72 Olds Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old November 6th, 2009, 08:22 PM

72 Olds Cutlass

This is a copy of my first post on this site.... trying to figure out how to post and start threads... I'm in the process of restoring the old family car I bought new in 1972 and then taught 2 kids to drive in and sent off to college finally in the 80s. I thas been through a lot and is now getting restored... 2 door, hardtop, engine V-8 350, rebuilt with good trans and suspension.... so now it has finally come home to get some body work, only 3 panels with a couple rust spots and small dent in one door .... I have new weatherstripping and just got a set of side molding clips to put the molding back on once we remove it to do some body work and paint..
Only missing one small piece of molding. The small piece of molding on the right rear fender, between the wheel well and the door. looked on ebay and other sites but can't find.. so I have joined this site hoping to find mine missing piece... can anyone help??
Old November 6th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Cutlass Lover

I like you already!! Nothing like a good old 72!!! Welcome to the site!! Have you tried Fusicks? I don't have my catalog in front of me, but I know they sell some different moldings. Post some pics when you can... we love pics!!
Old November 6th, 2009, 09:36 PM

Talking Welcome to CO

Sounds like you have a real family car thats been through a lot. Shows how good of a car the Olds is. I'll copy this post to the Cutlass forum, hopefully some one there can help you out
Old November 7th, 2009, 08:52 AM

Thanks for the welcome Cutlassgal and citcapp. Yes the Cutlass has been through the mill and could probably tell some stories I would not want to hear, but it jsut keeps on going!!..... I will post some pics later today... a little bit more rust than Cutlassgal's but it won't be long.... I was ask on another form if it is a surpeme or S and it is the Cutlass S. Have not looked at Fusicks. Can I just google and find it? Thasnk for the help..
Richey
Old November 7th, 2009, 11:22 AM

Here she is in all her glory!!
Old November 7th, 2009, 11:27 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Sweet A body.

Sure she could use a little TLC but hey, so could I.

Glad you joined up.
Old November 7th, 2009, 11:27 AM

Missing side molding that I'm looking for!!

Old November 7th, 2009, 11:30 AM

I tried loading my picture in the gallery but they siad the size exceeded that allowed, wasn't what I need to do. so I jsut copied afew here..
Old November 7th, 2009, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by richeyb
I tried loading my picture in the gallery but they siad the size exceeded that allowed, wasn't what I need to do. so I jsut copied afew here..

Bummer

Ya might as well start looking for some bolt on ceneter caps for those SS II wheels while ya search fer the chrome piece.
Old November 7th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by richeyb

Here she is in all her glory!!
Hey Richey! Welcome to CO.
You've definitely got some work ahead of you, and the results are 150% worthwhile....you're also right about one thing. It's almost like having an energizer bunny. These beasts just keep going and going and going...LOL What kind of options does your car have? Is it a 350 or 455 engine? You'll want to look carefully at any rust around the vinyl roof moldings, it can be deadly. Judging from the fenders, you should be able to do patch panels. The quarters look like they're in pretty good shape. My car is also a 72 Cutlass S. I ditched the body side moldings because it interfered with the side decaling I put on. I wouldn't trade it for the world. It's a great car to drive and show off.
2008_0314MILLER0036.jpg?t=1257622810

2008_0314MILLER0007-Copy.jpg?t=1257622874

Yes, you have a Cutlass S if all the body emblems on your car are original. The styliized S just behind the Cutlass emblem is an indicator. Also look at your VIN and post it. We can give you more information about what your car is from that. If it was a Cutlass Supreme it would look like this:
71CS.jpg?t=1257622417
You can see the different body styling on the roof line and quarter panels.
Old November 7th, 2009, 12:09 PM

Jamesbo The bolt on center caps are on my want list. I have one in the trunk, but do need 3... The decallng looks great but I was wanting to go back to original... It is the basic 350 with auto trans.. My plan is to stay with same color green and go with a vinyl top, orignal but maybe change the color to a shade of green or brown instead of white..? Good tip on checking edge of vinyl and windows. It is definitley going to take a little work along edges. Especially along windshield frame. One of my firends a excellent bodyman, felt pretty confident it wouldn't be that bad to fix... time and $s will tell..
Old November 7th, 2009, 12:27 PM

I'd stay close friends with him. He could save ya a bundle.
Old November 7th, 2009, 12:50 PM

Here's the link to Fusick http://www.fusick.com/. Great company to do business with. Having a friend thats a bodyman is a plus and that he is willing to help you out is a great bonus
Old November 7th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Cutlass Lover

She will be beautiful again one day!! Don't you just love 'em!!
Old November 7th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Past Administrator

Richie, if I missed it in another thread, welcome to CO. That car will look so nice by the time you finish it. I owned a '72 Cutlass many years ago that started out about that same condition and got it looking presentable, not show worthy but a real nice looker. Good luck.
Old November 8th, 2009, 02:24 PM

Don't plan on hitting the shows, I'm just hoping for road worthy and looking like something I'm proud to have owned for...hmmmm hard to add up the years, just since 72.. 36+ years...
Old November 9th, 2009, 09:47 AM

Welcome to the site.That's a great year to restore.
Old November 9th, 2009, 10:04 AM
" Hoo yah "

Nice car bud!! I would forget about the vinyl top though, problems with rusting will occur with the vinyl top.

