1963 Oldsmobile 98

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2007, 08:25 PM

1963 Oldsmobile 98

This is our olds 98. Its been in the family for about 30 years. My father bought it of some family that barely drove and hes babied and taken care of it ever since. If anyone has any info on this car, i know their were serveral types built that year and im not sure which one we have. Thanks
Ive also posted more pics on this site I believe the link works
http://www.motortopia.com/dionysios/cars
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Image1.jpg (80.9 KB, 109 views)
Old June 11th, 2007, 06:10 AM

Very nice car! It is in amazing condition.

You have a 1963 98 Luxury Sedan, which was the top four door 98 model, model no. 63-3947. Olds built 19,252 of these cars. Base price was $4,332 and the curb wieght was 4,411 lbs. It appears your car has a Sahara Mist code T exterior with a Platinum code 391 interior. Interesting option combo. I'm a bit surprised that it doesn't have air, but then maybe that wasn't as important in Canada as it might have been down south.

I take it the 45 player is aftermarket. Does it work?
Old June 11th, 2007, 08:54 AM

Paul, you're right. My bad, but it's still sweeeet!
Old June 11th, 2007, 05:02 PM

the 45 came with the car when we bought it. Yes it does work. does sound like the sound systems of today though. everything on the car is original except a belt, 2 mufflers and a rad hose. Do you know if their is a site where i can find out how many of these cars exist ?
Old June 12th, 2007, 05:35 AM

I don't think there is any way of knowing how many exist now. You could ask the OCA how many members say they own one, but not every owner is a member of the OCA. State and provincial registrations are probably impossible to search, and don't break it down by model, so you'd have to search by VIN, which you probably can't do unless you're in law enforcement. Anyway, that would not include cars that are stored and unregistered as I think many states purge records after a certain period of time; I think in Michigan it was something like seven years last time I checked. I assume the same would hold true in Canada. Then we have the cars that turn up in places like Australia....

So, if you want my guess, I would be surprised if of 2,500 the 19,252 of that particular model made existed today, probably less. Yours could easily be the nicest unrestored example still in existence. Of course, you say something like that and who konws? A couple of months ago no fewer than three different '64 98 Custom Sports Coupes came up on eBay all within a few weeks of each other. Probably won't see another one for two years.
Old September 24th, 2012, 09:05 PM

I have one, same options. Not anywhere near as good of condition but working on it. It still runs but is parked while I am doing the bodywork and interior on it. I am hoping when it is done I hope it will look as good as yours does. I would like to find origional upholstery for it but have not found it anywhere and I don't really want to order something that might fit but won't look right in the vehicle. Downside of a barn find I guess. Just so you know there are more of these cars around but yes they are becoming a rarity.

Mike
Old September 25th, 2012, 06:05 AM
Oldsdruid

www.smsautofabrics.com Not inexpensive but they've come thru for me several times. Give them the trim code off the body data plate underhood and they'll send a sample. If not the exact match it will be very close.

1963 was first year for the Luxury Sedan as well as the Custom Sports Coupe. Mighty impressive and exclusive cars even by Ninety Eight standards.
Old September 25th, 2012, 07:33 AM
"me somebody" site member

Exquisitely beautiful car.
Old September 25th, 2012, 11:25 AM

Beautiful car!!! I remember when these came out in the fall of 1962. My folks had a 1960 Buick Invicta 4 door hardtop. We went to the Olds-Cadillac dealer to look at the new cars. This model was the first new Olds that had just arrived. It had a tilt wheel. The first car I had ever seen with a tilt wheel. It was a 98 just like yours. I always thought the 61, 62 and 63 Olds were much better looking that the Buicks of those same years.
Old September 26th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Way to dig up a thread from 2007!!! LOL
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:49 AM
"me somebody" site member

Peope are encouraged every day to review old threads to see if they can get an answer to a question, rather than crate a new thread asking the same old question for the m-teenth time. My guess is the poster who resurrected this thread did a search on the model and year of his own car, found the thread, and felt it a logical place to ask about sourcing interior fabric. He even got an answer. Hilarious.

It is true, I missed this thtead (and the car) the first time around. Glad I caught the re-run.
Old September 27th, 2012, 12:26 PM

I see nothing wrong at all with, and actually prefer, reviving an old thread when the subject matter is related/relevant. As pointed, in this instance the sought after answer was provided, even though the thread was a mere half-decade old at the time of revival!