have the wrong stick or a replacement stick, and maybe the wrong tube. If you mark it like other people said, it will be fine.
Old October 4th, 2015, 07:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Chesrown 67 OAI
next time you change the oil. check and mark a new full line on the dipstick id it varies very far from the original mark is. for some reason Olds made many different length dipsticks and dipstick tubes so unless you check yours after an oil change and know exactly how much oil is in it and re-mark the full line, its impossible to believe the reading you get. I had one once that with 5 quarts of fresh oil in the engine the dipstick still read like it was at least two qts low.On that motor i cut about an inch off the top of the tube to make it read on the full mark.
To elaborate slightly on Tweed's suggestion, drain the oil, change the filter, refill with five quarts. Start and run the engine for a few minutes to fill the filter. Shut off and let sit for about ten minutes to let the oil drain back into the pan. NOW check the dipstick and scribe a mark at the fill line. Since you know the engine has five quarts in it, this is the most accurate dipstick mark you'll ever get.
Old October 4th, 2015, 08:12 AM

Thanks Joe, youve said it best!
Old October 4th, 2015, 08:19 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Walterdurbin
... the dip stick reads from bottom to top SE SE ENGINE OIL...
Here is a picture of the dipstick from the 1967 CSM (I believe '65 was the same):

Note that there are seven letters stamped into the dipstick: "ADD" "FULL"

You can certainly re-mark your dipstick, as noted in the posts above, and it will do the job well for the rest of your engine's life, but you may also wish to get the correct dipstick.

- Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1967 dipstick.jpg (57.3 KB, 666 views)
Old September 9th, 2019, 05:44 PM

http://www.fusickautomotiveproducts.com/

Might have too