Pushbutton air vent controls not working

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2024, 10:13 PM

Pushbutton air vent controls not working

All parts and hoses concerning the a/c system on my 1968 Olds 98 beyond the large box on the engine firewall was removed by the previous owner.
Since then, new heater hoses have been installed and the blower motor works. Problem is very little heat comes out.
The other issue is that the pushbuttons that control the air vents will not stay depressed and allow air into the cabin.
I suspect the vacuum diaphragms that control those push buttons are broken. Does anyone have any ideas on fixes, and how to access them.
Thanks, Ian
Old March 6th, 2024, 04:18 AM
Past Administrator

You need to be a small contortionist with longer than usuall arms that have six fingers on them and an extra thumb with eyes on the second finger. Pardon my frivolousness but it seems as though this would be necessary. Even with a big car like your 98 it is a tight squeeze under there. I pray for the health of your back...
Old March 6th, 2024, 09:11 AM
Art S

I had assisted someone before with similar issues but when I checked the pics I had uploaded it seems I messed them up moving them around when I tried to organize them into an album.
Anyway, do you have the service manual? In it shows the vacuum diagram and the lines are color coded and the color is on the hoses. I believe if vacuum is leaking anywhere the switches won't hold or the mechanism is dirty. My car is older but the mechanism is about the same. As Oldsguy said it's tight in there and very hard to see. It wasn't too bad for me because I had the whole dash out when I worked on it. It can be worked on using a flashlight and mirrors.

1961 Olds Super 88 Deluxe Heater Vacuum Lines

1961 Olds Super 88 Deluxe Heater Control