Front disc removal

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2023, 06:15 PM

Front disc removal

I知 re-doing brakes (front and rear) and have the front caliper removed, now need to get disc off. I知 not finding any videos for my year - though I did read in CSM that I need remove grease cup, cotter pin, nut and washer. Is that it - then disc should come off (obviously May need some gentle love taps with hammer around hub to break free any Rusty connection inside disc).

Thank you.
Old May 7th, 2023, 06:44 PM

Weather forecast: Heavy Fog in Crystal *****! :-D

You'll want to indicate what year and model your car is, and whether or not the brakes are stock or aftermarket. But yes, once the nut and washer are off the hub should come loose.
Old May 7th, 2023, 07:02 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jpilk99
I知 re-doing brakes (front and rear) and have the front caliper removed, now need to get disc off. I知 not finding any videos for my year - though I did read in CSM that I need remove grease cup, cotter pin, nut and washer. Is that it - then disc should come off (obviously May need some gentle love taps with hammer around hub to break free any Rusty connection inside disc).

Thank you.
Assuming you are asking about your 1972 Ninety Eight, the disk and hub are one piece.

Why do you think the CSM is lying? Once you remove the spindle nut and washer, wiggle the disc side-to-side and the outer wheel bearing will start to slide off. Once that's off, just pull the rotor and hub off the spindle. There is no hammering and no rust. The inner bearing will be retained in the hub by the grease seal. This will only become an issue if the wheel bearings are so far gone that they've scored the spindle, but in that case the ear-splitting grinding noises would have given you a clue.
Old May 8th, 2023, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Assuming you are asking about your 1972 Ninety Eight, the disk and hub are one piece.

Why do you think the CSM is lying? Once you remove the spindle nut and washer, wiggle the disc side-to-side and the outer wheel bearing will start to slide off. Once that's off, just pull the rotor and hub off the spindle. There is no hammering and no rust. The inner bearing will be retained in the hub by the grease seal. This will only become an issue if the wheel bearings are so far gone that they've scored the spindle, but in that case the ear-splitting grinding noises would have given you a clue.
I don't think CSM is lying, Ron. For all my disc/rotor/caliper/pad work, only my BMWs have had an extra bolt holding the rotor to the hub. Since I don't see similar on my '72 98, and since the CSM says what it say about the grease cap, nut, pin etc........ I'm just trying to confirm the process since I'm not finding any video ---- that's why I'm asking
Old May 8th, 2023, 08:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

We were fixing these cars long before ZooTube existed. Read the CSM. Again, the rotor and hub are a single casting.

Old May 8th, 2023, 12:36 PM

We were fixing these cars long before ZooTube existed. Read the CSM. Again, the rotor and hub are a single casting.
Hah. I'm not about an hour in, trying to remove the grease/dust cap. Not budging. Copious amounts of penetrating oil. Fine tipped screw driver (being careful not to puncture). Big channel locks. Nothing budges. Any ideas? Heat?

Old May 8th, 2023, 12:54 PM

I GOT IT! Wrangled a standard screw driver in and pryed little by litte, rotating and prying. Got it. Thank you!!!
Old May 8th, 2023, 01:14 PM
Old(s) Fart

It's just a friction fit. Don't be gentle with the screwdriver/wedge.
Old May 8th, 2023, 01:15 PM
Old(s) Fart

By the way, there's also a tool for that.

Old May 12th, 2023, 05:08 PM

By the way, there's also a tool for that.

Oooo, wish I had one of those. But I learned a lot rebuilding everything. Hopefully I did it correctly.
Old May 13th, 2023, 11:26 AM

A putty knife or spackle kife. Is a great tool to open the crack up, on the cap without damage. Loosen all the way around. Then pop off with screwdriver.

Last edited by jmcghee; May 13th, 2023 at 11:29 AM.