1972 Cutlass S

Old November 9th, 2009, 06:05 PM

My plan right now is to take care of the rust, pull out old putty job, reputty, fill in couple dents, etc and do a good undercoat, and then finsh off with a vinyl... Agree long term vinyl tops leads to rust, espeically in a damp climate, lucky to live in a high desert... just trying to get back to the start.....
Old November 9th, 2009, 06:57 PM

What a great project. Welcome
Old November 10th, 2009, 07:33 AM

Pictures showing Pre restoration

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunfight...IGMrqP585CAKA# here is a web page with a few more pictures of my project!!
Old November 10th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Cutlass Lover

Aahhh... bless her heart!! She's going to require some time and patience, huh? I see true beauty within, though!! My first 72 was kind of a forest green color with the same green brocade interior as The Prettiest one has!
Old November 26th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Ritchie,
Don't know if you got your molding. Take a look at this auction on ebay. For the price he's asking, this is a steal. http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...E:B:SS:CA:1123
Old November 27th, 2009, 06:26 AM

Hi there richeb,
I just joined the site recently as well. Great bunch of people here who are willing to help.

I have a 70 Cutlass S myself. It seems that this rust around the window moldings is very common. I got some of the same on mine.

I found some center wheel caps, which don't fit my car. Don't know if they will work for you, but they are availabe.

Tony
Old November 27th, 2009, 08:25 AM

Wink 72 Cutlass Molding

Originally Posted by Allan R
Ritchie,
Don't know if you got your molding. Take a look at this auction on ebay. For the price he's asking, this is a steal. http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...E:B:SS:CA:1123
Alan Thanks, I have found my missing molding and sent Ron's Classic Cutlass a check... hope to have to have it back by the time we start finishing up/
Also ordered several new clips to help secure the molding back to its original state through Fusicks so Thanks to al who helped me with my search.
Richey
Old November 27th, 2009, 08:28 AM

Cutlass S wheel hubs

Originally Posted by Tony Cutlass
Hi there richeb,
I just joined the site recently as well. Great bunch of people here who are willing to help.

I have a 70 Cutlass S myself. It seems that this rust around the window moldings is very common. I got some of the same on mine.

I found some center wheel caps, which don't fit my car. Don't know if they will work for you, but they are availabe.

Tony
Tony Thanks, I have found a couple in the trunk, so now just 2 short. can you post or email pictures or what you have? White Camero had mentioned having some also but stillhaven't seen his pictures?

Richey
Old November 27th, 2009, 08:47 AM

Windshield rust

Originally Posted by Tony Cutlass
Hi there richeb,

Tony
The rust at the bottom of the windshield was a real surprise once we took the windshield molding off. The rust along the driver side post was easy to see and throw on some bondo but the amount of rust at the bottom was not expected, don't now if that is normal with leaky windshields but this one had been cracked for many years and obviously had leaked for probably 20+ years??

You can see the rust along the windshield wiper post. pretty good 1 inch gap of missing metal at spots...

Added some fiberglass to give it a little strength and stability to the wipers? The support for the windshield itself seems pretty strong..and all the fiberglass will be under the large moldng strip....

Richey
Old November 27th, 2009, 03:29 PM

Yeah I have rust in the same place on my 70. I did see on The Parts Place they have a replacement upper dash panel. I hoping that will fix it.

http://www.thepartsplaceinc.com
Old November 28th, 2009, 04:33 AM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
Yeah I have rust in the same place on my 70. I did see on The Parts Place they have a replacement upper dash panel. I hoping that will fix it.

http://www.thepartsplaceinc.com

Before you order this piece, call or email parts place and ask if this piece is actually for a CUTLASS! I think you will find out it is for a 68-70 EL CAMINO! It cost me $120. to find this out and I'd like to prevent other people from finding out the hard way!
Old November 28th, 2009, 06:34 AM

They said they are different parts for the 68-72 Cutlass part #BP5542T and the 68-72 El Camino is part #BP4724E
Old November 29th, 2009, 05:55 PM

