Transmission Rebuild Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2024, 08:49 AM

Transmission Rebuild Recommendations

So after 53 years, the TH400 in the old girl has given out. As I do not yet have a large garage, cherry picker, or engine stand, I will need to locate a shop to do the work. Although it will be costly, I am thinking to have the following done and would appreciate any recommendations:

- Pull engine and transmission
- Rebuild transmission
- Replace pan gasket, rear main seal, and any other seals that are easily accessible with the engine out.
- Replace motor and transmission mounts

As a potential item that is easier now than later... get the left side dual exhaust manifold and go ahead with new, stainless dual exhasut. May not make that expense yet though...

Thanks!

Last edited by Bigsk8r; February 22nd, 2024 at 09:02 AM.
Old February 22nd, 2024, 08:57 AM

Sounds like a good plan. Where are you located?

You mentioned stainless exhaust, you won't be able to buy any kits for your car the way guys do for their Cutlass. I suggest you take the car to a local exhaust shop once the engine and transmission work is done and see what they can do. You can get exhaust manifolds out without lifting the engine. It's a PITA though.
Old February 22nd, 2024, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Sounds like a good plan. Where are you located?

You mentioned stainless exhaust, you won't be able to buy any kits for your car the way guys do for their Cutlass. I suggest you take the car to a local exhaust shop once the engine and transmission work is done and see what they can do. You can get exhaust manifolds out without lifting the engine. It's a PITA though.
Located in Austin area of Texas. Live in a Northern suburb called Leander. Asking around now for local recommendations.

Fortunately, when the blowout of the dipstick happend, my son limped it straight to my place and parked it in the cul-de-sac in front of our house. So, getting a tow truck to it, and getting it to a shop once one is selected will be the easy part.
Old February 22nd, 2024, 05:26 PM
Roy Ale

I keep blowing out frost plugs , so could change all frost plugs and when transmission has been disconnected from engine , look for a frost plug at back of engine . There is one frost plug i did not change yet , it is too close to the dip stick tube , i could not get the dipstick tube out without breaking it so i still have at least one rusty frost plug that i can see .