Olds 1990 TS Restoration

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2023, 08:35 AM
JKW

Olds 1990 TS Restoration

Follow up on this old TS thread. Looking at a 1990 Touring Sedan. Has anyone restored one? Are bumpers, fender fillers and trim available? TS I’m looking at looks to be average condition with numerous bumps and bruises. Front bumper pushed in, front windshield trim and wheel well trim is messed up. Any more recent info is appreciated. Can’t find much on line but maybe someone has sources? Love to find one in top condition?
Kent

Originally Posted by meoff
Are FWD 98's discussed in here or does anyone know of a good touring sedan forum? I just re-acquired my old 1990 touring sedan and it needs a little love and parts before I repaint and give to the wife for a sunny day driver. I have my 70 cutlass but she always loved the touring sedan as a daily driver. Any help greatly appreciated!
Old July 4th, 2023, 08:50 AM

Kent, I moved your post to a new thread. This will be better than resurrecting an old thread.

To answer your question, there are no parts remanufactured for the Oldsmobile 88s and 98s in these years. You'll have to find body parts, trim pieces and interior from a parts car. That being said, these cars show up in the salvage yard from time to time. Also, be aware that Oldsmobile, Buick & Pontiac are all division specific. The only parts that will swap between the 3 are powertrain and some suspension/brake parts.

I suggest you start here:

http://www.car-part.com/
Old July 5th, 2023, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by JkWheels
Looking at a 1990 Touring Sedan
Would love to see some photos of this car. These cars are not commonly discussed on this site, so discussing yours would certainly be interesting.

This car was relatively rare, even when new. Olds made about 62,000 98s of various types (Sedan, Brougham Sedan, and Touring Sedan) in 1990, but only about 5,500 of them were Touring Sedans. TS's were also by far the most expensive at a base price of almost $27,000 versus about $20,000 for the Sedan and about $21,500 for the Brougham Sedan.

If you do get it, good luck!
Old July 9th, 2023, 06:42 AM
JKW

Going up to see it today. Based on pictures will need body work. Don’t think this is the type of car where dents and scrapes add character.
here is link to old add. https://offerup.com/item/detail/1534541528
Let you know what I find.
Kent

PS - Need someone local that can do body work on the side, to make reasonable restoration. I have bunch of cars but don’t do any cosmetically pleasuring body work. Anyone know somebody?
Old July 9th, 2023, 06:54 AM

Good luck!👍

It doesn't look like the body is too damaged. Floor shifter and a moon roof are options on a well equipped car. Does the engine have a supercharger?

Last edited by Olds64; July 9th, 2023 at 06:58 AM.
Old July 9th, 2023, 07:30 AM
JKW

Originally Posted by Olds64
Good luck!👍

It doesn't look like the body is too damaged. Floor shifter and a moon roof are options on a well equipped car. Does the engine have a supercharger?

No that is 1992 I think after body changed and on Buicks
Old July 9th, 2023, 09:53 AM

Kent,

What parts do you need?

What information would you like?

Any more recent info is appreciated. Can’t find much on line but maybe someone has sources? Love to find one in top condition?
Old July 9th, 2023, 01:21 PM
JKW

Originally Posted by Rocketguy
Kent,

What parts do you need?

What information would you like?
Does anyone know how difficult or expensive it is to repair the air suspension in a 1990 olds? Car comes with a pair of air shock to install but not sure that is problem? The pump run constantly so must be a leak. Does new shock correct this? Any info appreciated.
kent
Old July 9th, 2023, 02:22 PM

Don't replace the rear air shocks. If the car drags the back end now because the rear air suspension is bad then get non-air shocks for the back.

I replaced the rear air shocks on the back of my 96 98 a few years ago. Now the rear air suspension sags again. The air shocks I got have a lifetime warranty, but if I remove them I'll pay extra to go to the non-air shocks.

I have the FSM and a spare air suspension pump I got off of a parts car. I actually think it's the air pump that might be bad now. I haven't checked the FSM to see if they have a test for the pump.
Old July 10th, 2023, 06:49 AM

Kent,
It depends on what is wrong with it. It is common for the rear strut air bags to dry out and crack allowing air to escape, and then the compressor runs continuously. I always thought it was a stupid move to allow the compressor to run with the key off, but they did it.

Electronic load leveling is the G87 option, and is great to have; I'd repair it. Summit has new air struts if you want to buy some. If they are old enough for cracking rubber it's definitely time to replace them. If your car isn't rusty they'll be easy to replace, if it is rusty the lower bolts can be murder to remove.