Looks like a great project there! Keep the pics and updates coming!
Old November 29th, 2009, 07:15 PM

On going restoration

Thanks for the part number but timing has forced us to improvise we're on a three weekend blitz to finish the body and paint and after weekend #2 we're tired but on schedule with body work complete and several coats of undercoat applied before supper tonight!!!!
Had to go with the fiberglass fix on the dash panel and finshed it off with a rubber under body spray to waterproof the area from further rust....

here's a day by day progress of pics.....
Day 1 removing the molding...

and discovering the rust spots,

Fabricated a couple patches

Finished Day 2

Day Three--Sanding, Sanding, Sanding

and more sanding

Start of day 4

more sanding

Masking finished

Built paint booth

Uppercoat finished!! End of Day 4!!!!!!!!

More sanding and then finally Paint!!!!! next weekend

Thanks for the interest
Richey

Last edited by richeyb; November 30th, 2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old November 30th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Past Administrator

This has become a cool project thread, going to move it....
Old November 30th, 2009, 05:07 PM

Vinyl Top Help

Thanks for the comment Dan, I'm now planning ahead after the final paint dries for my next step. I'm wanting to go back to the original vinyl top... looking around our area I just can't find someone local that does that for a reasonable price and in a timely manner...
How hard is it to accomplish for a first timer? several web sites show how to get it smooth but can't seem to find one that shows how to finish the project--the edges... or triming down a universal top
I found a very reasonable order site, not sure of quality tomcotops.com. Right now my windshield is out as part of my restoration project and I had planned to leave it out until the vinyl was put on to help with installation. (not sure this is necessary??)
Anyone have any thoughts and tips on installing a vinyle tops??

Richey
PS Understand most restorations don't go with the vinyl top....

Last edited by richeyb; November 30th, 2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old December 8th, 2009, 05:51 PM

Day 5,6 & 7 of restoration

Trying to finish exterior restoration and paint by day 6 runs over due to dust....

Day 5 starts with sanding and masking

Touch up with primer

Sanded it all dwonwith 500 and 1200

Final wash with solvent and air

Paint 8-4-1
Old December 8th, 2009, 06:22 PM
GM Enthusiast

Great looking project Richeyb. Keep the pictures coming!
Old December 8th, 2009, 06:37 PM

Day 5,6 & 7 of restoration

The Aussie's (master painter) goal is to finish exterior restoration and paint by day 6 runs but ran over one day due to dust and temperature in the booth....

Day 5 starts with sanding and masking

Sanded it all down with 500 and 1200

Final wash with Max Solve and air

Paint 8-4-1

Back to original Sequoia Green!

After three coats looking good-except for a couple problem areas due to temperature and dust on the boot

Day 6 scouring and preping for final coats

Ready for final coats

Final 3 coats

Finished with 6 glossy coats with a deep shine!!

Repairs and fabrications look new!

Ended day 6 feathering the edges

Start of day SEVEN

Putting it back together

Adding the molding

Polishing out the dust!

looking great at the end of day 7!!

I got a chance of a life time to help with a 7 day miracle as my old rust bucket turned into a beauty!!!
Next comes the roof, windshield and then the interior!! More to come this winter!! Hope to be rolling down the road by Spring!!
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:30 AM

Looks great and great pics.Please keep us posted on your project
Old December 9th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Way to go Richeyb!
Looking really good. I just noticed - you've got cruise on that car. Nice option. Other thing I wanted to know is about the hood louvers. You've done them right matching the color of the car. That's how it was done in 72 on these cars. What is the process you used? Paint and light sanding for the highlights after?

My car also got the "deluxe" treatment with 3 coats of clear coat over top. I was looking at the picture of the trunk area. You've got the quarter panel trim piece taped off. I assume you're putting the trunk stainless back on. When I started dry fitting mine I found that the "extra layers" of paint and clear make the deck lid "too thick" to accept the molding as is. I'm debating whether to expand the trim or lightly sand down the edge of the deck and polish it again before the molding goes back on. Can you check with your friend and find out the best thing to do. If you've already put your trim back on, I'd love to hear back from you on this.

You really have a gorgeous car, and I love the color. That is going to really pop in the bright sunshine. Only thing I don't like about dark colors is trying to keep them clean.

As you've probably already found out, these cars are absolutely wonderful to drive. You'll have plenty to do over the winter doing the detail work inside and under the hood. Great photo story also btw.
Old December 9th, 2009, 10:01 AM

You and your helpers are doing an excellent job it's really looking nice.
Sure would like to see a picture of her sitting outside with the sun shining on her.Bet you'll need sun glasses when you do that.