1976 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Right Hand Drive In Australia

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2013, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Kaline
Nick: Do yourself a favor and buy an official 1976 Oldsmobile service manual. These are your best resource for reassembling your car. I found a few used manual for sale on Amazon.com for $10-20 USD.

Next, get the car running & driveable. Assess any rust and bad mechanicals before you start to work on cosmetics. You don't want to spend time & money making it look nice only to find it has structural rust!

If there is a specific missing trim bit that members on this forum cannot help with, buy an issue of Hemming Motor News and call used parts suppliers here in the US. These cars are getting hard to find, but with diligence you can track many components down. Also set up an alert on eBay for "1976 Oldsmobile 98" so you'll get notifications when specific parts are listed. This is how I found the hood trim for my 1966 Buick LeSabre 400!

Hey yea got the bibles! yea the car is driving but yea plan is to strip it and get the body good and paint it. Im definatly going to look into this Hemming Motor News! that sounds good also about ebay! Thanks for the help!
Old March 20th, 2013, 03:12 AM

What Side Mirrors?

After taking a closer inspection of my side mirrors i have realized and with the help of John (Thanks John) that someone has put on some JTC side mirrors which i can't find on the internet, but their are electric unsure if they work!

Anyone else had anything like this or is this only a Silly RHD come from Japan now in Australia sort of issue?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2.jpg (52.1 KB, 16 views)
3.jpg (67.0 KB, 18 views)
4.jpg (84.6 KB, 14 views)
5.jpg (49.4 KB, 15 views)
6.jpg (47.0 KB, 16 views)
Old March 20th, 2013, 04:43 AM

Hey Nick,

Thanks for the pics. Those are definitely not the correct mirrors but I guess with the car being RHD, it does make sense to use electric mirrors since the standard controls really wouldn't work correctly. The LH mirror could still mount and control the same way but the RH side would not control as it should. The "joystick" for the movement normally mounts on the left hand side of the glove box but since your glove box is now on the left side of the car, the cable would never reach it's mount. I replied to your last private message a few days ago. Let me know about the door panel.

John
Old March 25th, 2013, 02:52 AM

Thanks John, can't wait to see the pics of what its suppose to have!
Old March 25th, 2013, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by nickoff1
Hey Nick,

Sorry I didn't get to the pics this weekend. I'll do it as soon as I can for you.
Did you see the link I sent you with the pictures of the door panels ?

John
Old March 25th, 2013, 11:28 AM

Hey Nick,

I found this picture on my computer that should give you a pretty good idea of the remote mounting for the RH mirror. It's almost out of the shot but you can still make it out. It's just to the left of the clock. The LH mirror control is simply mounted to the control panel on the door. That should be the same on your car other than being replaced with electric mirrors. I hope this helps a bit. If not, I can still take more specific photos.
John
Attached Images
3-25-2013 2-24-15 PM.jpg (46.4 KB, 19 views)
Old March 25th, 2013, 03:30 PM

I see the hole on my car! maybe just what the mirrors should look like, i found these in australia they sort of common http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290881799...84.m1423.l2649 there off a ford they may suit. Yea saw the trim ill get the rear right hand side one for sure! if you have any spare mirrors for sale, if i can get a picture i might buy they too! Thanks for the help John, also regarding dual exhaust, is there a way without modifying the trans cross member
Old March 25th, 2013, 05:25 PM

I see the hole on my car! maybe just what the mirrors should look like, i found these in australia they sort of common http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290881799...84.m1423.l2649 there off a ford they may suit. Yea saw the trim ill get the rear right hand side one for sure! if you have any spare mirrors for sale, if i can get a picture i might buy they too! Thanks for the help John, also regarding dual exhaust, is there a way without modifying the trans cross member
Hey Nick, I can probably get you a pair of mirrors but I have to look through my parts to see what I have. You would have to have a good exhaust shop try to work something up that could work with the existing crossmember. I'll get you pictures of a pair of mirrors as soon as I can.

John
Old March 25th, 2013, 06:03 PM

Thanks John sounds like a plan! then we can work on shipping to Aus!
Old July 5th, 2013, 03:51 AM

Amber in 76 98 tail light?

I was getting the car ready, putting all the parts together to take the car to the paint shop when i doubled taked on the tail lights, they have amber! thats awesome because in Australia we have amber so i looked at the other 98's on google and they have all red? maybe my car is factory right hand drive?
Attached Images
1.jpg (60.4 KB, 22 views)
2.jpg (78.7 KB, 18 views)
3.jpg (52.8 KB, 22 views)
7.jpg (94.4 KB, 25 views)
Old July 5th, 2013, 03:53 AM

Sorry also thats my gf mad max car, thought i might throw it in!
Old July 5th, 2013, 04:11 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Ahhhh... The last of the V8 Interceptors. Nice, mate.

As for the yellow taillight lenses, nope, never seen one.

- Eric
Old July 5th, 2013, 05:55 AM

I was getting the car ready, putting all the parts together to take the car to the paint shop when i doubled taked on the tail lights, they have amber! thats awesome because in Australia we have amber so i looked at the other 98's on google and they have all red? maybe my car is factory right hand drive?
Hey Nick, wow that is yet another thing I have never seen! Much like your speedometer, these taillights must have been made for cars that were going to be exported. I can just about guarantee your car is not a factory RH drive. I'd say it was definitely converted.

These taillights have me very curious now as to whether or not there are more of these floating around somewhere. They don't look like something that somebody custom made and so they look like an original part....so interesting!! I'd almost like to have a set of these. I'm guessing if your top section is amber, then that would be your turn signal?? If so, that means your car is wired differently because normally the whole light is the taillight/brake light and turn signal so in order to separate that, it would have to be rewired a bit.

Nice mad max ride. I see the bumpers for the 98 sitting there as well.
Old July 8th, 2013, 03:51 AM

its cool for me coz in australia the amber is good, but not good if i need a new lense!
Old July 29th, 2013, 05:15 PM

AC Belt ate my bottom radiator hose, because the steering box has been moved to the right the radiator has been modified thus a standard hose doesn't fit just way TOO BIG! haha. Ill post some pictures tonight!
Old July 30th, 2013, 05:57 AM

AC Belt ate my bottom radiator hose, because the steering box has been moved to the right the radiator has been modified thus a standard hose doesn't fit just way TOO BIG! haha. Ill post some pictures tonight!
Hey Nick,
That stinks but I'm sure you can work around it. Did you ever get my email? I never heard back from you. How is the body work coming?
John
Old August 12th, 2013, 02:12 AM

Finally got a hose to fit and panels taken off!

Hey, am i the only person that has a radiator with this extension on it?

Also i put a after market temp gauge on and was reading 200 but worked out its coz its more in the block so i tested the hoses temp and they sat right.

Also i took off my nose cone, bonet and left guard but im stuck on the right the bottom bolt towards the door spins has anyone got any easy solutions to this damm bolt! ive allready cut my finger by try to hold it while i turn it!
Attached Images
1.jpg (321.6 KB, 17 views)
2.jpg (248.5 KB, 17 views)
3.jpg (271.9 KB, 17 views)
4.jpg (328.7 KB, 16 views)
5.jpg (363.5 KB, 19 views)
Old September 9th, 2013, 11:05 PM