63 98 in junkyard

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2014, 04:48 PM

63 98 in junkyard

I found a junkyard advertising on craigslist a 63 98 in Philly. So a friend and I drove up there last sat to take a look.

Engine looks like it is probably original. Air cleaner has "ultra high compression" sticker on it. Looks like an older q-jet, and the waterpump doesn't turn. The trans looks like my 64 trans. The guy who owns the place told me they are both good, as they drove it around. Quoted me $450 for the trans alone. I didn't ask about the engine. The guy who sold me my 64 told me to keep an eye out and buy the transmissions, as they aren't very common anymore.

I ended up only grabbing the wiper arms/blades and the bumper jack. It was pretty well beat/gone over, although some trim and whatnot was still there.

My gut is telling me that the price on the trans is kinda high, but I have nothing to judge it on. I don't know if it is worth it to go back up there and get the drivetrain, let alone anything else.

Thoughts?
Adam
Old February 5th, 2014, 05:19 PM

I would wonder what kind of condition the drive line is actually in...he can tell you anything, but how can you verify? And the water pump is seized??? I would be leery. In deciding, I would want to know what it would cost to rebuild my stuff vs. paying that guy, removing it all, and hauling it home (and not knowing it's true condition). I have bought plenty of extra parts over the years for cars I had...the cars are long gone but the parts are still in my basement...my thoughts, Adam...Doug
Old February 6th, 2014, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by aikmanolds
the cars are long gone but the parts are still in my basement...my thoughts, Adam...Doug
Yeah, I know all about that. I'm parting out my 87 Cutlass that got wrecked. And selling off all the parts I have collected over the years has been easier than selling the stuff actually on the car.

The good news is that I don't think that this car is going anywhere for a while. This place seems like the place that keeps the cars around for parts, rather than scraping it.

adam
Old February 6th, 2014, 03:17 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

1PDQ55 is looking for a signal light canceling spring for this car.

- Eric