1966 Ninety Eight Shift Linkage Bushing

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2023, 04:06 PM

1966 Ninety Eight Shift Linkage Bushing

Hello all!

I recently purchased a 66 Ninety Eight. I was poking around underneath the car and noticed a loose shift linkage rod. It looks like some kind of bushing is missing. Picture below for reference.

Does anyone know the part number for this part or where to get it?

Thank you!

-Chris

Old June 6th, 2023, 08:31 PM

You may be able to find a working part looking under Chevies, Caddies, Buicks or Pontiacs, but you can gin up something that will work short/medium term from very short length of rubber hose. It won’t rotate as well, but it will give you a little more precision as compared to an empty hole.

If you have a good hardware store nearby, particularly with a big Hillman display, take the frame bracket and rod off the car and go get some rubber parts that will allow the rod to rotate smoothly.

Another way to go is to polish, really polish, that horizontal rotating rod and get a teflon or brass sleeve with a just-slightly-larger inner diameter, the put that whole assembly inside a bushing or secured rubber hose. The idea there is the rod would rotate smoothly inside the metal “bearing” which would be secured in place by the hose. Or bushing.

At the end of the day you want that horizontal rod rotating smoothly inside or with some kind of isolating element which allows the engine/transmission to move just a little independent of the frame to which the bracket is bolted. Look for correct ID (inner diameter) or OD (outer diameter) bushings, plumbing washers, etc. You might have fun getting creative.

There are lots of options, just play around with combinations until you’re happy with the shifter action. And remember they probably weren’t the most precise things from the factory.

Final suggestion for these and the throttle parts - once you have them out, clean & grease them to discover where the wear is, or at least to make the work and look a bit better than they have for 56 years.

Cheers
Chris
Old June 7th, 2023, 04:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Here ya go. And yes, this is the correct kit despite the fact that it is called a "backdrive linkage" kit. The white plastic washer fits into the frame bracket from the trans side, followed by a flat washer and the spring. Then the rod fits into that.

https://4speedconversions-com.3dcart...e_rebuild.html

Last edited by joe_padavano; June 7th, 2023 at 04:29 AM.
Old June 7th, 2023, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by cfair
You may be able to find a working part looking under Chevies, Caddies, Buicks or Pontiacs, but you can gin up something that will work short/medium term from very short length of rubber hose. It won’t rotate as well, but it will give you a little more precision as compared to an empty hole.

If you have a good hardware store nearby, particularly with a big Hillman display, take the frame bracket and rod off the car and go get some rubber parts that will allow the rod to rotate smoothly.

Another way to go is to polish, really polish, that horizontal rotating rod and get a teflon or brass sleeve with a just-slightly-larger inner diameter, the put that whole assembly inside a bushing or secured rubber hose. The idea there is the rod would rotate smoothly inside the metal “bearing” which would be secured in place by the hose. Or bushing.

At the end of the day you want that horizontal rod rotating smoothly inside or with some kind of isolating element which allows the engine/transmission to move just a little independent of the frame to which the bracket is bolted. Look for correct ID (inner diameter) or OD (outer diameter) bushings, plumbing washers, etc. You might have fun getting creative.

There are lots of options, just play around with combinations until you’re happy with the shifter action. And remember they probably weren’t the most precise things from the factory.

Final suggestion for these and the throttle parts - once you have them out, clean & grease them to discover where the wear is, or at least to make the work and look a bit better than they have for 56 years.

Cheers
Chris
Hey Chris! Thank you for the great reply. I think I'm going to try the kit that Joe suggested and if that doesn't work out I'll try your suggestions and see what I can figure out.

Thanks again!

-Chris
Old June 7th, 2023, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Here ya go. And yes, this is the correct kit despite the fact that it is called a "backdrive linkage" kit. The white plastic washer fits into the frame bracket from the trans side, followed by a flat washer and the spring. Then the rod fits into that.

Thanks for that info and the link, Joe. Now that I know what it's called, I went to eBay to see if I could find something cheaper or with free shipping. I found this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/191064904792

The only issue I see is, both your link and the eBay link say 69-72. Do you think they'd work with my 66 98?

Thank you again!

-Chris
Old June 7th, 2023, 06:32 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by IHChris
Thanks for that info and the link, Joe. Now that I know what it's called, I went to eBay to see if I could find something cheaper or with free shipping. I found this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/191064904792

The only issue I see is, both your link and the eBay link say 69-72. Do you think they'd work with my 66 98?

Thank you again!

-Chris
Which is why I wrote this the first time:

And yes, this is the correct kit

Most vendors don't recognize that Olds actually built cars other than the 1969-72 442s. These parts were used pretty much on every column shift car from 1965 through 1990. I used this kit on my 1985 Delta 88, for example.
Old June 8th, 2023, 12:15 AM

When in doubt, or caught among differing opinions, you’ll never go wrong with Joe P.’s advice.

I’ll have to look up that kit myself!

Cheers
cf
Old June 8th, 2023, 01:14 PM

Most vendors don't recognize that Olds actually built cars other than the 1969-72 442s. These parts were used pretty much on every column shift car from 1965 through 1990. I used this kit on my 1985 Delta 88, for example.
Thanks, Joe. I suppose I glanced over where you said that. I went ahead and ordered the kit. Should be here next week.

Thank you so much!

-Chris
Old June 8th, 2023, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by cfair
When in doubt, or caught among differing opinions, you’ll never go wrong with Joe P.’s advice.

I’ll have to look up that kit myself!

Cheers
cf
Perfect! Thank you!

-Chris
Old June 21st, 2023, 08:34 PM

Well... I can confirm that this is NOT the right kit. This kit is for the 2 bolt cupped bracket. The spring keeps the bushing in the cup. Attached below is a picture of the corresponding bracket as well as a diagram showing the bracket.

Here are pictures of my 4 bolt flat bracket. There is no cup for the bushing to sit in. This kit will NOT work with this style bracket. Maybe the vendors and manufacturers didn't list my year because it's not compatible. Who would have thought...

If anyone needs this kit, I have a brand new one available.

-Chris

Last edited by IHChris; June 21st, 2023 at 08:46 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2023, 07:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Chris, I've never seen the four bolt bracket. My 67 Delta has the two bolt and this kit absolutely works. Since I gave you bad info, I'll take that kit off your hands. PM me with total cost including shipping to zip code 20180.