Replacing struts causes need for a four wheel alignment, so you may as well do the front struts too, unless of course they've already been done.

Does anyone know how difficult or expensive it is to repair the air suspension in a 1990 olds? kent
Old July 10th, 2023, 07:38 AM
JKW

New rear struts might not fix problem then if air bag is leaking? Do I understand you correctly? I know the pump works. Good point about front
Old July 10th, 2023, 07:56 AM

Like I said, it depends. The strut is the air bag, if that is what's leaking replacing it will fix it.

If it is a different leak in the air system that is another problem.

A visual inspection of the rear struts will be very telling.

New rear struts might not fix problem then if air bag is leaking? Do I understand you correctly? I know the pump works. Good point about front
Old July 12th, 2023, 10:43 AM
JKW

Olds TS Follow Up

So I saw the TS. It does not have any rust and I would say interior is in good condition. Air suspension is not working and it’s going to need brake work, both systems had issues that would need to be addressed ASAP. Body has no major dents but small dings all around car and I don’t do body work. I like this TS and made an offer but just can’t justify the sale price when it has 147k on it and has some mechanical and body work to do to get it to where I want it to be. To me this is a really cool car if body looks really good. If it looks worn it’s just an old 1990 Delta 98.
Old July 12th, 2023, 11:02 AM

As I recall, the owner is asking $4000, correct? If so, that is probably a decent price for a driver. But; as you say, if it has bashed fenders and needs brake work to be safe then RUN!
Old July 12th, 2023, 11:29 AM
JKW

He’s asking $4500
Old July 13th, 2023, 03:05 AM
JKW

If anyone knows of a Touring Sedan for sal let me know I would be interested.
Kent
Old July 13th, 2023, 06:29 AM

I've been following these cars for nearly twenty years. That is a steep price for that car.

The nicest one I've ever seen is for sale. It has 32,000 miles (I think). It's an OCA senior preservation car. The price is three times that.
Old July 14th, 2023, 08:07 AM

Kent,

Do you have the VIN for that car? Does it happen to end in 4313651?

Last edited by Rocketguy; July 14th, 2023 at 08:21 AM.
Old July 14th, 2023, 08:56 AM
JKW

No it is 1G3CV54C9L4338865
Old July 14th, 2023, 09:21 AM

I see. An identical colored and equipped one surfaced for sale in 2013.
I was one buyer away and lost it. The seller told me the new owner was on the east coast.

Old July 14th, 2023, 10:26 AM
JKW

The one I was looking at in NH did change hands and came to MA in 2013 but it did not have fog lights. The car fax report said it started in Idaho and then Oregon. The picture you had show CA plate. Car Fax said nothing about being registered in CA. Lots can happen in 10 year but the one you sent an image of is in better shape then the one out here. He also had a parts car, it was black but he said someone had painted it black. What did it sell for when you lost it in 2013? He did not say a lot about where the car here came from, I learned more from Car Fax then from what he told me.. so who knows.
Old July 14th, 2023, 12:47 PM

It was a different VIN so it's not the same car.

The car I pictured was for sale in CA in 2013. It had 46,000 miles and was owned by an elderly man who kept it stored in a garage. The price was $4500. With the exact same equipment and color, and that your car was rust free I thought there may be a chance. The CA car disappeared; or so I thought. I just did a search on the VIN and it came up. The car only has 3K more miles on it.

https://www.2040-cars.com/Oldsmobile...apsule-536213/

It does not say where it is or give a price or have pics, but that's the car.

Fog lamps were standard on the TS. Anywhere there was snow they didn't' last, just like the Bonneville SSE. My car came from PA and they were missing. The lamps are easy to find, but good luck finding a pair of mounting brackets.
Old July 14th, 2023, 12:50 PM

More pics from the 2013 sale add. It was May 13, 2013.

Old July 14th, 2023, 03:34 PM
JKW

The link showed a map of Lynnfield, ma. Does that mean it’s here in Mass? Any other way to track down owner?
Old July 14th, 2023, 06:52 PM
JKW

Love to find that one with 40k miles !
Old August 2nd, 2023, 05:46 PM
JKW

OTS in NY

Found an 87 in Brooklyn, NY was in Pa and has low miles. Anyone know a trustworthy Olds guy that might take a look at it for me?
if anyone is in NY and interested in checking it out or if you know a reasonable agent. Please let me know.
Thanks
Kent