1968 Olds 98 front drums

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2024, 09:56 AM

1968 Olds 98 front drums

I am having a tough time finding front drums for my 1968 Olds 98 with 14 inch OEM wheels.
There is no disc brake kit that works with this model, so I am stuck trying to rehab the drums.
If any body knows where I can acquire a set of finned cast iron front drums that are 11 inch ID and take 2 3/4 pads and knock out hubs I would appreciate a heads up.
I thought I had an alternate. NAPA has new cast iron front drums for the 1968 Olds Toronado. Everything fits, except the pads overhang the drum rim by about 3/16 inch.
Someone suggested grinding the pad down till it is level with the drum rim. I do not know if that would work and if the braking efficiency would be impacted.
He mentioned that full size Pontiacs of the same era (1968 Catalina, Bonneville) only have 2 1/2 inch pads and stop OK.
Any suggestion are welcome.
Thanks,
Ian
Old January 26th, 2024, 12:20 PM

I have a 1968 Olds 98 for parts, but I need to keep it as a roller for now. If I can get the hubs off and keep them on the car, could you use the drums with your hubs? If so, I'll pull one and take some measurements and photos for you to compare with yours. John
Old January 26th, 2024, 11:38 PM

Hello John,
Thank you for offering to see if your set of front drums might work. It would be great if they did. I will be happy to pay for them and the shipment cost.
I have a place in Illinois that will take the drums and fit a steel liner so they can then be machined to the correct tolerances.
If you can take photos of the drums I will have send them the shots so they can determine if they can use them or not.
I hope so.
I sent them a finned cast iron front drum set for my 1968 Olds 98 with14 inch wheels that had I acquired earlier, but they accidently cracked them and rendered them un-useable.
My email address is: 6898ian@gmail.com
I am located in San Diego.
Ian
Old January 27th, 2024, 06:53 AM

If Johns drums don't work out I have a '68 98 that might have a good set. I'd like to get rid of the whole car but would consider pulling the drums.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...n-sale-163303/

Do you need any other parts?
BTW, I am in WISCONSIN

Old January 27th, 2024, 09:20 AM

Hello John,
Minibike Mark on the Classic Oldsmobile site may have a set of front drums that might work. It would save you having to pull yours. I have sent him a note and hopefully he will contact me. Sit tight for now. I will keep you posted. Send me your email address.
Thanks,
Ian
Old January 27th, 2024, 09:22 AM

Good morning Ian. From the other thread it sounds like you may be able to purchase the drums and more from Mark's car. For now, I won't take the time to remove mine. If your unable to work out a deal with Mark let me know and I'll see what I can do. Mine is a 4 door hardtop so things like door panels will not interchange with your convertible. John
Old January 28th, 2024, 01:59 PM

1968 Delta 88 Custom front brake drums.
Old January 31st, 2024, 05:21 AM

I was able to pull the drums last night:

Old February 5th, 2024, 10:36 PM

Give me a call when you get a chance
Old March 3rd, 2024, 02:51 AM

Glad i caught this

Originally Posted by AussieIan
I am having a tough time finding front drums for my 1968 Olds 98 with 14 inch OEM wheels.
There is no disc brake kit that works with this model, so I am stuck trying to rehab the drums.
If any body knows where I can acquire a set of finned cast iron front drums that are 11 inch ID and take 2 3/4 pads and knock out hubs I would appreciate a heads up.
I thought I had an alternate. NAPA has new cast iron front drums for the 1968 Olds Toronado. Everything fits, except the pads overhang the drum rim by about 3/16 inch.
Someone suggested grinding the pad down till it is level with the drum rim. I do not know if that would work and if the braking efficiency would be impacted.
He mentioned that full size Pontiacs of the same era (1968 Catalina, Bonneville) only have 2 1/2 inch pads and stop OK.
Any suggestion are welcome.
Thanks,
Ian
saw you have the 68 98 olds i just bought one and it sounds to me like i might end up with the same problem havent been far enough into the breaks i do know that at least one front drum is stuck .You say napa has parts for the Toronado and it all works on the 98but pads are 3/16 outside the drum i dont know what the shoe looks like but i might try taking equal parts off each side of the shoes first i belive it will work fine as long as it dosent grind over into the rivet holes that hold it together they might seperate seeing your problem when i cross my bridge to breaks im hopeing mine will free up with a little bump and rock when i get it fiered and going again but ill soner or later have to change it all to so i think a set of shoes with that little bit off each side might work just as good as if you went to the pontiac 2 1/2 might be a little cheaper and you can keep the wider drum sounds good but will it work as good not sure just bouncing ideas out that might work for both of us keep in mind i dint know how the shoes look from this car yet they should be close to what the full size pontiacs look like if they are you should have no problem just take even amounts from each side of all the shoes they should line up even inside your drum to the biggest thing if you try that instead of grinding might try something its really a big belt sander with a platform that the shoe can be held and it will stay a lot more even unless your a killer with a grinder if you have any friends that work in a cabinet shop they will know what sander im talking about thats if you can talk them into it its all just a thought but i think thats what im going to try and its not going to be long your not taking much off of the shoes on eigther side the sander should be just right the belt is around 6 inches wide mabey a little wider when you go aginst the belt with the shoe go easy and hang on to it a course sanding belt will rip it out of you hands mark lines both sides and sand it to the line light touch and yoll see it start to take it off should stay a lot strighter and really should be much easier with that ill say good luck to both of us and let me know what works for you you might find something that works better when their is a will to drive a old car their is a way to fix it so you candrive it after all more than one way to stop a yauht with a 455 rocket throw out the anchor right!!! All the best let me know what happens
Old March 3rd, 2024, 08:27 AM

1965 - 1970 Olds 88 , 98 Brakes

Drums / Hub & Drums for the 1965 - 1966 & 1967 - 1970 OLDSMOBILE s Fronts have become among the " Unobtanium " category --- in the NEW World....
They have become strictly in the USED world --- or send them to that outfit that adds metal like a crankshaft @ $ 400 each.... ( Ouch !! )

I do have ( a few ) last sets of Front & Rear *** N.O.S. *** Asbestos *** Brake Shoes for those applications --- the softest, smooooooothest braking system known to mankind, the
only braking surface that actually stops a real vehicle, and doesn't rip up Brake Drums to smithereens....

Always best to simply call me --- 516 - 485 - 193five --- Craig......