Trimming Auto Console for 4 Speed

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2024, 05:15 PM

Trimming Auto Console for 4 Speed

I've got a 1970 Console and a plastic shifter hump from OPGI that I'm getting ready to install in my 1970 Cutlass. I have the Oldsmobile Tech Bulletin showing how to cut the topside of the console (which I haven't done yet) and the saddle piece to go on top. I'll be installing a Tremec TKX with the shifter in the A body position.

When I mock it up, the console seems to sit really (extremely) high on the shifter hump and tends to go off centre too much. The location for the shifter hump seems pretty obvious matching it up to the contour in the body. Console brackets, carpet and sound deadener aren't installed yet and I'm sure that will help a bit with the space between the tunnel and the console, but still not enough. The body is still on the rotisserie so I'm not getting too heavy into this task yet, just a bit of preplanning but I do need to cut the hole for the shifter before dropping the body back on the frame.

Is there supposed to be more trimming than just what's shown in the Tech sheet, or do I have the wrong hump?

Old March 9th, 2024, 05:22 PM

Interesting. What console are you going to install? In the '68s, that shifter "hump" you show is not installed if an actual '68 {64-69) 4-speed console is installed. It may be different for 1970, but I've never seen that "stand alone" hump used with a console.
Old March 9th, 2024, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by BackInTheGame
Interesting. What console are you going to install? In the '68s, that shifter "hump" you show is not installed if an actual '68 {64-69) 4-speed console is installed. It may be different for 1970, but I've never seen that "stand alone" hump used with a console.
It's a stock 70-72 Console for Automatic Transmission. Maybe the hump isn't used with the console?

Old March 9th, 2024, 05:54 PM

The console also gets trimmed on the left side of the lower section. The dimensions are shown in the assembly manual.

Old March 9th, 2024, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Loaded68W34
The console also gets trimmed on the left side of the lower section. The dimensions are shown in the assembly manual.
Fantastic, the missing piece! Thank you

I thought I had an assembly manual but I don't. Just the two volume reprint Service Manual and Fisher Service Manual. Are there more details provided, or just the image you posted?
Old March 10th, 2024, 01:55 PM

That page has the image I posted and an image of the top side showing where to cut the hole for the insert.