Replacement Wipers

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2022, 09:13 PM

Replacement Wipers

What do you guys use for wipers on 65 - 70 Olds 98's? The Tricos that I got from Rock Auto will not stay on.

Thanks!
Old October 7th, 2022, 02:05 AM
Rodney

Originally Posted by Bigsk8r
What do you guys use for wipers on 65 - 70 Olds 98's? The Tricos that I got from Rock Auto will not stay on.

Thanks!
I'm gonna piggyback on Larry's thread as I too need a source for blade refills, but for a '72 A-body car. The auto parts stores only stock the full replacements with the blades and the spring-loaded housings. My car has hidden wipers when parked and these modern replacements won't work; I just need the refill blades. Hoping to learn.

Rodney
Old October 7th, 2022, 05:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

"Will not stay on" how? I use Trico Classics on all my 1960s cars with no issues.
Old October 7th, 2022, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
"Will not stay on" how? I use Trico Classics on all my 1960s cars with no issues.
The small cylinder on the arm side does not extended far enough into the wiper to fully engage. The wiper is too thick and there is no “click”. As a result, as soon as you let go, the spring action on the arm collapses the wiper sideways.

If you would be kind enough to post a pic of your Classics, I will compare widths. It may just be that Rock Auto has the wrong Trico model selected.

Oddly enough…. Amazon says the Trico Classic does not fit, but that several other models - including other Trico - do. The Classic is what I bought from Rock Auto for my 1970 Ninety Eight.

Last edited by Bigsk8r; October 7th, 2022 at 06:21 AM.
Old October 7th, 2022, 08:00 AM

I have resorted to buying longer refills, removing the rubber insert, trimming it to length, and putting the new rubber insert into the old metal rails. Been doing this for years on my Jeep that has 13” blades, which have been difficult to find for a long time.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/tools/wi...r+blade+refill
Old October 7th, 2022, 01:43 PM

I just bought new arms that were the appropriate size and salvaged the inserts for the metal arms on the 71. I didn't know you could still buy just the inserts.
Old October 7th, 2022, 02:37 PM

It's hard to find the inserts. My local auto parts stores quit carrying them a long time ago, after cars started having different length wipers left / right. Rock Auto was my go-to, but apparently the manufacturers have stopped making a lot of the insert lengths.
Old October 7th, 2022, 03:44 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Bigsk8r
The small cylinder on the arm side does not extended far enough into the wiper to fully engage. The wiper is too thick and there is no “click”.
Can you post a photo? I've sometimes had a problem getting the spring to snap down into the thin section of the pin.
Old October 8th, 2022, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Can you post a photo? I've sometimes had a problem getting the spring to snap down into the thin section of the pin.
Went back to the invoice and found out they are Trico Neoform, not Classic. Found the Classic online and it looks way more suitable. The adapter in the Neoform "fits" but is very weak and the wiper just folds over. Too cheap.
Old October 8th, 2022, 06:54 PM

Also... the NAPA Exact Fit snapped right on this evening. Will eventually get Trico Classic or another chrome OEM looking blade, but these will do for a while...
Old October 9th, 2022, 11:53 AM

Napa even sells a 'Classic' wiper blade. They're not usually on the shelf, but can be ordered within a few days.